Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Hi, Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu 8.04) by doing the following steps: [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]: ---------------------------------- Using X configuration file: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Hi,

    Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    8.04) by doing the following steps:

    [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig

    The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:

    ----------------------------------
    Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

    VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    Driver line.

    Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    ----------------------------------

    I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete
    since I am using KDE) and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no
    display)!!

    Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher
    resolution (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).

    Any suggestions?

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  2. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:32:51 +0200, Ramon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    > 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >
    > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >
    > The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >
    > ----------------------------------
    > Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >
    > VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    > Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    > Driver line.
    >
    > Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup' New X
    > configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    > ----------------------------------
    >
    > I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete since I am using KDE)
    > and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no display)!!
    >
    > Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    > 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher resolution
    > (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, May 2008
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  3. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:32:51 +0200, Ramon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    >> 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >>
    >> [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >>
    >> The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >>
    >> ----------------------------------
    >> Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >>
    >> VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >> Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    >> Driver line.
    >>
    >> Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup' New X
    >> configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    >> ----------------------------------
    >>
    >> I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete since I am using KDE)
    >> and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no display)!!
    >>
    >> Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    >> 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher resolution
    >> (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    displays situation!

    I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia driver
    is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can support. Is
    there a way how I can low the resolution?

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  4. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-29, Ramon wrote:
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:32:51 +0200, Ramon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    >>> 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >>>
    >>> [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >>>
    >>> The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >>>
    >>> Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >>>
    >>> VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >>> Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    >>> Driver line.
    >>>
    >>> Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup' New X
    >>> configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    >>>
    >>> I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete since I am using KDE)
    >>> and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no display)!!
    >>>
    >>> Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    >>> 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher resolution
    >>> (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>

    > Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    > displays situation!
    >
    > I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia driver
    > is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can support. Is
    > there a way how I can low the resolution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    after you uninstall.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ignoramus31137 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-29, Ramon wrote:
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    >> displays situation!
    >>
    >> I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia driver
    >> is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can support. Is
    >> there a way how I can low the resolution?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    > after you uninstall.

    Maybe junk or maybe not. I had the same problem when Fedora and
    OpenSUSE were installed on my machine.

    I've rebooted my machine, started Ubuntu in "recovery mode"... a menu
    appeared and selected "xfix" and the X server was fixed.

    So my question is, if this driver is junk, is there any Nvidia driver to
    enable the 3-D acceleration?

    Thanks.

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  6. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ignoramus31137 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    > after you uninstall.

    You utter cretin.

    --
    "You know what I hate? Indian givers...no, I take that back." ~ Emo
    Philips

  7. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:26:42 +0200
    Ramon wrote:

    > So my question is, if this driver is junk, is there any Nvidia
    > driver to enable the 3-D acceleration?

    It works fine, and that's first time I've seen anyone post otherwise
    and suspect that was a opinion.

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  8. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Moog wrote:
    > Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    >> 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >>
    >> [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    >> [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >>
    >> The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >>
    >> ----------------------------------
    >> Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >>
    >> VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >> Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    >> Driver line.
    >>
    >> Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    >> New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    >> ----------------------------------
    >>
    >> I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete
    >> since I am using KDE) and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no
    >> display)!!
    >>
    >> Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    >> 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher
    >> resolution (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > Yes. Allow the system to configure and use the correct driver by going
    >
    > System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    >
    > Place a tick in the Nvidia box. This will enable it and automagically
    > configure you xorg.conf file.
    >
    > HTH

    This is what i've done:
    [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig (displayed a warning -- see my first post )
    [3] Hardware Drivers Manager -> "Nvidia accelerated graphics driver"
    was already ticked!
    [4] Restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-del) and still there was no display.

    I suspect that the Nvidia driver is /assuming/ that my monitor supports
    a resolution higher than 1024x768 (which is not the case).

    If the above statement is true, is there a way how one can change the
    monitor's resolution after installing the Nvidia driver (using a command
    line interface)? Any suggestions are more than welcomed! Thanks.

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  9. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > This is what i've done:
    > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    > [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig (displayed a warning -- see my first post )
    > [3] Hardware Drivers Manager -> "Nvidia accelerated graphics driver"
    > was already ticked!
    > [4] Restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-del) and still there was no display.
    >
    > I suspect that the Nvidia driver is /assuming/ that my monitor supports
    > a resolution higher than 1024x768 (which is not the case).
    >
    > If the above statement is true, is there a way how one can change the
    > monitor's resolution after installing the Nvidia driver (using a command
    > line interface)? Any suggestions are more than welcomed! Thanks.

    Thanks for the info Ramon.

    OK. It could be another monitor issue.

    Which one do you own?

    The frequencies are key to getting full resolution. I have a Samsung
    Syncmaster at Work that was horrible to get working (please don't tell
    me you have a Syncmaster 945BW!!!)

    Let us know.

    --
    "So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local
    swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'" ~ Tim

  10. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ramon wrote:
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:32:51 +0200, Ramon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    >>> 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >>>
    >>> [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >>>
    >>> The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >>>
    >>> ----------------------------------
    >>> Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >>>
    >>> VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >>> Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    >>> Driver line.
    >>>
    >>> Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    >>> New X
    >>> configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    >>> ----------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete since I am using KDE)
    >>> and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no display)!!
    >>>
    >>> Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    >>> 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher
    >>> resolution
    >>> (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>

    > Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    > displays situation!
    >
    > I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia
    > driver is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can
    > support. Is there a way how I can low the resolution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

    --
    John

  11. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    in 65543 20080729 220709 Patrick Phillips wrote:
    >On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:26:42 +0200
    >Ramon wrote:
    >
    >> So my question is, if this driver is junk, is there any Nvidia
    >> driver to enable the 3-D acceleration?

    >It works fine, and that's first time I've seen anyone post otherwise
    >and suspect that was a opinion.

    I've been unable to get my 7300GT working on the last 3 versions of Ubuntu.

  12. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-30, Bob Martin wrote:
    > in 65543 20080729 220709 Patrick Phillips wrote:
    >>On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:26:42 +0200
    >>Ramon wrote:
    >>
    >>> So my question is, if this driver is junk, is there any Nvidia
    >>> driver to enable the 3-D acceleration?

    >>It works fine, and that's first time I've seen anyone post otherwise
    >>and suspect that was a opinion.

    > I've been unable to get my 7300GT working on the last 3 versions of Ubuntu.

    Are you saying that it did not work with any driver at all? Or that it
    does not work with the "closed source driver"?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Bob Martin wrote:

    > I've been unable to get my 7300GT working on the last 3 versions of
    > Ubuntu.

    I use the 7200GS and its worked fine for about a year now since I've had
    it, using latest Nvidia driver, the one that says "for newer cards
    only" its listed under hardware tab as "GeForce 7 series" in Monitor&
    Display settings.

    Nvidia has worked great with Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Mandriva
    currently using, and many other distros, I would always opt for Nvidia.
    ATI has given me more problems with drivers; and 2 cards going
    bad.

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  14. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ramon wrote:
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    >> displays situation!
    >>
    >> I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia
    >> driver is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can
    >> support. Is there a way how I can low the resolution?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

    I've tried the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg" but it seems
    that it is "restarting" the xorg.conf -- i.e. the Nvidia driver is
    removed from the file and it not changing the Nvidia's monitor resolution.

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  15. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Moog wrote:
    > Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> This is what i've done:
    >> [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    >> [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig (displayed a warning -- see my first post )
    >> [3] Hardware Drivers Manager -> "Nvidia accelerated graphics driver"
    >> was already ticked!
    >> [4] Restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-del) and still there was no display.
    >>
    >> I suspect that the Nvidia driver is /assuming/ that my monitor supports
    >> a resolution higher than 1024x768 (which is not the case).
    >>
    >> If the above statement is true, is there a way how one can change the
    >> monitor's resolution after installing the Nvidia driver (using a command
    >> line interface)? Any suggestions are more than welcomed! Thanks.

    > Thanks for the info Ramon.
    >
    > OK. It could be another monitor issue.
    >
    > Which one do you own?
    >
    > The frequencies are key to getting full resolution. I have a Samsung
    > Syncmaster at Work that was horrible to get working (please don't tell
    > me you have a Syncmaster 945BW!!!)
    >
    > Let us know.

    Hi Mong. My monitor is "Vibrant" model no. VM71RDA-E01 (Horizontal
    30Khz-70Khz Vertical 50Hz-130Hz). Any suggestions?

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  16. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:22:47 +0200, Ramon wrote:

    > Moog wrote:

    [snip]
    > Hi Mong. My monitor is "Vibrant" model no. VM71RDA-E01 (Horizontal
    > 30Khz-70Khz Vertical 50Hz-130Hz). Any suggestions?

    Mong. ROFLMAO :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  17. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:16:32 -0500, Ignoramus31137 wrote:

    > On 2008-07-29, Ramon wrote:
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    >> displays situation!
    >>
    >> I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia driver
    >> is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can support. Is
    >> there a way how I can low the resolution?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    What nvidia driver should be used and why is nvidia-glx-new junk?

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, May 2008
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  18. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:22:47 +0200, Ramon wrote:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:

    > [snip]
    >> Hi Mong. My monitor is "Vibrant" model no. VM71RDA-E01 (Horizontal
    >> 30Khz-70Khz Vertical 50Hz-130Hz). Any suggestions?

    > Mong. ROFLMAO :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    Sry. typographical error. :S

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  19. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-30, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:16:32 -0500, Ignoramus31137 wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not change the
    >>> displays situation!
    >>>
    >>> I have a strong feeling that there is no display since the nvidia driver
    >>> is trying to set a higher resolution than the monitor can support. Is
    >>> there a way how I can low the resolution?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing
    >>
    >> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    > What nvidia driver should be used and why is nvidia-glx-new junk?

    The standard open source driver (without 3D acceleration) should be
    used if your nvidia-glx-new makes your systemn unstable. The river is
    junk because it is full of bugs and is closed source.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-30, Ignoramus19611 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-30, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing
    >>>
    >>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    >> What nvidia driver should be used and why is nvidia-glx-new junk?
    >>

    > The standard open source driver (without 3D acceleration) should be
    > used if your nvidia-glx-new makes your systemn unstable. The river is
    > junk because it is full of bugs and is closed source.

    the standard driver's name is nv.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread