mplayer, firefox, mouse - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on mplayer, firefox, mouse - Ubuntu ; Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click button) loses functionality within Firefox 3. It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin. The ...

  1. mplayer, firefox, mouse

    Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click
    button) loses functionality within Firefox 3.

    It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest
    episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin.

    The mouse wheel used to scroll up/down within Firefox. Now it makes
    fonts smaller/larger.

    Any idea what's up or how to correct this?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: mplayer, firefox, mouse

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click
    > button) loses functionality within Firefox 3.
    >
    > It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest
    > episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin.
    >
    > The mouse wheel used to scroll up/down within Firefox. Now it makes
    > fonts smaller/larger.
    >
    > Any idea what's up or how to correct this?

    That is normal behavior -- if -- the key is pressed.

    Something holding it down? Stuck contacts perhaps?

    Did you change the scroll behavior?

    Look in Firefox's configurations using the URL "about:config" and set
    the filter for "mouse" and see if something is changed. Items in
    boldface are usually indicative of a change from "factory defaults."

    It could be a system preferences setting, but you didn't specify your
    Desktop Environment (GNOME, KDE, ...), nor your distro (Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
    ....) nor the release version (6.06, 7.04, 8.04, ...). Way too many
    various combinations to make a wild guess on where the system
    preferences may be located, or even what they are called. Remember to be
    very specific when you want help.

    --
    John

  3. Re: mplayer, firefox, mouse

    * franz fripplfrappl wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click
    > button) loses functionality within Firefox 3.

    > It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest
    > episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin.

    > The mouse wheel used to scroll up/down within Firefox. Now it makes
    > fonts smaller/larger.

    > Any idea what's up or how to correct this?

    That behavior is typically triggered by holding down the CTL key while
    scrolling. Do you have Assistive Technologies enabled in
    System/Preferences?

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    What fools these morals be!

  4. Re: mplayer, firefox, mouse

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 00:00:26 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * franz fripplfrappl wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click
    >> button) loses functionality within Firefox 3.

    >> It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest
    >> episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin.

    >> The mouse wheel used to scroll up/down within Firefox. Now it makes
    >> fonts smaller/larger.

    >> Any idea what's up or how to correct this?

    > That behavior is typically triggered by holding down the CTL key while
    > scrolling. Do you have Assistive Technologies enabled in
    > System/Preferences?

    I know about the ctrl key, but this is not the case. If I close down
    Firefox for a few minutes and restart, the problem goes away.

    I do not have "Assistive Technologies" in the System/Pref menu!

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  5. Re: mplayer, firefox, mouse

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:04:52 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click
    > button) loses functionality within Firefox 3.
    >
    > It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest
    > episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin.
    >
    > The mouse wheel used to scroll up/down within Firefox. Now it makes
    > fonts smaller/larger.
    >
    > Any idea what's up or how to correct this?

    There is definitely a connection between Flashplayer 9 plugin for Firefox
    and the disabling of the mousewheel or causing it to be something else.

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  6. Re: mplayer, firefox, mouse

    On 2008-08-01, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > Recently I have noticed that my mouse wheel (also the middle click
    > button) loses functionality within Firefox 3.
    >
    > It seems to happen whenever I watch a video, flash, etc. The latest
    > episode was after watching something in mplayer plugin.

    When the mouse is over an embedded application, it is under the
    control of that application, not firefox.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

+ Reply to Thread