Very interesting Wine experience - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Very interesting Wine experience - Ubuntu ; I play Everquest 2 on two different computers (home / and lunchtime at work). In both cases, usually from windows it being a windows game. Now, at home it's rock steady with no problems. On my work system however, it ...

  1. Very interesting Wine experience

    I play Everquest 2 on two different computers (home / and lunchtime at
    work). In both cases, usually from windows it being a windows game.

    Now, at home it's rock steady with no problems.

    On my work system however, it has a tendency to occasionally crash. Why I
    have no clue, identical video card, superior hardware to my home system,
    and everything else is 100% rock solid. I mean I use Solidworks on that
    system and that's far more demanding than EQ2 is and has *never* crashed.
    So it really is weird that EQ2 will easily crash on that system.

    Having recently finished my solidworks stuff, which is about the only
    reason I primarily keep windows around on that system anyway, I got tired
    of booting into windows for lunch to play some EQ2.

    So, I went ahead and downloaded the sony launcher and ran it from wine.

    Results were rather impressive:

    - Launcher detected EQ2 installation on the windows hard drive. No need
    to reinstall on the linux side (which would have meant a 4-5 hour
    download). Auto-update also works flawlessly.

    - EQ2 launched perfectly even though it's being launched from a
    completely non-standard path.

    - EQ2 RUNS PERFECTLY. Not a SINGLE crash in over a week. Takes less than
    an hour to crash under windows.

    - Performance is as far as I can tell identical. No performance issues of
    any kind so far.

    - Graphically it is a 99% near match. About the only "issue" I've had is
    that NPC quest indicators don't have that glow they have when I run the
    game under windows. Big frigging deal...

    - There is a minor issue with some text display but I suspect that to
    either be a font or encoding issue. I play using the Japanese client and
    some things don't display correctly. The things affected though are very
    limited and don't significantly impact gameplay. Over 90% of all text
    does display correctly so I'm rather surprised that some of it doesn't.
    On that note however, under windows there too are some text rendering
    issues in the Japanese client so Wine may not even be the problem here.
    Likely this wouldn't even be any problem with the English client.

    Bottom line: The game is 100% perfectly playable without issues and
    apparently much stabler than under windows when run from Wine. I love it.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Very interesting Wine experience

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > I play Everquest 2 on two different computers...

    > Bottom line:
    > The game is 100% perfectly playable without issues...
    > Stephan

    Cool.

    Alvin in AZ

+ Reply to Thread