flash options - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on flash options - Ubuntu ; In Windows there are separate flash plugins for IE and for Mozilla. This allows me to have one browser with flash (IE, where it's not too difficult to disable by hand) and one without (SeaMonkey, which once infected is hard ...

  1. flash options

    In Windows there are separate flash plugins for IE and for Mozilla. This
    allows me to have one browser with flash (IE, where it's not too
    difficult to disable by hand) and one without (SeaMonkey, which once
    infected is hard to cleanse).

    On Linux I'm using SeaMonkey and Firefox. It appears that there is only
    one plugin which is shared by all browsers. Is there a way (without
    using another plugin) to have one browser work with flash and the other
    ignore it?

    Jose

  2. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:

    > In Windows there are separate flash plugins for IE and for Mozilla.
    > This allows me to have one browser with flash (IE, where it's not too
    > difficult to disable by hand) and one without (SeaMonkey, which once
    > infected is hard to cleanse).

    SeaMonkey infected? What do you mean by that?

    > On Linux I'm using SeaMonkey and Firefox. It appears that there is
    > only one plugin which is shared by all browsers. Is there a way
    > (without using another plugin) to have one browser work with flash
    > and the other ignore it?

    Why not install a browser not of the Mozilla family? (Maybe they both
    share the plugin.) Add Opera to your mix and don't add Flash.

    http://www.opera.com/download/linux/

    --
    -bts

  3. Re: flash options

    Jose schreef:
    > In Windows there are separate flash plugins for IE and for Mozilla. This
    > allows me to have one browser with flash (IE, where it's not too
    > difficult to disable by hand) and one without (SeaMonkey, which once
    > infected is hard to cleanse).
    >
    > On Linux I'm using SeaMonkey and Firefox. It appears that there is only
    > one plugin which is shared by all browsers. Is there a way (without
    > using another plugin) to have one browser work with flash and the other
    > ignore it?
    >
    > Jose

    I think you are confused.
    If any problems would arise out of Flash IE is the weakest link.

    For Firefox there is since a long time the Flashblock plugin, both for
    Windows and Linux.
    It works perfectly, you get a little icon in place of the Flash object
    and when you click it you can enable it for this one time.

    In case there is a site that requires Flash you can set it to allow
    Flash on this specific site.
    No problem!

  4. Re: flash options

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:58:43 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > SeaMonkey infected? What do you mean by that?

    Infected by flash, if I install the plugin.

    > Why not install a browser not of the Mozilla family?

    I would, but that's why I was asking first. It seems that all browsers
    in Ubuntu use the same plugin for flash, but I'm new to Linxu so there's
    a very slight possibility that I am mistaken.

    Does Mozilla and Opera use the same flash plugin? Is it typical for a
    plugin to be shared among browsers, or is it (instead) typical that each
    browser has its own plugin for something like flash?

    Jose

    Jose

  5. Re: flash options

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 23:29:44 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > I think you are confused.
    > If any problems would arise out of Flash IE is the weakest link.

    I'm not confused - flash =is= the problem, though one I am sometimes
    forced to deal with.

    > For Firefox there is since a long time the Flashblock plugin

    I was looking to do this without another plugin. But it does sound like
    a good one from what you say.

    Jose

  6. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> SeaMonkey infected? What do you mean by that?

    > Infected by flash, if I install the plugin.

    Poor choice of words. You are not "infected". There's nothing much wrong
    with Flash, other than its annoyance factors.

    >> Why not install a browser not of the Mozilla family?

    > I would, but that's why I was asking first. It seems that all
    > browsers in Ubuntu use the same plugin for flash, but I'm new to
    > Linxu so there's a very slight possibility that I am mistaken.
    >
    > Does Mozilla and Opera use the same flash plugin? Is it typical for
    > a plugin to be shared among browsers, or is it (instead) typical that
    > each browser has its own plugin for something like flash?

    I have Firefox (and SeaMonkey) working with Flash, and Opera without.
    Ubuntu 8.04.1

    --
    -bts

  7. Re: flash options

    Jose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:58:43 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> SeaMonkey infected? What do you mean by that?

    > Infected by flash, if I install the plugin.

    What does this mean?

    --
    "So I got home, and the phone was ringing. I picked it up, and said
    'Who's speaking please?' And a voice said 'You are.'" ~ Tim Vine

  8. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:
    > Is there a way (without
    > using another plugin) to have one browser work with flash and the other
    > ignore it?

    Opera and konqueror give you the option to remove or turn off plugins.
    At the very least change their path to where there is no flash plugin.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: flash options

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:51:07 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> Infected by flash, if I install the plugin.

    > What does this mean?

    It means I consider flash itself to be an infection. It's a dig.

    I will probably either install opera (once I figure out how to add it to
    my repository) or a flashblock plugin for Mozilla (which sounds like just
    the ticket).

    Thanks for all your replies.

    Jose

  10. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 23:29:44 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> I think you are confused.
    >> If any problems would arise out of Flash IE is the weakest link.

    > I'm not confused - flash =is= the problem, though one I am sometimes
    > forced to deal with.
    >
    >> For Firefox there is since a long time the Flashblock plugin

    > I was looking to do this without another plugin. But it does sound like
    > a good one from what you say.

    If you do not want the extension then in FF

    Tools > Addons > Plugins find Shockwave Flash and click the Disable
    button...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  11. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:58:43 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >

    >> SeaMonkey infected? What do you mean by that?
    >>

    > Infected by flash, if I install the plugin.
    >

    >> Why not install a browser not of the Mozilla family?
    >>

    > I would, but that's why I was asking first. It seems that all browsers
    > in Ubuntu use the same plugin for flash, but I'm new to Linxu so there's
    > a very slight possibility that I am mistaken.
    >
    > Does Mozilla and Opera use the same flash plugin? Is it typical for a
    > plugin to be shared among browsers, or is it (instead) typical that each
    > browser has its own plugin for something like flash?
    >
    > Jose

    From past experience, and if I can still remember correctly since it
    has been several years, I have installed plugins separately for each
    browser (Mozilla and Firefox anyway). This may be because I installed
    the plugin in each browser's directory inside my /home directory,
    instead of a common area that is now recommended, which uses a symlink
    in each browser's directory to point back to /usr/local or wherever the
    actual plugin was installed.

    So, with that logic in mind, it should be possible to install separate
    plugins in each browser's directory, instead of a central location where
    the symlinks all point. Multiple user profiles should also provide some
    isolation between which profile was active. I'm thinking browser
    "profiles" here, and not system user accounts, which could also be used
    but would probably be too much isolation for normal use.

    As suggested by others, a good solution would be an extension which
    provides a means to shut off a plugin, or use another browser like Opera.

    The Moz-type browsers will display all of the loaded plugins if you
    enter aboutlugins in the URL box.

    --
    John

  12. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:
    > In Windows there are separate flash plugins for IE and for Mozilla. This
    > allows me to have one browser with flash (IE, where it's not too
    > difficult to disable by hand) and one without (SeaMonkey, which once
    > infected is hard to cleanse).
    >
    > On Linux I'm using SeaMonkey and Firefox. It appears that there is only
    > one plugin which is shared by all browsers. Is there a way (without
    > using another plugin) to have one browser work with flash and the other
    > ignore it?
    >
    > Jose

    Just install the flash block plug-in for Firefox, then the choice is
    your as to whether you view flash or not - no need for two browsers.

  13. Re: flash options

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 09:33:56 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    > From past experience, and if I can still remember correctly since it
    > has been several years, I have installed plugins separately for each
    > browser (Mozilla and Firefox anyway).

    Thanks all. With this info (and info from other posters) I decided to
    get the flash plugin for firefox, since [ref: Jonathan N. Little] it has
    a native "disable" button.

    I installed it into the usr/bin/firefox-3.0.1 directory, and it works for
    firefox but not for seamonkey. Perfect - just what I wanted.

    Jose

  14. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:
    > I installed it into the usr/bin/firefox-3.0.1 directory, and it works for
    > firefox but not for seamonkey. Perfect - just what I wanted.

    You have a firefox-3.0.1 directory in /usr/bin? Weird.

    IMO a manually added file doesn't belong into /usr/bin but into
    /usr/local/ or into ~. The system or an installer might
    overwrite anything in /usr/bin but not in the latter two. If this is
    a 'per user' customization, IMO ~/.mozilla/ or similar
    would be a good place.

    --
    Niklaus

  15. Re: flash options

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:33:47 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > You have a firefox-3.0.1 directory in /usr/bin? Weird.

    Oops. That should be usr/lib/firefox-3.0.1

    I was just obeying the installer and following its example. I installed
    using sudo, so it would be system wide, but I don't fully understand what
    this means - I assume that if I install just under my username, other
    users would not be able to run the program. True? False? Silly?

    Jose

  16. Re: flash options

    Jose wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:33:47 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > I was just obeying the installer and following its example.

    OK. I thought you did an entirely manual thing.

    > I installed
    > using sudo, so it would be system wide, but I don't fully understand what
    > this means - I assume that if I install just under my username, other
    > users would not be able to run the program. True? False? Silly?

    True. When any user runs a program it may look into /usr and /var but
    not into other users' home. Sudo ist just what you need to write to
    /usr, /var and such.

    --
    Niklaus

  17. Re: flash options

    >> Jose

    > Just install the flash block plug-in for Firefox, then the choice is
    > your as to whether you view flash or not - no need for two browsers.

    Why not install firefox & flash in your own home directory, install
    prefbar 4.1, then you can use them specifically just for you, and you can
    turn off flash whenever you want, without doing sudo.

+ Reply to Thread