Where's the operating system - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Where's the operating system - Ubuntu ; I downloaded, burned, and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 to the hdb1 hard drive, I think. The drive and partition is in sca scb scf instead of drive letters that make sense to me. After the installation it installed grub some where ...

  1. Where's the operating system

    I downloaded, burned, and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 to the hdb1 hard
    drive, I think. The drive and partition is in sca scb scf instead of
    drive letters that make sense to me. After the installation it installed
    grub some where without letting me make a choice. In passing it said it
    was installing to sca0 where ever that is. Unfortunately if that was the
    hda it would have destroyed grub loading PCLOS on the caddy hard drive
    which is hdh. When I restarted the computer there was no Ubuntu to be
    found. I need to open the Ubuntu menu.lst file and copy the where abouts
    of the operating system so I can inter it into the grub info for both
    the PCLunixOS 2007 MiniMe on one caddy and on the grub menu for the
    second hard drive that goes into the caddy with Debian Etch or what ever
    it is. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them though I can
    probably work my way through this. Writing this helps me get things
    straightened out in my mind.

    Thanks for reading.

    Little Al

  2. Re: Where's the operating system

    Albert L Gerber wrote:

    > I downloaded, burned, and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 to the hdb1 hard
    > drive, I think. The drive and partition is in sca scb scf instead of
    > drive letters that make sense to me.

    /dev/sda first harddisk (or similar)
    /dev/sdb second harddisk (or similar)

    /dev/sda1 first partition of first harddisk
    /dev/sda2 second partition of first harddisk

    get the idea?

    > After the installation it installed
    > grub some where without letting me make a choice. In passing it said it
    > was installing to sca0 where ever that is.

    I think Grub was written to the MBR of sda. AFAIK you could choose
    where Grub should go if you used the "alternate" install cd. It's
    usually ok if Grub goes to the MBR because ...

    > Unfortunately if that was the
    > hda it would have destroyed grub loading PCLOS on the caddy hard drive
    > which is hdh.

    .... usually other OSs are found and added to Grub's menu.lst - if the
    drives are connected during installation.

    > When I restarted the computer there was no Ubuntu to be
    > found.

    Because you changed caddies before rebooting?

    > I need to open the Ubuntu menu.lst file and copy the where abouts
    > of the operating system so I can inter it into the grub info for both
    > the PCLunixOS 2007 MiniMe on one caddy and on the grub menu for the
    > second hard drive that goes into the caddy with Debian Etch or what ever
    > it is. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them though I can
    > probably work my way through this. Writing this helps me get things
    > straightened out in my mind.

    Hope this helps,
    Niklaus

  3. Re: Where's the operating system

    Niklaus Kuehnis schreef:
    > Albert L Gerber wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded, burned, and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 to the hdb1 hard
    >> drive, I think. The drive and partition is in sca scb scf instead of
    >> drive letters that make sense to me.

    > /dev/sda first harddisk (or similar)
    > /dev/sdb second harddisk (or similar)
    >
    > /dev/sda1 first partition of first harddisk
    > /dev/sda2 second partition of first harddisk

    And sda is often similar to hda, it depends a bit on the hardware and
    software installed which label will be used.

    > get the idea?
    >
    >> After the installation it installed
    >> grub some where without letting me make a choice. In passing it said it
    >> was installing to sca0 where ever that is.

    > I think Grub was written to the MBR of sda. AFAIK you could choose
    > where Grub should go if you used the "alternate" install cd. It's
    > usually ok if Grub goes to the MBR because ...
    >
    >> Unfortunately if that was the
    >> hda it would have destroyed grub loading PCLOS on the caddy hard drive
    >> which is hdh.

    > ... usually other OSs are found and added to Grub's menu.lst - if the
    > drives are connected during installation.
    >
    >> When I restarted the computer there was no Ubuntu to be
    >> found.

    > Because you changed caddies before rebooting?
    >
    >> I need to open the Ubuntu menu.lst file and copy the where abouts
    >> of the operating system so I can inter it into the grub info for both
    >> the PCLunixOS 2007 MiniMe on one caddy and on the grub menu for the
    >> second hard drive that goes into the caddy with Debian Etch or what ever
    >> it is. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them though I can
    >> probably work my way through this. Writing this helps me get things
    >> straightened out in my mind.

    > Hope this helps,
    > Niklaus

  4. Re: Where's the operating system

    Albert L Gerber wrote:

    > I downloaded, burned, and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 to the hdb1 hard
    > drive, I think. The drive and partition is in sca scb scf instead of
    > drive letters that makesense to me.
    > After the installation it installed grub some where without letting me
    > make a choice.

    It should have, unless maybe you told it to completely take over the
    whole hard disk. Then there is but one obvious choice, and it knew it,
    so it probably did it without human intervention. If your other OS(es)
    are still there, then this certainly didn't happen.

    Sometimes people (including me, since I know this firsthand) are in a
    hurry and do not allow the installer sufficient time to do a task. They
    will hit the Enter key more than once (perhaps even the contacts
    "bounced" unintentionally), and installation steps appear to have been
    missed. Always a possibility.... ;-)

    There are grub fixing programs, so all is not lost (hopefully). Fix it
    and write off the extra time spent to education. ;-)

    --
    John

  5. Re: Where's the operating system

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:28:53 -0500, Albert L Gerber wrote:

    > I need to open the Ubuntu menu.lst file and copy the where abouts
    > of the operating system so I can inter it into the grub info for both
    > the PCLunixOS 2007 MiniMe on one caddy and on the grub menu for the
    > second hard drive that goes into the caddy with Debian Etch or what ever
    > it is.

    For ease of maintenance, I suggest a grub entry like these examples:

    title /kubuntu
    root (hd1,8)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title /ubuntu
    root (hd1,9)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    That way when an update modifies menu.lst you do not have to modify
    your "production" menu.lst.

    drives and partitions are numbered starting with zero.

  6. Re: Where's the operating system

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > Albert L Gerber wrote:

    > /dev/sda first harddisk (or similar)
    > /dev/sdb second harddisk (or similar)
    >
    > /dev/sda1 first partition of first harddisk
    > /dev/sda2 second partition of first harddisk
    >
    > get the idea?

    Thanks Niklaus, but I thought those were for SATA drives while mine are
    IDE drives, which is what made me feel like I was being thrown a curve.

    big snip

    > .... usually other OSs are found and added to Grub's menu.lst - if the
    > drives are connected during installation.

    Grub seems to be very selective about what it finds. The only thing that
    has been consistent is finding WinXP at hd0,0

    > Because you changed caddies before rebooting?

    No, I didn't change hard drives in the caddy. I tried to save Grub to a
    partition which didn't work.

    After saving minu.lst to saved in PCLOS I opened the hdb with Ubuntu on
    it and looked in the root-boot/grub/menu.lst and copied the boot
    information down. When I added it to the PCLOS menu.lst it didn't work
    as it said it was 2,0 which it wasn't. After experimenting I found it
    was 1,0 which started Ubuntu OK. I should have tried it sooner but had
    to muck around first. Anyway, thanks for your input as it made me sort
    things out.

    Little Al

    > Hope this helps,
    > Niklaus

  7. Re: Where's the operating system

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > It should have, unless maybe you told it to completely take over the
    > whole hard disk. Then there is but one obvious choice, and it knew it,
    > so it probably did it without human intervention. If your other OS(es)
    > are still there, then this certainly didn't happen.
    >
    > Sometimes people (including me, since I know this firsthand) are in a
    > hurry and do not allow the installer sufficient time to do a task. They
    > will hit the Enter key more than once (perhaps even the contacts
    > "bounced" unintentionally), and installation steps appear to have been
    > missed. Always a possibility.... ;-)
    >
    > There are grub fixing programs, so all is not lost (hopefully). Fix it
    > and write off the extra time spent to education. ;-)

    Thanks John, that must be what happened. It asked it I wanted to use the
    existing partition and I said "Yes" The drive had previously had
    "Mandriva 2007 Spring" on it which and had the whole 19.2 Gb drive to
    its self. I'm seldom in a hurry but it's often decisions that I make
    that throw me.

    Thanks to Moog's suggestion I downloaded and burned the GParted program
    which has been a help often times.

    Thanks again, John.

    Li'l Al

  8. Re: Where's the operating system

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:28:53 -0500, Albert L Gerber wrote:
    >
    >> I need to open the Ubuntu menu.lst file and copy the where abouts
    >> of the operating system so I can inter it into the grub info for both
    >> the PCLunixOS 2007 MiniMe on one caddy and on the grub menu for the
    >> second hard drive that goes into the caddy with Debian Etch or what ever
    >> it is.

    > For ease of maintenance, I suggest a grub entry like these examples:
    >
    > title /kubuntu
    > root (hd1,8)
    > configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > title /ubuntu
    > root (hd1,9)
    > configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > That way when an update modifies menu.lst you do not have to modify
    > your "production" menu.lst.
    >
    > drives and partitions are numbered starting with zero.

    Thanks Bit Twister. I have taken your advice.
    Li'l Al

  9. Re: Where's the operating system

    Albert L Gerber wrote:
    > Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > > Albert L Gerber wrote:
    > >
    > > /dev/sda1 first partition of first harddisk
    > > /dev/sda2 second partition of first harddisk

    > Thanks Niklaus, but I thought those were for SATA drives while mine are
    > IDE drives, which is what made me feel like I was being thrown a curve.

    sd* is the former name for SCSI drives. In the current Ubuntu, not
    only SCSI but also (S)ATA drives are called sd*. hd* doesn't exist
    anymore.

    > > Because you changed caddies before rebooting?
    > >

    > No, I didn't change hard drives in the caddy. I tried to save Grub to a
    > partition which didn't work.

    AFAIK, if you save Grub to a partition you need another bootloader
    that points there, like another Grub in the MBR or an NTLDR.

    > After saving minu.lst to saved in PCLOS I opened the hdb with Ubuntu on
    > it and looked in the root-boot/grub/menu.lst and copied the boot
    > information down. When I added it to the PCLOS menu.lst it didn't work
    > as it said it was 2,0 which it wasn't. After experimenting I found it
    > was 1,0 which started Ubuntu OK.

    Are you aware 1,0 is the second harddrive?

    --
    Niklaus

  10. Re: Where's the operating system

    On 2008-08-02, Niklaus Kuehnis hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Albert L Gerber wrote:
    >> Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >> > Albert L Gerber wrote:
    >> >
    >> > /dev/sda1 first partition of first harddisk
    >> > /dev/sda2 second partition of first harddisk

    >> Thanks Niklaus, but I thought those were for SATA drives while mine are
    >> IDE drives, which is what made me feel like I was being thrown a curve.

    > sd* is the former name for SCSI drives. In the current Ubuntu, not
    > only SCSI but also (S)ATA drives are called sd*. hd* doesn't exist
    > anymore.

    Incorrect :-)

    "mount"

    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
    /dev/hde5 on /hde-test type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    /dev/hdf1 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/hdg1 on /Data type ext2 (rw)

    How come?

    OK, I'm being fussy?

    One will still get /dev/hdXY (as seen above) if one uses older types
    of Raid controller cards as I do:

    [ 5.450000] HPT370A: IDE controller (0x1103:0x0004 rev 0x04)
    at PCI slot 0000:02:08.0

    [ 5.450000] HPT370A: no clock data saved by BIOS
    [ 5.577845] HPT370A: DPLL base: 48 MHz, f_CNT: 150, assuming 33 MHz PCI
    [ 5.577909] HPT370A: using 33 MHz PCI clock
    [ 5.578073] HPT370A: 100% native mode on irq 18

    I'm not using this card for RAID but I could.
    Of course this situation created a minor problem: As I can't boot
    from the Card, sda1 is seen by grub as /hd4,0 and I need to change
    this every update. I think I tried to fix the /boot/device.map but
    it seems also every-time to be updated.

    Dragomir Kollaric