Re: ubuntu live CD root password - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: ubuntu live CD root password - Ubuntu ; * charles cashion wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > I have been chasing crash for a number of days. > I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over. > (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a ...

  1. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    * charles cashion wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I have been chasing crash for a number of days.
    > I have decided to fdisk the hard drive and start all over.
    > (perhaps I have a virus) When I opened a terminal in using
    > the ubuntu live CD, 'ls /dev/sd*' said there was nothing
    > to open. then I found my hard drive under /media/disk.
    > fdisk /media/disk said that had mode 40755 and could not
    > write to partition table. Then I tried to
    > rm -r /media/disk but it kept saying "permission denied"
    > I would like to try that as root.
    >
    > What is the root password?

    There is none.

    use sudo

    --
    David

  2. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    SINNER wrote:

    >> What is the root password?

    > There is none.
    >
    > use sudo

    Which IIRC I used to create a root account password...

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  3. Re: ubuntu live CD root password

    * Peter Chant wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >

    >>> What is the root password?

    >> There is none.
    >>
    >> use sudo
    >>

    > Which IIRC I used to create a root account password...

    but its completely unnecessary, but yes:

    $ sudo passwd

    Would do it.

    --
    David