crash (again?) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on crash (again?) - Ubuntu ; ON: 23 Jul 2008 09:54:38 Niklaus Kuehnis nk> nk> sudo apt-get clean nk> sudo apt-get purge firefox nk> rm -r ~/.mozilla/firefox nk> sudo apt-get install firefox I just ran thru this, and got the following (two?) errors... E: Could not ...

  1. crash (again?)

    ON: 23 Jul 2008 09:54:38 Niklaus Kuehnis
    nk>
    nk> sudo apt-get clean
    nk> sudo apt-get purge firefox
    nk> rm -r ~/.mozilla/firefox
    nk> sudo apt-get install firefox

    I just ran thru this, and got the following (two?) errors...
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily
    unavallable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
    another process using it?

    Since we last talked, I tried to install a printer.
    I followed the instructions here
    http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...478.asp?model=
    The only thing I appear to have achieved was a total breakdown
    of firefox.

    Tnx,
    Charles

  2. Re: crash (again?)

    charles cashion wrote:
    > ON: 23 Jul 2008 09:54:38 Niklaus Kuehnis
    > nk>
    > nk> sudo apt-get clean
    > nk> sudo apt-get purge firefox
    > nk> rm -r ~/.mozilla/firefox
    > nk> sudo apt-get install firefox

    > I just ran thru this, and got the following (two?) errors...
    > E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily
    > unavallable)
    > E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
    > another process using it?

    Do you have Synaptic, Aptitude or Adept running? Close them.

    > Since we last talked, I tried to install a printer.
    > I followed the instructions here
    > http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...478.asp?model=

    This driver is for Ubuntu 7.04. Do you have reason to assume this
    works in Ubuntu 8.04?

    > The only thing I appear to have achieved was a total breakdown
    > of firefox.

    Try reinstalling again.

    Here's a somewhat safer version:

    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get purge firefox
    mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.old
    sudo apt-get install firefox

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: crash (again?)

    Of course it crashed. It's Linsux

    "charles cashion" wrote in message
    > ON: 23 Jul 2008 09:54:38 Niklaus Kuehnis
    > nk>
    > nk> sudo apt-get clean
    > nk> sudo apt-get purge firefox
    > nk> rm -r ~/.mozilla/firefox
    > nk> sudo apt-get install firefox
    >
    > I just ran thru this, and got the following (two?) errors...
    > E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily
    > unavallable)
    > E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
    > another process using it?
    >
    > Since we last talked, I tried to install a printer.
    > I followed the instructions here
    > http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...478.asp?model=
    > The only thing I appear to have achieved was a total breakdown
    > of firefox.
    >
    > Tnx,
    > Charles

  4. Re: crash (again?)

    WhKw wrote:

    > Of course it crashed. It's Linsux

    And of course a windows using nimwit has not even the tiniest clue that
    there was no "crash" at all
    Apart from the usual top-posting. Which alone should mark him for eternity
    as a braindead moron

    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  5. Re: crash (again?)

    I can prove i'm not a brain dead moron. I don't use linsux.
    "Peter Khlmann" wrote in message
    > WhKw wrote:
    >
    >> Of course it crashed. It's Linsux

    > And of course a windows using nimwit has not even the tiniest clue that
    > there was no "crash" at all
    > Apart from the usual top-posting. Which alone should mark him for eternity
    > as a braindead moron
    >
    >> "charles cashion" wrote in message
    >>> ON: 23 Jul 2008 09:54:38 Niklaus Kuehnis
    >>> nk>
    >>> nk> sudo apt-get clean
    >>> nk> sudo apt-get purge firefox
    >>> nk> rm -r ~/.mozilla/firefox
    >>> nk> sudo apt-get install firefox
    >>>
    >>> I just ran thru this, and got the following (two?) errors...
    >>> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily
    >>> unavallable)
    >>> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
    >>> another process using it?
    >>>
    >>> Since we last talked, I tried to install a printer.
    >>> I followed the instructions here
    >>> http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...478.asp?model=
    >>> The only thing I appear to have achieved was a total breakdown
    >>> of firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Tnx,
    >>> Charles

    > --
    > Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  6. Re: crash (again?)

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > Do you have Synaptic, Aptitude or Adept running? Close them.

    NO.
    Just to be certain, I double checked.

    >> Since we last talked, I tried to install a printer.
    >> I followed the instructions here
    >> http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...478.asp?model=

    > This driver is for Ubuntu 7.04. Do you have reason to assume this
    > works in Ubuntu 8.04?

    I am certain that I do not have 7.04.
    I believe I have ubuntu 7.10.
    I am certain that I do not have 8.04.
    I will have to take one more look at that web site.

    I have tried for you-cannot-believe-how-long to get
    a canon printer to run with linux. But at this time,
    I think a stable platform is my primary goal.
    Tnx,
    --cc

  7. Re: crash (again?)

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > >
    > > Do you have Synaptic, Aptitude or Adept running? Close them.
    > >

    > NO.
    > Just to be certain, I double checked.

    Does the error message still appear after a reboot?

    > I am certain that I do not have 7.04.
    > I believe I have ubuntu 7.10.
    > I am certain that I do not have 8.04.
    > I will have to take one more look at that web site.

    To find out your Ubuntu version, do
    lsb_release -a

    Installing a package tested for 7.04 in 7.10 may lead to problems.

    > I have tried for you-cannot-believe-how-long to get
    > a canon printer to run with linux.

    Consider investing in a linux compatible printer and save some
    hassle.

    --
    Niklaus

  8. Re: crash (again?)

    WhKw schreef:
    > I can prove i'm not a brain dead moron. I don't use linsux.

    Says the kid that answers BEFORE the question, LOL!

    Any chance you are Moshe's brother?

    > "Peter Khlmann" wrote in message
    >> WhKw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course it crashed. It's Linsux

    >> And of course a windows using nimwit has not even the tiniest clue that
    >> there was no "crash" at all
    >> Apart from the usual top-posting. Which alone should mark him for eternity
    >> as a braindead moron
    >>
    >>> "charles cashion" wrote in message

    >> --
    >> Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  9. ubuntu livecd partitions

    I have the ubuntu 7.10 live CD.
    I have three of questions.
    (Actually, I have lots of questions)

    Q1: I have read comments regarding a live CD
    call "ALTERNATE". What determines an
    "ALTERNATE" cd?

    Q2: Is there an explanation (on-line) for the
    partition setting capability of the ubuntu
    live cd?

    Q3: Earlier versions of partition tutorials
    recommended using one partition for root and
    another for /home. (and another for swap)
    Is this capability built into the ubuntu
    installer?

    Tnx,
    --cc

  10. Re: ubuntu livecd partitions

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#...e_installation

    > Q2: Is there an explanation (on-line) for the
    > partition setting capability of the ubuntu
    > live cd?

    Yes. Probably thousands. Use Google, or go to the Ubuntu site if you
    want specifics for Ubuntu only.

    Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gparted

    > Q3: Earlier versions of partition tutorials
    > recommended using one partition for root and
    > another for /home. (and another for swap)
    > Is this capability built into the ubuntu
    > installer?

    Yes, of course. Without partitioning, how could you begin to install an
    OS? ;-)

    --
    John

  11. Re: ubuntu partitions

    I just (re)installed 7.10
    I chose to manually partition the HD
    Selecting root (/) and a size was easy (left click)
    Selection /home and a size for it was easy
    I could not find the correct click to designate swap.
    Q: How do you specifiy that the remaining space
    is to be used as swap?

    Q2: I cannot login in. It does not accept my
    username/password. Can I boot up using the
    live CD and edit /etc/passwd? Can this be
    fixed?
    tnx,
    --cc

  12. Re: ubuntu livecd partitions

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:17:41 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Yes, of course. Without partitioning, how could you begin to install an
    > OS? ;-)

    Use the gparted live cd first ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  13. Re: ubuntu partitions

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I just (re)installed 7.10
    > I chose to manually partition the HD
    > Selecting root (/) and a size was easy (left click)
    > Selection /home and a size for it was easy
    > I could not find the correct click to designate swap.
    > Q: How do you specifiy that the remaining space
    > is to be used as swap?

    If you made a partition but didn't enable it as swap you need to
    format it as swap, add it to /etc/fstab and switch swap on using the
    "swapon" command.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

    In the installer you can choose to use a partition as swap. It's
    either in the "use as" or in the "format as" part.

    > Q2: I cannot login in. It does not accept my
    > username/password. Can I boot up using the
    > live CD and edit /etc/passwd?

    There aren't any passwords in /etc/passwd.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword

    --
    Niklaus

  14. Re: ubuntu livecd partitions

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:17:41 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, of course. Without partitioning, how could you begin to install an
    >> OS? ;-)
    >>

    > Use the gparted live cd first ;-)

    Weisenheimer! ;-)

    You forgot that something like Ubuntu could reuse something like
    Fedora's partitions. 8-)

    Now I'll just go back to sleep.

    --
    John

  15. Re: ubuntu livecd partitions

    I spit on Fedora's ****ed up partitions :-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

+ Reply to Thread