about Russian - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on about Russian - Ubuntu ; 'Have need for a Russian typing tutor and a Russian (or Russian/English) editor (text only ok) FOR LINUX OR BSD. Also, are there any phonetic Russian keyboards, editors or tutors (fat chance, I know)? Any reasonable (especially inexpensive, read free) ...

  1. about Russian

    'Have need for a Russian typing tutor and a Russian (or Russian/English)
    editor (text only ok) FOR LINUX OR BSD. Also, are there any phonetic
    Russian keyboards, editors or tutors (fat chance, I know)? Any
    reasonable (especially inexpensive, read free) suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks in advance...

    nero

  2. Re: about Russian

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:38:39 -0500, nero wrote:

    > 'Have need for a Russian typing tutor and a Russian (or Russian/English)
    > editor (text only ok) FOR LINUX OR BSD. Also, are there any phonetic
    > Russian keyboards, editors or tutors (fat chance, I know)? Any
    > reasonable (especially inexpensive, read free) suggestions welcomed.
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > nero

    I don't know if there's a Linux download but http://www.lingvo.com/ is
    what most Russians (and Kazakhs) I've worked with used. That might start
    you off on the right track.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  3. Re: about Russian

    "nero" wrote in message
    news:7Iqdnf7lX9li9gzVnZ2dnUVZ_oPinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > 'Have need for a Russian typing tutor and a Russian (or
    > Russian/English)

    Don't get it exactly what you are looking for. But if you are looking
    for the Russian Typing Tutor app, then look for it on Yandex.ru, if
    you know Russian, or ask on the ubuntu.users.russian newsgroup. There
    are some people there that know English pretty well and can lead you
    to the right direction.

    > editor (text only ok) FOR LINUX OR BSD. Also, are there any
    > phonetic
    > Russian keyboards, editors or tutors (fat chance, I know)?

    What's to the phonetic Russian keyboard, it's build intu Ubuntu. Just
    go to your Keyboard applet and add to you system Russian support and
    select Fonetic layout. Then any Ubuntu editor and console, bash
    including, would be able to prin in both English and Russian.

    Hope this helps.

  4. Re: about Russian

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 00:27:29 +0000, Vitorio Okio wrote:

    > What's to the phonetic Russian keyboard, it's built into Ubuntu. Just
    > go to your Keyboard applet and add to you system Russian support and
    > select Phonetic layout. Then any Ubuntu editor and console, bash
    > including, would be able to print in both English and Russian.

    Xcellent idea but since I'm wary of not being able to return to English,
    I'll beg the question of "would be able to PRINT in both Eng & Russ"? If
    the screen font is Russian, will my printer know to print same or did you
    mean "would be able to print to the screen"? Do I have to load special
    Cyrillic fonts to the printer? Is there a toggle (keystroke) for
    switching keyboards? I'm very new at this dual-language stuff.

    By the way, this is all leading to my being able to write in English,
    Russian and Italian, natively, to old penpals in those countries. Yes
    they write/speak English but I could learn both languages better if I
    used their language at least in writing, or at least tried to do so.

    nero
    _____

  5. Re: about Russian

    "nero" wrote in message
    news:TpednQcS5KmaiwnVnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 00:27:29 +0000, Vitorio Okio wrote:
    >

    >> What's to the phonetic Russian keyboard, it's built into Ubuntu.
    >> Just
    >> go to your Keyboard applet and add to you system Russian support
    >> and
    >> select Phonetic layout. Then any Ubuntu editor and console, bash
    >> including, would be able to print in both English and Russian.

    > Xcellent idea but since I'm wary of not being able to return to
    > English,

    While in an editor you switch between languages using a keyboard
    shortcut of you choice. Look in Keyboard applet properties for the
    options.

    Just by pressing for example Alt-Shift (you may chose a different
    combination) you switch the language. You can type within any
    document, or withing Web browser, etc. in both languages, or any
    number of languages you will chose to install.

    There is nothing to worry about. Your OS interface remains intact.
    If it is English it will stay English. You only change language in
    text editors for the time you need it.

    > I'll beg the question of "would be able to PRINT in both Eng &
    > Russ"? If
    > the screen font is Russian, will my printer know to print same or
    > did you
    > mean "would be able to print to the screen"? Do I have to load
    > special
    > Cyrillic fonts to the printer? Is there a toggle (keystroke) for
    > switching keyboards? I'm very new at this dual-language stuff.

    A printer does not care about a language you use. You do not need to
    install any additional fonts. Any printer will print whatever you
    send to it.

    > By the way, this is all leading to my being able to write in
    > English,
    > Russian and Italian, natively, to old penpals in those countries.

    Yes, you can type, print in Italiano too (the alphabet is the same any
    way :->).

    Well, just try it. A lot of explanation is not a substitude for your
    own experience. :-) All it takes a couple of minutes and you can try
    either Italian, or Russian, or Zullu in your text editor.

    You don't like it? Remove it the way you added it. :-)

  6. Re: about Russian

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:27:16 +0000, Vitorio Okio wrote:

    > Well, just try it. A lot of explanation is not a substitute for your
    > own experience. :-) All it takes a couple of minutes and you can try
    > either Italian, or Russian, or Zulu in your text editor.
    >
    > You don't like it? Remove it the way you added it. :-)

    It's working perfectly. Thank you very much. Sometimes I just need that
    extra kick in the ass to try things and not worry about them. You're
    right, it can always be redone.

    thanks again

    nero
    _________

  7. Re: about Russian

    On 2008-08-03, Vitorio Okio hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > A printer does not care about a language you use. You do not need to
    > install any additional fonts. Any printer will print whatever you
    > send to it.
    >
    >> By the way, this is all leading to my being able to write in
    >> English,
    >> Russian and Italian, natively, to old penpals in those countries.

    > Yes, you can type, print in Italiano too (the alphabet is the same any
    > way :->).

    Once can of course change the language of the "Desktop" when
    the OS is loaded (KDE/Gnome/) doesn't matter IIRC one has
    the option to change the language, (if installed) then the
    whole desktop will be in that language, Menes etc.etc. I
    think the OP was worried that when he changes the settings
    that all this will be changed.

    > Well, just try it. A lot of explanation is not a substitude for your
    > own experience. :-) All it takes a couple of minutes and you can try
    > either Italian, or Russian, or Zullu in your text editor.
    >
    > You don't like it? Remove it the way you added it. :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric