does the FTP daemon track files? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on does the FTP daemon track files? - Ubuntu ; This may be a stupid question. I'm grateful to anyone who can help me out. I'm working for a company that grants its clients FTP access to particular directories on the server. Each client gets their own directory. Some of ...

  1. does the FTP daemon track files?

    This may be a stupid question. I'm grateful to anyone who can help me out.

    I'm working for a company that grants its clients FTP access to
    particular directories on the server. Each client gets their own
    directory. Some of the XML data they upload needs to be imported to a
    database. The XML data describes a set of images and music files, which
    are also being uploaded.

    Here is the problem - associating the XML with the right files.

    Let's say one client uploads a set files on Monday, more files on
    Tuesday, and more on Wednesday. Then on Friday, we want to import that
    data to the database.

    We already record the PID of each FTP upload session. So we know when
    the client uploaded stuff on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But how do
    we figure out what files were uploaded on what day? Is there anyway to
    use the PID to track the files? Would the FTP daemon, or any other
    software on the server, be aware of this?

    -- lawrence

  2. Re: does the FTP daemon track files?

    Hi

    What FTP daemon are you talking about as currently I use pureftpd and it
    does in /var/log/messages.

    Mike

    "Lawrence Krubner" wrote in message
    news:CKedndBckb756A7VnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@earthlink.co m...

    > This may be a stupid question. I'm grateful to anyone who can help me out.
    >
    > I'm working for a company that grants its clients FTP access to particular
    > directories on the server. Each client gets their own directory. Some of
    > the XML data they upload needs to be imported to a database. The XML data
    > describes a set of images and music files, which are also being uploaded.
    >
    > Here is the problem - associating the XML with the right files.
    >
    > Let's say one client uploads a set files on Monday, more files on Tuesday,
    > and more on Wednesday. Then on Friday, we want to import that data to the
    > database.
    >
    > We already record the PID of each FTP upload session. So we know when the
    > client uploaded stuff on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But how do we
    > figure out what files were uploaded on what day? Is there anyway to use
    > the PID to track the files? Would the FTP daemon, or any other software on
    > the server, be aware of this?
    >
    > -- lawrence

  3. Re: does the FTP daemon track files?

    "Michael John Ruff" writes:

    >Hi

    >What FTP daemon are you talking about as currently I use pureftpd and it
    >does in /var/log/messages.

    >Mike

    >"Lawrence Krubner" wrote in message
    >news:CKedndBckb756A7VnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    >>
    >> This may be a stupid question. I'm grateful to anyone who can help me out.
    >>
    >> I'm working for a company that grants its clients FTP access to particular
    >> directories on the server. Each client gets their own directory. Some of
    >> the XML data they upload needs to be imported to a database. The XML data
    >> describes a set of images and music files, which are also being uploaded.
    >>
    >> Here is the problem - associating the XML with the right files.
    >>
    >> Let's say one client uploads a set files on Monday, more files on Tuesday,
    >> and more on Wednesday. Then on Friday, we want to import that data to the
    >> database.
    >>
    >> We already record the PID of each FTP upload session. So we know when the
    >> client uploaded stuff on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But how do we
    >> figure out what files were uploaded on what day? Is there anyway to use
    >> the PID to track the files? Would the FTP daemon, or any other software on
    >> the server, be aware of this?

    Each file has a modification date.
    ls -l filename
    will show it to you. As long as you do not modify the files that date will
    tell you when the file was made.

  4. Re: does the FTP daemon track files?

    On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 16:43 -0400, Lawrence Krubner wrote:
    > This may be a stupid question. I'm grateful to anyone who can help me out.
    >
    > I'm working for a company that grants its clients FTP access to
    > particular directories on the server. Each client gets their own
    > directory. Some of the XML data they upload needs to be imported to a
    > database. The XML data describes a set of images and music files, which
    > are also being uploaded.
    >
    > Here is the problem - associating the XML with the right files.
    >
    > Let's say one client uploads a set files on Monday, more files on
    > Tuesday, and more on Wednesday. Then on Friday, we want to import that
    > data to the database.
    >
    > We already record the PID of each FTP upload session. So we know when
    > the client uploaded stuff on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But how do
    > we figure out what files were uploaded on what day? Is there anyway to
    > use the PID to track the files? Would the FTP daemon, or any other
    > software on the server, be aware of this?

    There should be a separate ftplog in /var/log/ If not, enable it in your
    daemon.

+ Reply to Thread