    Thanks,
    Al

  2. Re: executable text file

    On 2008-08-02, al wrote:
    > How do I change a plain text file so that it will display when double
    > clicking it? A box keeps popping up asking if I want to run the file or
    > display it. I knew how to do this once upon a time but have forgotten.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Al

    This is Gnome you're talking about? You're looking for something in
    the Nautilus prefs box; can't quite remember what as I haven't used
    Gnome for ages...

    --
    I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should
    I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell?

  3. Re: executable text file

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-08-02, al wrote:
    >> How do I change a plain text file so that it will display when double
    >> clicking it? A box keeps popping up asking if I want to run the file or
    >> display it. I knew how to do this once upon a time but have forgotten.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Al

    > This is Gnome you're talking about? You're looking for something in
    > the Nautilus prefs box; can't quite remember what as I haven't used
    > Gnome for ages...

    Yes, it's Gnome. I did something in the command line once to fix this,
    but after upgrading I lost my text file that had my list of command line
    tips in it.

    I don't know what the Nautilus prefs box is, but I'm assuming it's the
    box that pops up with different options on what to do with the file.
    That's what I'm wanting to stop.

  4. Re: executable text file

    al wrote:
    > TomB wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-02, al wrote:
    >>> How do I change a plain text file so that it will display when double
    >>> clicking it? A box keeps popping up asking if I want to run the file
    >>> or display it. I knew how to do this once upon a time but have
    >>> forgotten.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Al

    >> This is Gnome you're talking about? You're looking for something in
    >> the Nautilus prefs box; can't quite remember what as I haven't used
    >> Gnome for ages...
    >>

    > Yes, it's Gnome. I did something in the command line once to fix this,
    > but after upgrading I lost my text file that had my list of command line
    > tips in it.
    >
    > I don't know what the Nautilus prefs box is, but I'm assuming it's the
    > box that pops up with different options on what to do with the file.
    > That's what I'm wanting to stop.

    Okay, I know how now. In the terminal, I type chmod -x 'filename' and
    that fixes it.

  5. Re: executable text file

    On 2008-08-02, al wrote:
    > al wrote:
    >> TomB wrote:

    >>> This is Gnome you're talking about? You're looking for something in
    >>> the Nautilus prefs box; can't quite remember what as I haven't used
    >>> Gnome for ages...
    >>>

    >> Yes, it's Gnome. I did something in the command line once to fix this,
    >> but after upgrading I lost my text file that had my list of command line
    >> tips in it.
    >>
    >> I don't know what the Nautilus prefs box is, but I'm assuming it's the
    >> box that pops up with different options on what to do with the file.
    >> That's what I'm wanting to stop.

    > Okay, I know how now. In the terminal, I type chmod -x 'filename' and
    > that fixes it.

    Ah, you just wanted to remove the x flag of a single file. Anyway, in
    the Nautilus preferences (under the Edit menu I think) you can also
    tell Nautilus to display the text file, regardless of the x flag being
    set or not.

    --
    In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And
    there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole

+ Reply to Thread