Re: ubuntu live CD root password - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: ubuntu live CD root password - Ubuntu ; On 2008-07-31, charles cashion wrote: > I have been chasing crash for a number of days. > I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over. > (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal ...

  1. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    On 2008-07-31, charles cashion wrote:
    > I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    > I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    > (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    > the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    > to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    > fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    > write to partition table. Then I tried to
    > rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    > I would like to try that as root.
    >
    > What is the root password?
    > Thank you,

    You are doing it totally wrong. Your commands are wrong. You obviously
    have no idea how to find out what device is mounted on /media/disk.

    If you want to start all over, reinstall the OS.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    Ignoramus25244 wrote:
    > You are doing it totally wrong. Your commands are wrong. You obviously
    > have no idea how to find out what device is mounted on /media/disk.

    You're putting it too kindly. Can you imagine what kind of damage he can
    do with the 'root' passwd?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    On 2008-07-31, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Ignoramus25244 wrote:
    >> You are doing it totally wrong. Your commands are wrong. You obviously
    >> have no idea how to find out what device is mounted on /media/disk.

    > You're putting it too kindly. Can you imagine what kind of damage he can
    > do with the 'root' passwd?

    I think that his system is hosed already.

    Seriously, to the OP, the OS reinstall process is much safer than this
    haphazard "fdisk".

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    Ignoramus25244 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, charles cashion wrote:
    >> I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    >> I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    >> (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    >> the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    >> to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    >> fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    >> write to partition table. Then I tried to
    >> rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    >> I would like to try that as root.
    >>
    >> What is the root password?
    >> Thank you,

    > You are doing it totally wrong. Your commands are wrong. You obviously
    > have no idea how to find out what device is mounted on /media/disk.
    >
    > If you want to start all over, reinstall the OS.

    Iggy,
    The more I type, the more mistakes I make.

    You are correct (sort of). I should have said that "ls /dev/hd*"
    returned with the message that nothing existed. What I wrote was
    "ls /dev/sd*", and that has nothing to do with my problem.

    Obviously?
    I did "ls /media/disk/home/ccashion" and found my hard drive
    home directory.

    "Start all over?"

    I *DID* start all over. After reloading ubuntu 7.10, all of
    my desktop files ( /home/ccashion/Desktop/... ) were still
    present. BUT not only were my files still present, whatever is
    causing firefox to crash is present in spades. The system now
    crashed *immediately* if I tried to run firefox.

    Iggy... You graciously and patiently answer my previous
    question. You must be suffering from the same frustration
    that I am having. ... My long term goal is to help other
    noobies. I cannot predict how soon that will happen.
    --cc

  5. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    On 2008-07-31, charles cashion wrote:
    > Ignoramus25244 wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-31, charles cashion wrote:
    >>> I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    >>> I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    >>> (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    >>> the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    >>> to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    >>> fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    >>> write to partition table. Then I tried to
    >>> rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    >>> I would like to try that as root.
    >>>
    >>> What is the root password?
    >>> Thank you,

    >> You are doing it totally wrong. Your commands are wrong. You obviously
    >> have no idea how to find out what device is mounted on /media/disk.
    >>
    >> If you want to start all over, reinstall the OS.
    >>

    > Iggy,
    > The more I type, the more mistakes I make.
    >
    > You are correct (sort of). I should have said that "ls /dev/hd*"
    > returned with the message that nothing existed. What I wrote was
    > "ls /dev/sd*", and that has nothing to do with my problem.
    >
    > Obviously?
    > I did "ls /media/disk/home/ccashion" and found my hard drive
    > home directory.
    >
    > "Start all over?"
    >
    > I *DID* start all over. After reloading ubuntu 7.10, all of
    > my desktop files ( /home/ccashion/Desktop/... ) were still
    > present. BUT not only were my files still present, whatever is
    > causing firefox to crash is present in spades. The system now
    > crashed *immediately* if I tried to run firefox.
    >
    > Iggy... You graciously and patiently answer my previous
    > question. You must be suffering from the same frustration
    > that I am having. ... My long term goal is to help other
    > noobies. I cannot predict how soon that will happen.

    My first question is, do you have any data that you would hate to
    lose, on that computer?

    If so, I would back it up first. Which you probably can do from a Live
    CD if you had a spare drive.

    Possibly, you could use another hard disk and save the one that still
    has important data, by setting it aside?

    Anyway. You can type 'mount' and that would tell you where devices are
    mounted. But fdisk is a sure way to lose the data that you have.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    charles cashion wrote:
    > "Start all over?"

    > I *DID* start all over. After reloading ubuntu 7.10, all of
    > my desktop files ( /home/ccashion/Desktop/... ) were still
    > present. BUT not only were my files still present, whatever is
    > causing firefox to crash is present in spades. The system now
    > crashed *immediately* if I tried to run firefox.

    > Iggy... You graciously and patiently answer my previous
    > question. You must be suffering from the same frustration
    > that I am having. ... My long term goal is to help other
    > noobies. I cannot predict how soon that will happen.

    You shouldn't use fdisk if you aren't familiar with that command. If
    you try hard enough you might ruin your harddisk.

    To reinstall Ubuntu from scratch follow these directions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
    "Standard installation" should be easiest. If you choose to format
    all partitions it is unnecessary to first remove anything.

    If you reinstalled Ubuntu, removed the ~/.mozilla folder, and firefox
    still crashes you may have a hardware problem or your installation
    cd may be faulty.

    --
    Niklaus

  7. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:34:30 -0500, charles cashion wrote:

    > Ignoramus25244 wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-31, charles cashion wrote:
    >>> I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    >>> I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    >>> (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    >>> the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    >>> to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    >>> fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    >>> write to partition table. Then I tried to
    >>> rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    >>> I would like to try that as root.
    >>>
    >>> What is the root password?
    >>> Thank you,

    >> You are doing it totally wrong. Your commands are wrong. You obviously
    >> have no idea how to find out what device is mounted on /media/disk.
    >>
    >> If you want to start all over, reinstall the OS.
    >>

    > Iggy,
    > The more I type, the more mistakes I make.
    >
    > You are correct (sort of). I should have said that "ls /dev/hd*"
    > returned with the message that nothing existed. What I wrote was
    > "ls /dev/sd*", and that has nothing to do with my problem.
    >
    > Obviously?
    > I did "ls /media/disk/home/ccashion" and found my hard drive
    > home directory.
    >
    > "Start all over?"
    >
    > I *DID* start all over. After reloading ubuntu 7.10, all of
    > my desktop files ( /home/ccashion/Desktop/... ) were still
    > present. BUT not only were my files still present, whatever is
    > causing firefox to crash is present in spades. The system now
    > crashed *immediately* if I tried to run firefox.
    >
    > Iggy... You graciously and patiently answer my previous
    > question. You must be suffering from the same frustration
    > that I am having. ... My long term goal is to help other
    > noobies. I cannot predict how soon that will happen.
    > --cc

    Your problem with Firefox is in your profile. Have you tried a new one? Can
    you start the profile manager, firefox -p on a command line to create a new
    one? Did you try removing the ~/.mozilla folder as Niklaus suggested? Note:
    this just forces FF to create a new profile.

    Do you have any Add-ons/extensions installed in FF?

    Have you been here:

    If you go there the questions I have asked will be asked again unless you
    supply the answers in your OP to that group.

  8. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    "Niklaus Kuehnis" wrote in message
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >> "Start all over?"

    >> I *DID* start all over. After reloading ubuntu 7.10, all of
    >> my desktop files ( /home/ccashion/Desktop/... ) were still
    >> present. BUT not only were my files still present, whatever is
    >> causing firefox to crash is present in spades. The system now
    >> crashed *immediately* if I tried to run firefox.

    >> Iggy... You graciously and patiently answer my previous
    >> question. You must be suffering from the same frustration
    >> that I am having. ... My long term goal is to help other
    >> noobies. I cannot predict how soon that will happen.

    > You shouldn't use fdisk if you aren't familiar with that command. If
    > you try hard enough you might ruin your harddisk.

    What a moron

  9. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:23:31 +0000, WhKw wrote:

    >> You shouldn't use fdisk if you aren't familiar with that command. If
    >> you try hard enough you might ruin your harddisk.
    >>

    > What a moron

    Right back at ya, are you suggesting n00bs run fdisk without knowing what
    it does?

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  10. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:23:31 +0000, WhøKñèw wrote:

    >>> You shouldn't use fdisk if you aren't familiar with that command. If
    >>> you try hard enough you might ruin your harddisk.

    >> What a moron

    > Right back at ya, are you suggesting n00bs run fdisk without knowing what
    > it does?

    He cant even figure out if its fdsik.com or /sbin/fdisk

    Please try not to confuse the troll.

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    The American Dental Association announced today that most plaque tends

    Film at 11:00.

+ Reply to Thread