(K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem" - Ubuntu ; Hi. I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 on an MSI VR610. Unfortunately I have a more or lesss mysterious audio problem. To get sound working correctly on my laptop, I found a tip to add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base: options snd-hda-intel ...

  1. (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    Hi.

    I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 on an MSI VR610. Unfortunately I have a more or
    lesss mysterious audio problem.

    To get sound working correctly on my laptop, I found a tip to add the
    following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
    options snd-hda-intel model=targa-dig

    Now in KMix I have a nice bunch of sliders for my audio settings, but
    haven't been able to figure out how to prevent my laptop to "record" the
    sound it makes whenever I hit some keys on my keyboard. It's pretty
    annoying when using Skype or trying to record some audio over microphone
    and whenever I hit keys while doing so this "keyboard noise" intereferes.

    Anyone had similar problems or an idea how to get rid of that? Would be
    great

    Greetings,

    Marce

  2. Re: (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    Marcel Müller wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 on an MSI VR610. Unfortunately I have a more or
    > lesss mysterious audio problem.
    >
    > To get sound working correctly on my laptop, I found a tip to add the
    > following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
    > options snd-hda-intel model=targa-dig
    >
    > Now in KMix I have a nice bunch of sliders for my audio settings, but
    > haven't been able to figure out how to prevent my laptop to "record" the
    > sound it makes whenever I hit some keys on my keyboard. It's pretty
    > annoying when using Skype or trying to record some audio over microphone
    > and whenever I hit keys while doing so this "keyboard noise" intereferes.
    >
    > Anyone had similar problems or an idea how to get rid of that? Would be
    > great
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Marce

    I have similar problems to you. With the programs I use I need to make
    adjustments to the sound using kmix, upon doing making an adjustment it
    ruins the sound for what ever else I'm doing.
    Play around with the switches and mutes until desired effect happens. You
    may need to restart the app your working with.

    goodluck
    darren
    --
    If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

  3. Re: (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    darren wrote:
    > Marcel Müller wrote:

    > > Now in KMix I have a nice bunch of sliders for my audio settings, but
    > > haven't been able to figure out how to prevent my laptop to "record" the
    > > sound it makes whenever I hit some keys on my keyboard. It's pretty
    > > annoying when using Skype or trying to record some audio over microphone
    > > and whenever I hit keys while doing so this "keyboard noise" intereferes.

    Switch that keyboard noise off in Gnome?

    --
    Niklaus

  4. Re: (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    hi

    >> > Now in KMix I have a nice bunch of sliders for my audio settings, but
    >> > haven't been able to figure out how to prevent my laptop to "record"
    >> > the sound it makes whenever I hit some keys on my keyboard. It's
    >> > pretty annoying when using Skype or trying to record some audio over
    >> > microphone and whenever I hit keys while doing so this "keyboard
    >> > noise" intereferes.

    > Switch that keyboard noise off in Gnome?

    As I said, it's more a Kubuntu with KDE running. Where would such a
    "switch off" be possible in gnome?

    In KMix I tried to switch different things on the input panel (Mic Boost,
    Capture (twice) and Digital), so far without success :/

    I wonder which input "device" is being used for the keystrokes to be
    audio-rec'd. Only success was switching both of those "capture" sliders
    off, but that also disables recording from the mic. As soon as I switch
    it back on, keyboard noise is being recorded..

    Greetings,

    Marcel

  5. Re: (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    Marcel Müller wrote:

    > As I said, it's more a Kubuntu with KDE running. Where would such a
    > "switch off" be possible in gnome?

    > In KMix I tried to switch different things on the input panel (Mic Boost,
    > Capture (twice) and Digital), so far without success :/

    > I wonder which input "device" is being used for the keystrokes to be
    > audio-rec'd. Only success was switching both of those "capture" sliders
    > off, but that also disables recording from the mic. As soon as I switch
    > it back on, keyboard noise is being recorded..

    Erm, what kind of sounds are you talking about? Not error and
    notification sounds from KDE? Does every key make a sound??

    --
    Niklaus

  6. Re: (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    Hi.

    > Erm, what kind of sounds are you talking about? Not error and
    > notification sounds from KDE? Does every key make a sound??

    Exactly. Disabling regular sounds is easy. Every key makes not quite a
    sound, but some clearly noticeable noise when recording. So it't not some
    assigned sounds, but the keystrokes themselves that are recorded (that
    "nice" clapping of the keys) :/

    Any ideas?

    Bye,

    Marcel

  7. Re: (K)Ubuntu 8.04 Audio "problem"

    On 2008-08-01, Marcel Müller hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 on an MSI VR610. Unfortunately I have a more or
    > lesss mysterious audio problem.
    >
    > To get sound working correctly on my laptop, I found a tip to add the
    > following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
    > options snd-hda-intel model=targa-dig
    >
    > Now in KMix I have a nice bunch of sliders for my audio settings, but
    > haven't been able to figure out how to prevent my laptop to "record" the
    > sound it makes whenever I hit some keys on my keyboard. It's pretty
    > annoying when using Skype or trying to record some audio over microphone
    > and whenever I hit keys while doing so this "keyboard noise" intereferes.

    You do know *how* mics work? Do you? *REALLY* ? :-)

    Of course there is one way I can suggest: Use audacity to
    *remove* the *noise*, if you record something that you want
    to keep. other than that I can't think of a solution for
    this problem, hey wait, get a *silent* keyboard or type less... :-)

    > Anyone had similar problems or an idea how to get rid of that? Would be
    > great
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Marce

    Dragomir Kollaric