Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > What i've done so far: > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new > [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig > [3] Edited the xorg.conf file, arranges the monitor's frequencies and > added the resolution modeline (obtained via xvidtune). ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > What i've done so far:
    > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    > [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    > [3] Edited the xorg.conf file, arranges the monitor's frequencies and
    > added the resolution modeline (obtained via xvidtune).
    >
    > Part of the xorg.conf file is shown below:
    > [snip]
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor0"
    > VendorName "Unknown"
    > ModelName "Unknown"
    > HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    > VertRefresh 50.0 - 130.0
    > ModeLine "1024x768" 94.50 1024 1096 1200 1376 768
    > 771 775 809 -hsync +vsync
    > Option "DPMS"
    > EndSection
    > [snip]
    >
    > [4] Restarted the X server ... still NO display (blank screen).
    >
    > [5] Examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log and tried to extract the errors. The
    > following is the error that the log file has:
    >
    > (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    > (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    >
    > Any suggestion? Thanks.

    Interesting.

    What is the output of
    $ sudo lspci | grep nVidia

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

  2. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Ramon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> This is what i've done:
    >>> [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    >>> [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig (displayed a warning -- see my first post )
    >>> [3] Hardware Drivers Manager -> "Nvidia accelerated graphics driver"
    >>> was already ticked!
    >>> [4] Restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-del) and still there was no display.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect that the Nvidia driver is /assuming/ that my monitor supports
    >>> a resolution higher than 1024x768 (which is not the case).
    >>>
    >>> If the above statement is true, is there a way how one can change the
    >>> monitor's resolution after installing the Nvidia driver (using a command
    >>> line interface)? Any suggestions are more than welcomed! Thanks.

    >> Thanks for the info Ramon.
    >>
    >> OK. It could be another monitor issue.
    >>
    >> Which one do you own?
    >>
    >> The frequencies are key to getting full resolution. I have a Samsung
    >> Syncmaster at Work that was horrible to get working (please don't tell
    >> me you have a Syncmaster 945BW!!!)
    >>
    >> Let us know.
    >>

    > Hi Mong.

    Steady on, now. ;-)

    --
    "When I wake up in the morning, I just can't get started until I've had
    that first, piping hot pot of coffee. Oh, I've tried other enemas..." ~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3