Printer may not be connected - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Printer may not be connected - Ubuntu ; I'm unable to print, the status say "printer 'Deskjet_3740' may not be connected". trevor@leoben:~$ lsusb Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:7404 Hewlett-Packard Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c50e ...

  1. Printer may not be connected

    I'm unable to print, the status say "printer 'Deskjet_3740' may not be
    connected".

    trevor@leoben:~$ lsusb
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:7404 Hewlett-Packard
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. MX-1000 Cordless Mouse Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    Shows it is connected.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  2. Re: Printer may not be connected

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:59:54 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > I'm unable to print, the status say "printer 'Deskjet_3740' may not be
    > connected".
    >
    > trevor@leoben:~$ lsusb
    > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:7404 Hewlett-Packard Bus 001 Device 003: ID
    > 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. MX-1000 Cordless Mouse Receiver Bus 001 Device
    > 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > Shows it is connected.

    Yes, it is connected to your USB port. But in order to print it needs
    connected to your print driver, which may well be CUPS.

    Try using gnome-cups-manager to set up your printer. That's if you
    haven't already done so: you don't tell us.

    You can install gnome-cups-manager (if you don't have it) by using your
    package manager, e.g. Synaptic.

  3. Re: Printer may not be connected

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:59:54 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> I'm unable to print, the status say "printer 'Deskjet_3740' may not be
    >> connected".
    >>
    >> trevor@leoben:~$ lsusb
    >> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:7404 Hewlett-Packard Bus 001 Device 003: ID
    >> 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. MX-1000 Cordless Mouse Receiver Bus 001 Device
    >> 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>
    >> Shows it is connected.

    > Yes, it is connected to your USB port. But in order to print it needs
    > connected to your print driver, which may well be CUPS.
    >
    > Try using gnome-cups-manager to set up your printer. That's if you
    > haven't already done so: you don't tell us.
    >
    > You can install gnome-cups-manager (if you don't have it) by using your
    > package manager, e.g. Synaptic.

    That's how I got my Epson printer working. I'm using a parallel to usb
    adapter and it works if anyone was wondering about that.

  4. Re: Printer may not be connected

    al wrote:

    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:59:54 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm unable to print, the status say "printer 'Deskjet_3740' may not be
    >>> connected".
    >>>
    >>> trevor@leoben:~$ lsusb
    >>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:7404 Hewlett-Packard Bus 001 Device 003: ID
    >>> 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. MX-1000 Cordless Mouse Receiver Bus 001 Device
    >>> 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>>
    >>> Shows it is connected.

    >> Yes, it is connected to your USB port. But in order to print it needs
    >> connected to your print driver, which may well be CUPS.
    >>
    >> Try using gnome-cups-manager to set up your printer. That's if you
    >> haven't already done so: you don't tell us.
    >>
    >> You can install gnome-cups-manager (if you don't have it) by using your
    >> package manager, e.g. Synaptic.

    > That's how I got my Epson printer working. I'm using a parallel to usb
    > adapter and it works if anyone was wondering about that.

    Furthermore, the DeskJet 3740 is supported.

    http://hplip.sourceforge.net/models/...kjet_3740.html

    So the OP might simply need to use the HPLIP tools to install it.

  5. Re: Printer may not be connected

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:38:27 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > al wrote:
    >
    >> Robin T Cox wrote:

    >>> Yes, it is connected to your USB port. But in order to print it needs
    >>> connected to your print driver, which may well be CUPS.
    >>>
    >>> Try using gnome-cups-manager to set up your printer. That's if you
    >>> haven't already done so: you don't tell us.
    >>>
    >>> You can install gnome-cups-manager (if you don't have it) by using your
    >>> package manager, e.g. Synaptic.

    >> That's how I got my Epson printer working. I'm using a parallel to usb
    >> adapter and it works if anyone was wondering about that.

    > Furthermore, the DeskJet 3740 is supported.
    >
    > http://hplip.sourceforge.net/models/...kjet_3740.html
    >
    > So the OP might simply need to use the HPLIP tools to install it.

    I've got the gnome-cups-manager installed, made no difference. HPLIP
    thinks it's there, only the head cleaning option makes the printer do
    anything (not sure if it cleaned the heads, just made a noise). I'm able
    to print from Windows and from a LiveCD (LinuxMint in this case).

    I tried deleting the printer then adding it again, it doesn't offer me
    3740 as a driver (The Mint LiveCD did). It has worked before in Ubuntu
    (Hardy), I don't remember doing anything special to make it work before,
    just did it out of the box.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  6. Re: Printer may not be connected

    > I tried deleting the printer then adding it again, it doesn't offer me
    > 3740 as a driver (The Mint LiveCD did). It has worked before in Ubuntu
    > (Hardy), I don't remember doing anything special to make it work before,
    > just did it out of the box.

    Im going to say something daft, but what about smb / samba ? Or are they
    just for connecting to a windows network ?

  7. Re: Printer may not be connected

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:29:05 +0100, Confused Donkey wrote:

    >> I tried deleting the printer then adding it again, it doesn't offer me
    >> 3740 as a driver (The Mint LiveCD did). It has worked before in Ubuntu
    >> (Hardy), I don't remember doing anything special to make it work before,
    >> just did it out of the box.

    > Im going to say something daft, but what about smb / samba ? Or are they
    > just for connecting to a windows network ?

    Maybe not so daft, I did remove them as I don't actually use them (or
    haven't for a while) and I can't put my finger on when the print problem
    started (I don't print a lot).

    I'll try putting them back on and see what happens.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  8. Re: Printer may not be connected

    Confused Donkey wrote:

    >> I tried deleting the printer then adding it again, it doesn't offer me
    >> 3740 as a driver (The Mint LiveCD did). It has worked before in Ubuntu
    >> (Hardy), I don't remember doing anything special to make it work before,
    >> just did it out of the box.

    > Im going to say something daft, but what about smb / samba ? Or are they
    > just for connecting to a windows network ?

    You /can/ print using Samba, but that is rarely used in a linux environment

    Actually, normally Samba is only used when *providing* SMB services
    --
    There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
    everybody into two kinds of people, and everybody else

  9. Re: Printer may not be connected

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 20:21:59 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Confused Donkey wrote:
    >
    >>> I tried deleting the printer then adding it again, it doesn't offer me
    >>> 3740 as a driver (The Mint LiveCD did). It has worked before in Ubuntu
    >>> (Hardy), I don't remember doing anything special to make it work before,
    >>> just did it out of the box.

    >> Im going to say something daft, but what about smb / samba ? Or are they
    >> just for connecting to a windows network ?

    > You /can/ print using Samba, but that is rarely used in a linux environment
    >
    > Actually, normally Samba is only used when *providing* SMB services

    Heres a technical question for you. Im running a clarkconnect firewall.
    Its access by three machines. The setup is
    internet-firewall-wireless/wired router-three machines.

    all of the machines have win xp in some form, ie mine is dual booting with
    xp and linux. The firewall has shared folders and an intranet, plus my
    printer is also connected to the firewall via parallel cable.

    So the win xp machines need samba / smb to connect to the shared folders /
    printer ?

  10. Re: Printer may not be connected

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 16:01:07 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:38:27 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> al wrote:

    >>> That's how I got my Epson printer working. I'm using a parallel to usb
    >>> adapter and it works if anyone was wondering about that.

    >> Furthermore, the DeskJet 3740 is supported.
    >>
    >> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/models/...kjet_3740.html
    >>
    >> So the OP might simply need to use the HPLIP tools to install it.

    > I've got the gnome-cups-manager installed, made no difference. HPLIP
    > thinks it's there, only the head cleaning option makes the printer do
    > anything (not sure if it cleaned the heads, just made a noise). I'm able
    > to print from Windows and from a LiveCD (LinuxMint in this case).
    >
    > I tried deleting the printer then adding it again, it doesn't offer me
    > 3740 as a driver (The Mint LiveCD did). It has worked before in Ubuntu
    > (Hardy), I don't remember doing anything special to make it work before,
    > just did it out of the box.

    The driver it chooses automatically is:
    HP DeskJet 1600CM Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  11. Re: Printer may not be connected

    * Trevor Best peremptorily fired off this memo:

    A faceless XFace, that's a new one!

    --
    Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last
    you are going to see of him until he emerges on the other side of his

  12. Re: Printer may not be connected

    * Confused Donkey peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > So the win xp machines need samba / smb to connect to the shared folders /
    > printer ?

    No. Windows boxes come preloaded with Microsoft Samba.

    --
    Brain damage is all in your head.
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

+ Reply to Thread