Ubuntu install: That was interesting - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu install: That was interesting - Ubuntu ; Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and it went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting ...

  1. Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a
    machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and
    it went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting
    GRUB working right. Somehow I had it set in my head that the GRUB
    bootloader would be put into my "C:" drive and on boot it would offer
    me the choice between Ubumtu and WinXP. Turns out I had to point my
    machine's BIOS at the 3 drive (hd2,0), I'm slow so it took me an hour
    to figure that out but now that GRUB is found everything works very
    well. Once I was playing in the linux a while I noticed that I was
    offered 244 update files, I'm not sure about that so I'll look closer
    later. Wasn't expecting that.

    Is there a newsreader similar to Forte Agent available for Ubuntu>

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:39:03 -0700, Bud wrote:

    > Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a
    > machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and
    > it went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting
    > GRUB working right. Somehow I had it set in my head that the GRUB
    > bootloader would be put into my "C:" drive and on boot it would offer
    > me the choice between Ubumtu and WinXP. Turns out I had to point my
    > machine's BIOS at the 3 drive (hd2,0), I'm slow so it took me an hour
    > to figure that out but now that GRUB is found everything works very
    > well. Once I was playing in the linux a while I noticed that I was
    > offered 244 update files, I'm not sure about that so I'll look closer
    > later. Wasn't expecting that.
    >
    > Is there a newsreader similar to Forte Agent available for Ubuntu>
    >
    > Thanks.

    Pan.... great newsreader..

    p.s. - do the updates!

    -Art- (not Art)

  3. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    On 2008-08-01, Bud wrote:
    > Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a
    > machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and
    > it went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting
    > GRUB working right. Somehow I had it set in my head that the GRUB
    > bootloader would be put into my "C:" drive and on boot it would offer
    > me the choice between Ubumtu and WinXP. Turns out I had to point my
    > machine's BIOS at the 3 drive (hd2,0), I'm slow so it took me an hour
    > to figure that out but now that GRUB is found everything works very
    > well. Once I was playing in the linux a while I noticed that I was
    > offered 244 update files, I'm not sure about that so I'll look closer
    > later. Wasn't expecting that.
    >
    > Is there a newsreader similar to Forte Agent available for Ubuntu>
    >
    > Thanks.

    Definitely get updates, do not start too much customizing too soon,
    as someone else said pan is a good start.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:39:03 -0700, Bud wrote:

    > Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a
    > machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and it
    > went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting GRUB
    > working right. Somehow I had it set in my head that the GRUB bootloader
    > would be put into my "C:" drive and on boot it would offer me the choice
    > between Ubumtu and WinXP. Turns out I had to point my machine's BIOS at
    > the 3 drive (hd2,0), I'm slow so it took me an hour to figure that out
    > but now that GRUB is found everything works very well. Once I was
    > playing in the linux a while I noticed that I was offered 244 update
    > files, I'm not sure about that so I'll look closer later. Wasn't
    > expecting that.
    >
    > Is there a newsreader similar to Forte Agent available for Ubuntu>
    >
    > Thanks.

    Linux does not know what a "C:" drive is. Well, actually it does, but that
    is not the normal Linux nomenclature. Normally, Ubuntu installs grub to /
    dev/hda, but that can certainly be altered.

    What's to "look closer later"? Install the updates. And do updates every
    week or two after that.

    Don't know about "Forte Agent" - what does it do? I use 'pan'.

  5. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:39:03 -0700, Bud wrote:

    > Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a
    > machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and it
    > went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting GRUB
    > working right. Somehow I had it set in my head that the GRUB bootloader
    > would be put into my "C:" drive and on boot it would offer me the choice
    > between Ubumtu and WinXP. Turns out I had to point my machine's BIOS at
    > the 3 drive (hd2,0), I'm slow so it took me an hour to figure that out but
    > now that GRUB is found everything works very well. Once I was playing in
    > the linux a while I noticed that I was offered 244 update files, I'm not
    > sure about that so I'll look closer later. Wasn't expecting that.
    >
    > Is there a newsreader similar to Forte Agent available for Ubuntu>
    >
    > Thanks.

    The older version of Pan 0.14.2.91 is complete. Newer versions are missing
    features but have features 0.14.2.91 doesn't. I've tried newer versions
    and went back to 0.14.2.91. You can adjust the style to a tabbed view and
    turn off threaded views to give Pan the look and feel of Agent. However
    you cannot directly post binaries with Pan except for cutting and pasting
    the UU encoded text in the message body.

    http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

    Follow the links and use the Debian package. Install with gdeb.

  6. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    Meat Plow schreef:

    > The older version of Pan 0.14.2.91 is complete. Newer versions are missing
    > features but have features 0.14.2.91 doesn't. I've tried newer versions
    > and went back to 0.14.2.91. You can adjust the style to a tabbed view and
    > turn off threaded views to give Pan the look and feel of Agent.

    I prefer the newer version (that's available in the repos) if only for a
    single reason, the 'stable' version can not handle groups like boneless
    with large no's of postings.

    > However
    > you cannot directly post binaries with Pan except for cutting and pasting
    > the UU encoded text in the message body.
    >
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/
    >
    > Follow the links and use the Debian package. Install with gdeb.

  7. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    On 1 Aug 2008 15:48:54 GMT, ray wrote:

    >Linux does not know what a "C:" drive is. Well, actually it does, but that
    >is not the normal Linux nomenclature. Normally, Ubuntu installs grub to /
    >dev/hda, but that can certainly be altered.

    My poor overloaded brain thought that GRUB would replace the XP
    bootloader with the GRUB bootloader, that's what I get for thinking.

    >What's to "look closer later"? Install the updates. And do updates every
    >week or two after that.

    I didn't expect a pile of updates to be available to me without me
    going to look for them, I guess I wonder who they're from, is Ubuntu
    that organized? I guess so.

    >Don't know about "Forte Agent" - what does it do? I use 'pan'.

    It's pretty much the gold standard of newsreaders for Windows.

  8. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    Bud schreef:
    > On 1 Aug 2008 15:48:54 GMT, ray wrote:
    >
    >> Linux does not know what a "C:" drive is. Well, actually it does, but that
    >> is not the normal Linux nomenclature. Normally, Ubuntu installs grub to /
    >> dev/hda, but that can certainly be altered.

    > My poor overloaded brain thought that GRUB would replace the XP
    > bootloader with the GRUB bootloader, that's what I get for thinking.
    >> What's to "look closer later"? Install the updates. And do updates every
    >> week or two after that.

    > I didn't expect a pile of updates to be available to me without me
    > going to look for them, I guess I wonder who they're from, is Ubuntu
    > that organized? I guess so.

    Ubuntu is in this respect *very* organised.
    Once installed the Package Manager (Synaptic in Ubuntu, Adept in
    Kubuntu) will connect to the so called repositories and compare the
    installed applications with what is now available.

    With a CD/DVD that's already a few months old you can expect many
    upgrades, no surprise as Ubuntu is a very actively maintained system as
    is the Linux Kernel itself.

    Please have a read up on the setting or selecting of repositories as
    some are enabled by default and others can be (have to) be enabled by
    hand to get access to applications that may have legal issues like mp3
    codex.

    Personally I check for updates every day.

    >> Don't know about "Forte Agent" - what does it do? I use 'pan'.

    > It's pretty much the gold standard of newsreaders for Windows.

  9. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    * Art2U wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:39:03 -0700, Bud wrote:

    >> Several days ago I came to this NG asking about installing Ubuntu on a
    >> machine with multiple hard drives. I did the instll this evening and
    >> it went well, easy to understand all that went one right up to getting
    >> GRUB working right. Somehow I had it set in my head that the GRUB
    >> bootloader would be put into my "C:" drive and on boot it would offer
    >> me the choice between Ubumtu and WinXP. Turns out I had to point my
    >> machine's BIOS at the 3 drive (hd2,0), I'm slow so it took me an hour
    >> to figure that out but now that GRUB is found everything works very
    >> well. Once I was playing in the linux a while I noticed that I was
    >> offered 244 update files, I'm not sure about that so I'll look closer
    >> later. Wasn't expecting that.

    >> Is there a newsreader similar to Forte Agent available for Ubuntu>

    >> Thanks.

    > Pan.... great newsreader..

    > p.s. - do the updates!

    PPS, dont do the updates, infact go backwards to 0.14.X
    --
    David | Fight Back!
    Knowledge is power -- knowledge shared is power lost.

  10. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    Art2U wrote:
    > Pan.... great newsreader..
    > -Art- (not Art)

    "Man Pan" isn't found when I type it at my BASH shell prompt.
    That's how clueless I am. :/

    Tin with Pico (in tow) works like a champ tho.

    So, are the commands used in Tin similar to those used in Pan?

    Alvin in AZ
    ps- Tin, Pico and Panix forever!

  11. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    alvinj@example.com wrote:
    > Art2U wrote:
    > > Pan.... great newsreader..
    > > -Art- (not Art)

    > "Man Pan" isn't found when I type it at my BASH shell prompt.
    > That's how clueless I am. :/

    Commands are case-sensitive. Same result for 'man pan'?

    > Tin with Pico (in tow) works like a champ tho.

    > So, are the commands used in Tin similar to those used in Pan?

    Type 'h' to get a list of commands.

    --
    Niklaus

  12. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    > > > Pan.... great newsreader..
    > > > -Art- (not Art)

    > > "Man Pan" isn't found when I type it at my BASH shell prompt.
    > > That's how clueless I am. :/

    > Commands are case-sensitive. Same result for 'man pan'?
    > Niklaus

    Yep, especially since the caps were for "easy reading".
    $man pan =
    "there is no entry for pan in the manual"

    Alvin in AZ

  13. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    alvinj@example.com wrote:

    > Yep, especially since the caps were for "easy reading".

    It helped a lot. ;-)

    > $man pan =
    > "there is no entry for pan in the manual"

    File a bug, then. IMO packages in 'main' should really have a
    manpage.

    --
    Niklaus

  14. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    Niklaus Kuehnis illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > alvinj@example.com wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, especially since the caps were for "easy reading".

    > It helped a lot. ;-)
    >
    >> $man pan =
    >> "there is no entry for pan in the manual"

    > File a bug, then. IMO packages in 'main' should really have a
    > manpage.

    No entry for Pan here either. Until I install it

    $ sudo apt-get install pan.

    HTH.

    --
    "Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
    people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or

  15. Re: Ubuntu install: That was interesting

    On 2008-08-04, Moog hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Niklaus Kuehnis illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> alvinj@example.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yep, especially since the caps were for "easy reading".

    >> It helped a lot. ;-)
    >>
    >>> $man pan =
    >>> "there is no entry for pan in the manual"

    >> File a bug, then. IMO packages in 'main' should really have a
    >> manpage.

    > No entry for Pan here either. Until I install it

    This is the case for almost every package/tool/ if it's not
    installed there will be no "man page" on the PC.

    > $ sudo apt-get install pan.
    >
    > HTH.

    Dragomir Kollaric