help with UPS - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on help with UPS - Ubuntu ; I use Kubuntu 8.04 on a desktop system. It has one DB9 port, tty1 I'm guessing. I just got a unit from upsforless.com, a PC500H, also with a DB9. It has very little documentation, all in Japlish. Can anyone help ...

  1. help with UPS

    I use Kubuntu 8.04 on a desktop system. It has one DB9 port, tty1 I'm
    guessing. I just got a unit from upsforless.com, a PC500H, also with a
    DB9. It has very little documentation, all in Japlish.

    Can anyone help with this? Do I need a straight-thru cable (DCE-DTE)? What
    pins are important? What software do I use to monitor the port? I see
    plenty of daemons for monitoring/controlling power on a laptop under
    Kubuntu. Do I need acpupsd? It isn't on my system, and 'sudo apt-get
    install acpupsd' says 'E: Couldn't find package acpupsd'.

    Thanks for any help you can give. I haven't used serial port hardware in
    a long time.

  2. Re: help with UPS

    Roland Latour wrote:
    > I use Kubuntu 8.04 on a desktop system. It has one DB9 port, tty1 I'm
    > guessing.

    ttyS0, I'm guessing. tty1 is the first virtual terminal.

    > I just got a unit from upsforless.com, a PC500H, also with a
    > DB9. It has very little documentation, all in Japlish.

    > Can anyone help with this? Do I need a straight-thru cable (DCE-DTE)? What
    > pins are important?

    upsforless = ups, less well documented?

    > What software do I use to monitor the port? I see
    > plenty of daemons for monitoring/controlling power on a laptop under
    > Kubuntu. Do I need acpupsd? It isn't on my system, and 'sudo apt-get
    > install acpupsd' says 'E: Couldn't find package acpupsd'.

    Did you mean: "apcupsd"?

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: help with UPS

    Roland Latour wrote:
    > I use Kubuntu 8.04 on a desktop system. It has one DB9 port, tty1 I'm
    > guessing. I just got a unit from upsforless.com, a PC500H, also with a
    > DB9. It has very little documentation, all in Japlish.
    >
    > Can anyone help with this? Do I need a straight-thru cable (DCE-DTE)? What
    > pins are important? What software do I use to monitor the port? I see
    > plenty of daemons for monitoring/controlling power on a laptop under
    > Kubuntu. Do I need acpupsd? It isn't on my system, and 'sudo apt-get
    > install acpupsd' says 'E: Couldn't find package acpupsd'.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give. I haven't used serial port hardware in
    > a long time.

    The DB-9 is really a DE-9, but that's beside the point. I've called all
    of them "DB" for years. IIRC, the "DB" was the abbreviated name of the
    manufacturer (and it was not the inventor, ITT Cannon Corp., nor David
    Bradley, of fame). Plus I had a career with
    Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, and they were powerful enough to
    create a name of their liking for anything they did, as well as their
    main supplier, Western Electric.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DE-9_co...DE-9_connector

    It should be ttyS0 as Niklaus stated. (N.B. that is an uppercase S and a
    zero.)

    It probably will need a reverse in the TX and RX since DCE is a modem
    (Data Communications Equipment), while everything else usually is DTE
    (Data Terminal Equipment). You should try a cable first before
    purchasing one. It will either work or it won't won't work.

    If it doesn't work, and you can obtain a breakout box, you can rearrange
    jumpers to flip pins 2 and 3 to see if that allows communication. Other
    pins may need to be flipped as well. I'm surprised there is no
    documentation that explains the pinouts. Try Google with the "pc500h"
    model as the search term.

    I just realized I'm using RS232C -- with a "DB-25" pinout -- for the pin
    numbers. These may be different for the DE-9 pinout used for a Com1 port
    on a PC, and/or on the UPS. connectors. Again, Google is your friend.

    The important "signals" (instead of "pins") would be TxD and RxD (or TX
    and RX), for transmit data and receive data, and of course signal ground
    (not "frame" ground). These signals are on pins 2, 3 and 7 in the
    RS-232C specification, which actually specifies the DB-25 connector,
    speed, etc.

    Other signals that may or may not be monitored are RTS-CTS, DTR, DCD,
    and MR. These other signal wires are usually connected back into their
    "opposite" partner" so the equipment is fooled into remaining in an on
    state and ready for data all the time.

    Ah! Here's a good Wiki description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232C

    Actual pinouts:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232C...TE_relative.29

    I have eight UPSes, and have never used the monitoring software nor the
    hardware cable connections to a PC (Mac, Windows or Unix/Linux). Some of
    my unused cables that I received with various UPS models have USB
    connectors as well as DE-9. I just keep them and the software in the box
    for a rainy day. ;-)

    Someday I will even strip out the old, weak or dead battery and wire
    them directly to an automotive battery, which will carry the ball for hours!

    My philosophy is to just let the UPS run the PCs until it is exhausted
    and quits. In the past 15 years, I haven't had but two episodes of
    extended power failures where the UPS batteries were exhausted so low
    the UPS quit. I had no data loss after these events.

    I do use UPSes to power more than one device, often several servers, so
    having one PC shut down when the UPS gives the command would not protect
    the others, although there is software available for
    inter-communication, but it would likely not function on mixed
    Mac-Windows-Linus platforms.

    Since I rarely go anywhere, if there should be an extended power failure
    (something more than five minutes would be a warning), I would manually
    shut down the servers using SSH to halt them, then actually flipping off
    their power switch on the older AT types. The ATX "soft power" will shut
    down completely from a remote "shutdown -h now" command.

    Most computers are headless so I don't need to worry about power for a
    monitor. The few that do have connected monitors are all running with
    the monitor shut off unless I need a local console for some rare local
    maintenance. Usually after a system is installed, and openssh-server is
    installed, the monitor is either disconnected, or is "abandoned"
    in-place for that rainy day. ;-)

    The PC I use for operations is the exception, and it has a lower power
    LCD monitor. Its UPS is a 750 VA unit, so it will run for a couple of
    hours while doing a five minute shutdown job on all other PCs.

    --
    John

  4. Re: help with UPS

    Roland Latour wrote:
    > I use Kubuntu 8.04 on a desktop system. It has one DB9 port, tty1 I'm
    > guessing. I just got a unit from upsforless.com, a PC500H, also with a
    > DB9. It has very little documentation, all in Japlish.
    >
    > Can anyone help with this? Do I need a straight-thru cable (DCE-DTE)? What
    > pins are important? What software do I use to monitor the port? I see
    > plenty of daemons for monitoring/controlling power on a laptop under
    > Kubuntu. Do I need acpupsd? It isn't on my system, and 'sudo apt-get
    > install acpupsd' says 'E: Couldn't find package acpupsd'.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give. I haven't used serial port hardware in
    > a long time.

    I have an APC unit and the serial cable (9pin) that came with it is not
    wired to the 'standard' config. Never used it as I use the usb cable
    which is standard.

    With ubuntu I use the apcupsd and its gui front end.

+ Reply to Thread