Re: ubuntu live CD root password - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: ubuntu live CD root password - Ubuntu ; charles cashion wrote: > I have been chasing crash for a number of days. > I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over. > (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using ...

  1. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    > I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    > (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    > the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    > to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    > fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    > write to partition table. Then I tried to
    > rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    > I would like to try that as root.

    Can you become root using "sudo -i" without password?

    --
    Niklaus

  2. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    On 2008-07-31, Niklaus Kuehnis hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >> I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    >> I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    >> (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    >> the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    >> to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    >> fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    >> write to partition table. Then I tried to
    >> rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    >> I would like to try that as root.

    > Can you become root using "sudo -i" without password

    I can :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric