Set my wireless default - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Set my wireless default - Ubuntu ; Ub 804 - graphical network settings problem. How to do it with a file. This system (potentially) has two types of network, a mobo integrated ethernet and a PCI wireless. In the past, I needed to be able to pick ...

  1. Set my wireless default

    Ub 804 - graphical network settings problem. How to do it with a file.

    This system (potentially) has two types of network, a mobo integrated
    ethernet and a PCI wireless. In the past, I needed to be able to pick
    which I was using, but now I'm exclusively using the wireless. The
    ethernet is disconnected now.

    But when I boot up, I have no connectivity. I have to go to the network
    settings applet manual configuration and twiddle around with the selection
    of the wireless (not wired) to get it to 'take'. Sometimes I have to
    reconfigure/rebuild wireless from scratch. I want the default to be the
    wireless without removing the wired option and without having to select or
    configure the wireless each time I log on.

    Is there a text file somewhere I can fix this? The network settings
    applet has the function 'Enable networking' checked, but it doesn't work
    the way it seems like it should. The network isn't (auto) 'enabled'; I
    not only have to enable it, I have to configure it for wired or wireless
    each time and sometimes I have to configure the wireless right down to
    re-WPAing it. In the applet, there is no (default) location seen when I
    access it. I have to use the menu to find wireless and then work on
    correcting an old wireless setting.

    If I completely remove the wired option from the configuration, I'm afraid
    I'll have trouble reinstalling it sometime when I need it.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: Set my wireless default

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:48:12 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    I want the default
    > to be the wireless without removing the wired option and without having
    > to select or configure the wireless each time I log on.

    wicd (which will replace the network manager applet) will do that for
    you: it allows you to set a default profile which it loads on start-up.

  3. Re: Set my wireless default

    Mike, what exactly is that wireless thing?

    Wifi? Or something else?

    On 2008-08-01, Mike Easter wrote:
    > Ub 804 - graphical network settings problem. How to do it with a file.
    >
    > This system (potentially) has two types of network, a mobo integrated
    > ethernet and a PCI wireless. In the past, I needed to be able to pick
    > which I was using, but now I'm exclusively using the wireless. The
    > ethernet is disconnected now.
    >
    > But when I boot up, I have no connectivity. I have to go to the network
    > settings applet manual configuration and twiddle around with the selection
    > of the wireless (not wired) to get it to 'take'. Sometimes I have to
    > reconfigure/rebuild wireless from scratch. I want the default to be the
    > wireless without removing the wired option and without having to select or
    > configure the wireless each time I log on.
    >
    > Is there a text file somewhere I can fix this? The network settings
    > applet has the function 'Enable networking' checked, but it doesn't work
    > the way it seems like it should. The network isn't (auto) 'enabled'; I
    > not only have to enable it, I have to configure it for wired or wireless
    > each time and sometimes I have to configure the wireless right down to
    > re-WPAing it. In the applet, there is no (default) location seen when I
    > access it. I have to use the menu to find wireless and then work on
    > correcting an old wireless setting.
    >
    > If I completely remove the wired option from the configuration, I'm afraid
    > I'll have trouble reinstalling it sometime when I need it.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Set my wireless default

    Ignoramus22222 wrote:

    > Mike, what exactly is that wireless thing?
    >
    > Wifi? Or something else?

    I see no wireless thing. It might have something to do with the
    abysmal use of top-posting.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Set my wireless default

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:48:12 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    > I want the default
    >> to be the wireless without removing the wired option and without having
    >> to select or configure the wireless each time I log on.
    >>

    > wicd (which will replace the network manager applet) will do that for
    > you: it allows you to set a default profile which it loads on start-up.

    Excellent! I added the wicd repo and then installed wicd with synaptic
    and everything is working just like I like.

    Thanks.

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php Installing Wicd in Ubuntu

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: Set my wireless default

    On 8/1/2008 11:52 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:48:12 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >> I want the default
    >>> to be the wireless without removing the wired option and without having
    >>> to select or configure the wireless each time I log on.
    >>>

    >> wicd (which will replace the network manager applet) will do that for
    >> you: it allows you to set a default profile which it loads on start-up.

    > Excellent! I added the wicd repo and then installed wicd with synaptic
    > and everything is working just like I like.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php Installing Wicd in Ubuntu
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Did you install the stable version (1.4.2) or the RC12 (1.5.0)? I still
    haven't decided which one to go for my laptop and it has been couple
    months now. Thanks!

    --
    Wing

  7. Re: Set my wireless default

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ub 804 - graphical network settings problem. How to do it with a file.
    >
    > This system (potentially) has two types of network, a mobo integrated
    > ethernet and a PCI wireless. In the past, I needed to be able to pick
    > which I was using, but now I'm exclusively using the wireless. The
    > ethernet is disconnected now.
    >
    > But when I boot up, I have no connectivity. I have to go to the network
    > settings applet manual configuration and twiddle around with the selection
    > of the wireless (not wired) to get it to 'take'. Sometimes I have to
    > reconfigure/rebuild wireless from scratch. I want the default to be the
    > wireless without removing the wired option and without having to select or
    > configure the wireless each time I log on.
    >
    > Is there a text file somewhere I can fix this? The network settings
    > applet has the function 'Enable networking' checked, but it doesn't work
    > the way it seems like it should. The network isn't (auto) 'enabled'; I
    > not only have to enable it, I have to configure it for wired or wireless
    > each time and sometimes I have to configure the wireless right down to
    > re-WPAing it. In the applet, there is no (default) location seen when I
    > access it. I have to use the menu to find wireless and then work on
    > correcting an old wireless setting.
    >
    > If I completely remove the wired option from the configuration, I'm afraid
    > I'll have trouble reinstalling it sometime when I need it.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    It's all controlled from
    /etc/network/interfaces

    You've probably got two "auto" entries jockeying for position.

    Comment one out. If you need to use it in the future, remove the
    comment and restart networking.

    Any other solution is simply "masking" the problem.

    Post the file and I'll offer a working solution.

    --
    "Well, my brother says Hello. So, hooray for speech therapy." ~ Emo
    Philips

  8. Re: Set my wireless default

    Wing wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> wicd (which will replace the network manager applet) will do that for
    >>> you: it allows you to set a default profile which it loads on
    >>> start-up.

    >> Excellent! I added the wicd repo and then installed wicd with synaptic
    >> and everything is working just like I like.

    > Did you install the stable version (1.4.2) or the RC12 (1.5.0)? I still
    > haven't decided which one to go for my laptop and it has been couple
    > months now. Thanks!

    1.4.2

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Set my wireless default

    Moog wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> This system (potentially) has two types of network, a mobo integrated
    >> ethernet and a PCI wireless.

    >> But when I boot up, I have no connectivity. I have to go to the
    >> network settings applet manual configuration and twiddle around with
    >> the selection of the wireless (not wired) to get it to 'take'.

    >> Is there a text file somewhere I can fix this?

    > It's all controlled from
    > /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > You've probably got two "auto" entries jockeying for position.
    >
    > Comment one out. If you need to use it in the future, remove the
    > comment and restart networking.
    >
    > Any other solution is simply "masking" the problem.
    >
    > Post the file and I'll offer a working solution.

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-psk