    suggestions.

    Lee

  2. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    On 2008-07-30, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    > On Ubuntu 8.04, I've been trying to get a Dell Latitude (CA40) laptop's
    > graphics card recognized. It is a GeForce4 440 Go integrated video
    > card. If anyone could please point me to a good step by step
    > instructions on how to get the graphics card recognized it would be
    > appreciated. I have attempted to enable restricted drivers. That didn't
    > work. I have manually downloaded the drivers off of the nVidia's website
    > and installed them. Still no luck. Thank you in advance for any
    > suggestions.

    Lee, have you tried detecting the card without closed source NVidia
    drivers installed?

    E.g. uninstall them and then reboot, log on as root in recovery mode,
    and say

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    Have you done this?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    > On Ubuntu 8.04, I've been trying to get a Dell Latitude (CA40) laptop's
    > graphics card recognized. It is a GeForce4 440 Go integrated video
    > card. If anyone could please point me to a good step by step
    > instructions on how to get the graphics card recognized it would be
    > appreciated. I have attempted to enable restricted drivers. That didn't
    > work. I have manually downloaded the drivers off of the nVidia's website
    > and installed them. Still no luck. Thank you in advance for any
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Lee

    Could this be related to the kernel problems mentioned in an earlier
    thread? Apparently the 2.26.20 kernel has problems with nVidia cards
    (yeah, just after I replaced my Radeon 7000 too). There was one update
    since then. The process goes farther but still won't let us (me) start
    X. Going back to the 2.26.19 kernel still works.

    Later
    mike

  4. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:58:48 +0000, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:

    > On Ubuntu 8.04, I've been trying to get a Dell Latitude (CA40) laptop's
    > graphics card recognized.

    envyng is a handy script that will try to recognise the card, download
    and compile the driver for it and reconfigure xorg. It runs under a GUI
    or from a command prompt:

    $ sudo envyng -t

    for text mode. envyng is, I think, in the repositories.

  5. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:45:33 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > envyng is a handy script that will try to recognise the card, download
    > and compile the driver for it and reconfigure xorg. It runs under a GUI
    > or from a command prompt:
    >
    > $ sudo envyng -t
    >
    > for text mode. envyng is, I think, in the repositories.

    That looked like it was the best hope. How ever it dumped me into X and
    informed me it was running in low graphics mode and asked me to pick the
    video card. Thank you for the suggestion.

    Lee

  6. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:10:10 -0500, Ignoramus19611 wrote:

    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    > Have you done this?

    Tried that. On boot up have an X window and a message it was running in
    low resolution. It provides me with a means to pick my video card, but
    that fails each time I pick one.

    Lee

  7. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:50:29 +0000, The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > Going back to the 2.26.19 kernel still works.

    How do you go back to a previous kernel version? Thanks!

    Lee

  8. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    On 2008-07-30, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:50:29 +0000, The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >
    >> Going back to the 2.26.19 kernel still works.

    > How do you go back to a previous kernel version? Thanks!
    >
    > Lee

    You should get a list of kernels when you boot. When you see word
    GRUB, hit ESC quickly and pick the previous kernel from a menu.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    You may not get a good result with an Nvidia based driver. Dell likes to
    use the GMA chipset from intel and call it an Nvidia. Have you tried the
    3100 or the 940(I think) chipset drivers from intel?

  10. Re: Dell Laptop - GeForce4 440 card not recognized.

    dalamar schreef:
    > You may not get a good result with an Nvidia based driver. Dell likes to
    > use the GMA chipset from intel and call it an Nvidia. Have you tried the
    > 3100 or the 940(I think) chipset drivers from intel?

    That sounds rather incredible, I'd expect Nvidia and Intel to drag them
    into court would this be true!

+ Reply to Thread