Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Ramon wrote: > Hi, > > Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu > 8.04) by doing the following steps: > > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new > [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig > > The following error ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ramon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    > 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >
    > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    > [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >
    > The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >
    > ----------------------------------
    > Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >
    > VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    > Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    > Driver line.
    >
    > Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    > New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    > ----------------------------------
    >
    > I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete
    > since I am using KDE) and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no
    > display)!!
    >
    > Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    > 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher
    > resolution (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    What i've done so far:
    [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    [3] Edited the xorg.conf file, arranges the monitor's frequencies and
    added the resolution modeline (obtained via xvidtune).

    Part of the xorg.conf file is shown below:
    [snip]
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 130.0
    ModeLine "1024x768" 94.50 1024 1096 1200 1376 768
    771 775 809 -hsync +vsync
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection
    [snip]

    [4] Restarted the X server ... still NO display (blank screen).

    [5] Examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log and tried to extract the errors. The
    following is the error that the log file has:

    (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Any suggestion? Thanks.

    --
    E-mail address: ramif_47(at)yahoo.co.uk

  2. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:22:47 +0200, Ramon wrote:
    >

    >> Moog wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Hi Mong. My monitor is "Vibrant" model no. VM71RDA-E01 (Horizontal
    >> 30Khz-70Khz Vertical 50Hz-130Hz). Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Mong. ROFLMAO :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    Isn't that short for "mongrel"?

    --
    John

  3. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    in 65629 20080730 130305 Ignoramus19611 wrote:
    >On 2008-07-30, Bob Martin wrote:
    >> in 65543 20080729 220709 Patrick Phillips wrote:

    >>>It works fine, and that's first time I've seen anyone post otherwise
    >>>and suspect that was a opinion.

    >> I've been unable to get my 7300GT working on the last 3 versions of Ubuntu.

    >Are you saying that it did not work with any driver at all? Or that it
    >does not work with the "closed source driver"?

    Sorry, that was sloppy of me, I was in a hurry. I meant that all my attempts to
    get it working with other than "nv" have failed dismally, and judging by what I
    read on the web I am far from the only one.
    IOW - It's fine with nv

  4. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Bob Martin wrote:
    > in 65629 20080730 130305 Ignoramus19611 wrote:

    >>> I've been unable to get my 7300GT working on the last 3 versions of Ubuntu.

    >>Are you saying that it did not work with any driver at all? Or that it
    >>does not work with the "closed source driver"?

    > Sorry, that was sloppy of me, I was in a hurry. I meant that all my attempts to
    > get it working with other than "nv" have failed dismally, and judging by what I
    > read on the web I am far from the only one.
    > IOW - It's fine with nv

    I am in the same boat, the 'nv' driver works every time and the
    "NVidia closed source driver" gives me trouble. I do not feel that I
    am missing much by not using that driver. All Linux kernel people, of
    which I am obviously not one, hate those closed source driver.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, Bob Martin wrote:
    >> in 65629 20080730 130305 Ignoramus19611 wrote:

    >>>Are you saying that it did not work with any driver at all? Or that it
    >>>does not work with the "closed source driver"?

    >> Sorry, that was sloppy of me, I was in a hurry. I meant that all my attempts to
    >> get it working with other than "nv" have failed dismally, and judging by what I
    >> read on the web I am far from the only one.
    >> IOW - It's fine with nv

    > I am in the same boat, the 'nv' driver works every time and the
    > "NVidia closed source driver" gives me trouble. I do not feel that I
    > am missing much by not using that driver. All Linux kernel people, of
    > which I am obviously not one, hate those closed source driver.

    Well I tried to install the nvidia driver using their
    installer, but after it *pretends* to install the driver, at
    the next reboot X can't load, and it complains that no
    "nvidia-driver" could be found.

    Right now I'm using a nvidia driver I could install via
    "hardware-driver". I'm sure though when I restart the new
    kernel I will have to start at scratch.

    Here on this 64bit box I can't get dpkg-reconfigure to work,
    that it would allow me to setup the card, monitor etc.etc.
    (no -plow -phigh)

    Dragomir Kollaric

  6. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >>> Sorry, that was sloppy of me, I was in a hurry. I meant that all my attempts to
    >>> get it working with other than "nv" have failed dismally, and judging by what I
    >>> read on the web I am far from the only one.
    >>> IOW - It's fine with nv

    >> I am in the same boat, the 'nv' driver works every time and the
    >> "NVidia closed source driver" gives me trouble. I do not feel that I
    >> am missing much by not using that driver. All Linux kernel people, of
    >> which I am obviously not one, hate those closed source driver.

    > Well I tried to install the nvidia driver using their
    > installer, but after it *pretends* to install the driver, at
    > the next reboot X can't load, and it complains that no
    > "nvidia-driver" could be found.
    >
    > Right now I'm using a nvidia driver I could install via
    > "hardware-driver". I'm sure though when I restart the new
    > kernel I will have to start at scratch.
    >
    > Here on this 64bit box I can't get dpkg-reconfigure to work,
    > that it would allow me to setup the card, monitor etc.etc.
    > (no -plow -phigh)

    Dragomir, maybe I missed something, but have you tried removing the
    nvidia closed source driver, completely, and using the regular system
    nv driver?

    Can you try doing that if you have not done so already?

    That is

    1) Remove whatever nvidia closed driver you installed. Make really
    sure you removed it

    2) reboot

    3) run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Dragomir, maybe I missed something, but have you tried removing the
    > nvidia closed source driver, completely, and using the regular system
    > nv driver?
    >
    > Can you try doing that if you have not done so already?
    >
    > That is
    >
    > 1) Remove whatever nvidia closed driver you installed. Make really
    > sure you removed it

    Well I be darned no, I have in all the attempts removed any
    of these drivers.

    I've got a couple of other problems to solve.
    # got 4GB of Ram
    but not all are seen:
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3002048 2030984 971064 0 97504 1240824
    -/+ buffers/cache: 692656 2309392
    Swap: 1020116 0 1020116

    Video-card has its own whopping 256MB, so it doesn't steal
    system-ram.

    kernel is the Ubuntu-stock 2.6.24-20-rt right now I'm
    building my own, as the second problem is related to the NIC
    I get "tx unit hang errors" at boot up. the only workaround
    so far that (somewhat) works if I append mem=4096MB to the
    grub command-line.

    The nvidia-driver installed now doesn't give me any problem.
    But I'm sure the custom-kernel will have to run with a "nv"
    driver. I'm not using all the eyecandy heck I still run XFCE
    on a dual core AMD 3800+ old habits die not that easy. :-)

    > 2) reboot
    >
    > 3) run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    Dragomir Kollaric

  8. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >> Dragomir, maybe I missed something, but have you tried removing the
    >> nvidia closed source driver, completely, and using the regular system
    >> nv driver?
    >>
    >> Can you try doing that if you have not done so already?
    >>
    >> That is
    >>
    >> 1) Remove whatever nvidia closed driver you installed. Make really
    >> sure you removed it

    > Well I be darned no, I have in all the attempts removed any
    > of these drivers.

    So, you removed them, and video card still does not work, even after
    dpkg-reconfigure?

    > I've got a couple of other problems to solve.
    > # got 4GB of Ram
    > but not all are seen:
    > total used free shared buffers cached
    > Mem: 3002048 2030984 971064 0 97504 1240824
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 692656 2309392
    > Swap: 1020116 0 1020116

    Does the self test during BIOS boot report 4 GB?

    Can you post the output of dmidecode?

    sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt

    > Video-card has its own whopping 256MB, so it doesn't steal
    > system-ram.
    >
    > kernel is the Ubuntu-stock 2.6.24-20-rt right now I'm
    > building my own, as the second problem is related to the NIC
    > I get "tx unit hang errors" at boot up. the only workaround
    > so far that (somewhat) works if I append mem=4096MB to the
    > grub command-line.

    strange

    you are not using anything strange like a crossover cable?

    > The nvidia-driver installed now doesn't give me any problem.
    > But I'm sure the custom-kernel will have to run with a "nv"
    > driver. I'm not using all the eyecandy heck I still run XFCE
    > on a dual core AMD 3800+ old habits die not that easy. :-)

    Nothing wrong with xfce. On my main home desktop, I reverted back to
    FVWM.

    >> 2) reboot
    >>
    >> 3) run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:33:23 -0500, Ignoramus19611 wrote:

    > On 2008-07-30, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> That driver is junk. Try uninstalling it and doing
    >>>
    >>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    >> What nvidia driver should be used and why is nvidia-glx-new junk?
    >>

    > The standard open source driver (without 3D acceleration) should be used
    > if your nvidia-glx-new makes your systemn unstable. The river is junk
    > because it is full of bugs and is closed source.

    What bugs is it full of?

  10. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:33:23 -0500, Ignoramus19611 wrote:

    >>> What nvidia driver should be used and why is nvidia-glx-new junk?
    >>>

    >> The standard open source driver (without 3D acceleration) should be used
    >> if your nvidia-glx-new makes your systemn unstable. The river is junk
    >> because it is full of bugs and is closed source.

    > What bugs is it full of?

    Screen locking bugs, OS lockup bugs, and so on.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dragomir, maybe I missed something, but have you tried removing the
    >>> nvidia closed source driver, completely, and using the regular system
    >>> nv driver?
    >>>
    >>> Can you try doing that if you have not done so already?
    >>>
    >>> That is
    >>>
    >>> 1) Remove whatever nvidia closed driver you installed. Make really
    >>> sure you removed it

    >> Well I be darned no, I have in all the attempts removed any
    >> of these drivers.

    > So, you removed them, and video card still does not work, even after
    > dpkg-reconfigure?

    Actually I have no problem with the nvidia driver now (as I didn't
    have before) using the stock Ubuntu kernels. At first I used the
    "nv" driver and installed them using "hard-ware drivers".
    But using the installer from nvidia proper I run into problems.

    Now I'm running a 2.6.25.9-custom-02 kernel with sound.

    While the kernel was compiled, I removed everything relating to
    nvidia, booted the new kernel and let enyng -t do it's thing, it
    installed about 18 packages.

    >> I've got a couple of other problems to solve.
    >> # got 4GB of Ram
    >> but not all are seen:
    >> total used free shared buffers cached
    >> Mem: 3002048 2030984 971064 0 97504 1240824
    >> -/+ buffers/cache: 692656 2309392
    >> Swap: 1020116 0 1020116

    > Does the self test during BIOS boot report 4 GB?

    Yeah it says I have 4096MB. Searching for the solution I came across
    the hint that one can tell the kernel how much memory is in the box.
    When I compiled the kernel I couln't find a option to tell it how
    much RAM I wanted to use...

    > Can you post the output of dmidecode?
    >
    > sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt

    here it is: (and it is long...)

    # dmidecode 2.9
    SMBIOS 2.4 present.
    30 structures occupying 1431 bytes.
    Table at 0x000FBBD0.

    Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
    BIOS Information
    Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: P1.90
    Release Date: 05/04/2007
    Address: 0xF0000
    Runtime Size: 64 kB
    ROM Size: 512 kB
    Characteristics:
    PCI is supported
    BIOS is upgradeable
    BIOS shadowing is allowed
    Boot from CD is supported
    Selectable boot is supported
    BIOS ROM is socketed
    EDD is supported
    5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
    3.5"/720 KB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
    3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
    Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
    8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
    Serial services are supported (int 14h)
    Printer services are supported (int 17h)
    CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
    ACPI is supported
    USB legacy is supported
    LS-120 boot is supported
    ATAPI Zip drive boot is supported
    BIOS boot specification is supported
    Function key-initiated network boot is supported
    Targeted content distribution is supported
    BIOS Revision: 8.12

    Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
    System Information
    Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Product Name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    UUID: 00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Family: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

    Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
    Base Board Information
    Manufacturer:
    Product Name: AM2NF3-VSTA
    Version:
    Serial Number:
    Asset Tag:
    Features:
    Board is a hosting board
    Board is replaceable
    Location In Chassis:
    Chassis Handle: 0x0003
    Type: Motherboard
    Contained Object Handles: 0

    Handle 0x0003, DMI type 3, 21 bytes
    Chassis Information
    Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Type: Desktop
    Lock: Not Present
    Version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Boot-up State: Safe
    Power Supply State: Safe
    Thermal State: Safe
    Security Status: None
    OEM Information: 0x00000000
    Height: Unspecified
    Number Of Power Cords: 1
    Contained Elements: 0

    Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
    Processor Information
    Socket Designation: CPUSocket
    Type: Central Processor
    Family: Athlon 64 X2
    Manufacturer: AMD
    ID: B2 0F 04 00 FF FB 8B 17
    Signature: Family 15, Model 75, Stepping 2
    Flags:
    FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
    VME (Virtual mode extension)
    DE (Debugging extension)
    PSE (Page size extension)
    TSC (Time stamp counter)
    MSR (Model specific registers)
    PAE (Physical address extension)
    MCE (Machine check exception)
    CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
    APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
    SEP (Fast system call)
    MTRR (Memory type range registers)
    PGE (Page global enable)
    MCA (Machine check architecture)
    CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
    PAT (Page attribute table)
    PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
    CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
    MMX (MMX technology supported)
    FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
    SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
    SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
    HTT (Hyper-threading technology)
    Version: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
    Voltage: 1.5 V
    External Clock: 200 MHz
    Max Speed: 2000 MHz
    Current Speed: 2192 MHz
    Upgrade: Socket 940
    L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005
    L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006
    L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
    Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

    Handle 0x0005, DMI type 7, 19 bytes
    Cache Information
    Socket Designation: L1-Cache
    Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 1
    Operational Mode: Varies With Memory Address
    Location: Internal
    Installed Size: 256 KB
    Maximum Size: 256 KB
    Supported SRAM Types:
    Pipeline Burst
    Installed SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst
    Speed: Unknown
    Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
    System Type: Data
    Associativity: 4-way Set-associative

    Handle 0x0006, DMI type 7, 19 bytes
    Cache Information
    Socket Designation: L2-Cache
    Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 2
    Operational Mode: Varies With Memory Address
    Location: Internal
    Installed Size: 1024 KB
    Maximum Size: 1024 KB
    Supported SRAM Types:
    Pipeline Burst
    Installed SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst
    Speed: Unknown
    Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
    System Type: Unified
    Associativity: 4-way Set-associative

    Handle 0x0007, DMI type 5, 24 bytes
    Memory Controller Information
    Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
    Error Correcting Capabilities:
    None
    Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
    Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
    Maximum Memory Module Size: 2048 MB
    Maximum Total Memory Size: 8192 MB
    Supported Speeds:
    70 ns
    60 ns
    Supported Memory Types:
    DIMM
    SDRAM
    Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
    Associated Memory Slots: 4
    0x0008
    0x0009
    0x000A
    0x000B
    Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
    None

    Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
    Memory Module Information
    Socket Designation: DIMM0
    Bank Connections: 0 2
    Current Speed: Unknown
    Type: ECC DIMM
    Installed Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Error Status: OK

    Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
    Memory Module Information
    Socket Designation: DIMM1
    Bank Connections: 0 2
    Current Speed: Unknown
    Type: ECC DIMM
    Installed Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Error Status: OK

    Handle 0x000A, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
    Memory Module Information
    Socket Designation: DIMM2
    Bank Connections: 0 2
    Current Speed: Unknown
    Type: ECC DIMM
    Installed Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Error Status: OK

    Handle 0x000B, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
    Memory Module Information
    Socket Designation: DIMM3
    Bank Connections: 0 2
    Current Speed: Unknown
    Type: ECC DIMM
    Installed Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
    Error Status: OK

    Handle 0x000C, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: AGP
    Type: 32-bit AGP 4x
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 0
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x000D, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI1
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: Available
    Length: Short
    ID: 1
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x000E, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI2
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: Available
    Length: Short
    ID: 2
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x000F, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI3
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 3
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x0010, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI4
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 4
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x0011, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI5
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 5
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x0012, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
    Physical Memory Array
    Location: System Board Or Motherboard
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: None
    Maximum Capacity: 8 GB
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Number Of Devices: 4

    Handle 0x0013, DMI type 19, 15 bytes
    Memory Array Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00000000000
    Ending Address: 0x00143FFFFFF
    Range Size: 5184 MB
    Physical Array Handle: 0x0012
    Partition Width: 0

    Handle 0x0014, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0012
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 72 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM0
    Bank Locator: BANK0
    Type: DDR2
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer0
    Serial Number: SerNum0
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum0
    Part Number: PartNum0

    Handle 0x0015, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00000000000
    Ending Address: 0x0003FFFFFFF
    Range Size: 1 GB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x0014
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0013
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x0016, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0012
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 72 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM1
    Bank Locator: BANK1
    Type: DDR2
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer1
    Serial Number: SerNum1
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
    Part Number: PartNum1

    Handle 0x0017, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00040000000
    Ending Address: 0x0007FFFFFFF
    Range Size: 1 GB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x0016
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0013
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x0018, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0012
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 72 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM2
    Bank Locator: BANK2
    Type: DDR2
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
    Serial Number: SerNum2
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
    Part Number: PartNum2

    Handle 0x0019, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00080000000
    Ending Address: 0x000BFFFFFFF
    Range Size: 1 GB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x0018
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0013
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x001A, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0012
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 72 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM3
    Bank Locator: BANK3
    Type: DDR2
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer3
    Serial Number: SerNum3
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum3
    Part Number: PartNum3

    Handle 0x001B, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x000C0000000
    Ending Address: 0x000FFFFFFFF
    Range Size: 1 GB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x001A
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0013
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x001C, DMI type 32, 20 bytes
    System Boot Information

    Handle 0x001D, DMI type 127, 4 bytes
    End Of Table

    Hmmm I'm not sure if this matters, but it seems that the RAM-Sticks
    are not the same (contray to what I thought) Size 1GB vs 1024MB, but
    when I remove the line mem=4096MB from grub, it will start up, fine,
    but I'll ger the error related to the NIC. "Tx unit hang" I'd
    rather get online with 3GB then not and have all 4 GB available...

    >> Video-card has its own whopping 256MB, so it doesn't steal
    >> system-ram.
    >>
    >> kernel is the Ubuntu-stock 2.6.24-20-rt right now I'm
    >> building my own, as the second problem is related to the NIC
    >> I get "tx unit hang errors" at boot up. the only workaround
    >> so far that (somewhat) works if I append mem=4096MB to the
    >> grub command-line.

    > strange
    >
    > you are not using anything strange like a crossover cable?

    Maybe, at least I didn't by one for it. I've got here cable-modem
    and fouznd out yesterday I could hook up a USB-cable, I looked in
    the manual, but I couldn't find any hit if this was USB1 or USB2
    which of course I'd prefer. The Modem is a few years old 2004 or
    so IIRC.

    driver: rndis_host
    version: 22-Aug-2005
    firmware-version: RNDIS device
    bus-info: usb-0000:00:02.0-4

    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0766:0012 Jess-Link Products Co., Ltd
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0201 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09c1:1337 Arris Interactive LLC
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c040 Logitech, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

    >> The nvidia-driver installed now doesn't give me any problem.
    >> But I'm sure the custom-kernel will have to run with a "nv"
    >> driver. I'm not using all the eyecandy heck I still run XFCE
    >> on a dual core AMD 3800+ old habits die not that easy. :-)
    >>

    > Nothing wrong with xfce. On my main home desktop, I reverted back to
    > FVWM.

    I think it's a option on the Laptop I've got with DSL 486er
    CPU and 2GB HDD 16MB of Ram...

    >>> 2) reboot
    >>>
    >>> 3) run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >>> Well I be darned no, I have in all the attempts removed any
    >>> of these drivers.

    >> So, you removed them, and video card still does not work, even after
    >> dpkg-reconfigure?

    > Actually I have no problem with the nvidia driver now (as I didn't
    > have before) using the stock Ubuntu kernels. At first I used the
    > "nv" driver and installed them using "hard-ware drivers".
    > But using the installer from nvidia proper I run into problems.

    I see. My experience was the same.

    > Now I'm running a 2.6.25.9-custom-02 kernel with sound.

    Did you compile it yourself?

    Accidentally, I am experimenting on the 2.6.25 64 bit kernel, myself,
    and early indications suggest improved network performance compared to
    2.6.24 and 2.6.22.

> [...]

    > Asset Tag: AssetTagNum3
    > Part Number: PartNum3
    >
    > Handle 0x001B, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    > Memory Device Mapped Address
    > Starting Address: 0x000C0000000
    > Ending Address: 0x000FFFFFFFF
    > Range Size: 1 GB
    > Physical Device Handle: 0x001A
    > Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0013
    > Partition Row Position: 1
    >
    > Handle 0x001C, DMI type 32, 20 bytes
    > System Boot Information
    >
    > Handle 0x001D, DMI type 127, 4 bytes
    > End Of Table
    >

    > Hmmm I'm not sure if this matters, but it seems that the RAM-Sticks
    > are not the same (contray to what I thought) Size 1GB vs 1024MB, but
    > when I remove the line mem=4096MB from grub, it will start up, fine,
    > but I'll ger the error related to the NIC. "Tx unit hang" I'd
    > rather get online with 3GB then not and have all 4 GB available...

    I thought that all your ram sticks are the same? Did I miss soemthing?

    >>> Video-card has its own whopping 256MB, so it doesn't steal
    >>> system-ram.
    >>>
    >>> kernel is the Ubuntu-stock 2.6.24-20-rt right now I'm
    >>> building my own, as the second problem is related to the NIC
    >>> I get "tx unit hang errors" at boot up. the only workaround
    >>> so far that (somewhat) works if I append mem=4096MB to the
    >>> grub command-line.

    >> strange
    >>
    >> you are not using anything strange like a crossover cable?

    > Maybe, at least I didn't by one for it. I've got here cable-modem
    > and fouznd out yesterday I could hook up a USB-cable, I looked in
    > the manual, but I couldn't find any hit if this was USB1 or USB2
    > which of course I'd prefer. The Modem is a few years old 2004 or
    > so IIRC.
    >
    > driver: rndis_host
    > version: 22-Aug-2005
    > firmware-version: RNDIS device
    > bus-info: usb-0000:00:02.0-4
    >
    > Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0766:0012 Jess-Link Products Co., Ltd
    > Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
    > Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0201 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09c1:1337 Arris Interactive LLC
    > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c040 Logitech, Inc.
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

    I would try to connect to a regular hub or switch and through that, to
    another computer, and see if you get any errors, just to eliminate
    possibilities.

    >>> The nvidia-driver installed now doesn't give me any problem.
    >>> But I'm sure the custom-kernel will have to run with a "nv"
    >>> driver. I'm not using all the eyecandy heck I still run XFCE
    >>> on a dual core AMD 3800+ old habits die not that easy. :-)
    >>>

    >> Nothing wrong with xfce. On my main home desktop, I reverted back to
    >> FVWM.
    >>

    > I think it's a option on the Laptop I've got with DSL 486er
    > CPU and 2GB HDD 16MB of Ram...

    It is an option on Ubuntu also, very nice of them.

    >>> Dragomir Kollaric

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:20:08 -0500, Ignoramus25244 wrote:

    > On 2008-07-31, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> The standard open source driver (without 3D acceleration) should be
    >>> used if your nvidia-glx-new makes your systemn unstable. The river is
    >>> junk because it is full of bugs and is closed source.

    >> What bugs is it full of?
    >>

    > Screen locking bugs, OS lockup bugs, and so on.

    Hmm that's a shame. I don't have any problems.

    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...reenshot-2.jpg

    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...reenshot-1.jpg

    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j.../snapshot4.jpg

  14. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:20:08 -0500, Ignoramus25244 wrote:

    >>> What bugs is it full of?
    >>>

    >> Screen locking bugs, OS lockup bugs, and so on.

    > Hmm that's a shame. I don't have any problems.
    >
    > http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...reenshot-2.jpg
    >
    > http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...reenshot-1.jpg
    >
    > http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j.../snapshot4.jpg

    Good for you. Nice newsgroup selection under your newsreader.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  15. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-07-31, Ignoramus25244 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2008-07-31, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >>> So, you removed them, and video card still does not work, even after
    >>> dpkg-reconfigure?

    >> Actually I have no problem with the nvidia driver now (as I didn't
    >> have before) using the stock Ubuntu kernels. At first I used the
    >> "nv" driver and installed them using "hard-ware drivers".
    >> But using the installer from nvidia proper I run into problems.

    > I see. My experience was the same.
    >
    >> Now I'm running a 2.6.25.9-custom-02 kernel with sound.

    > Did you compile it yourself?

    Yeah used to do so every couple of months when I started out
    using Gnu/Linux almost 8 years ago. Back then I didn't
    compile all these unnecessary modules. I might do the same
    here too one of these days...But to get through the menus to
    uncheck them will take also some time, and the option to
    remove something that is needed.... It took about an hour...

    > Accidentally, I am experimenting on the 2.6.25 64 bit kernel, myself,
    > and early indications suggest improved network performance compared to
    > 2.6.24 and 2.6.22.

    As I don't run any servers or the like... :-)

    >> Hmmm I'm not sure if this matters, but it seems that the RAM-Sticks
    >> are not the same (contray to what I thought) Size 1GB vs 1024MB, but
    >> when I remove the line mem=4096MB from grub, it will start up, fine,
    >> but I'll ger the error related to the NIC. "Tx unit hang" I'd
    >> rather get online with 3GB then not and have all 4 GB available...

    > I thought that all your ram sticks are the same? Did I miss soemthing?

    Two of them are listed as being 1024MB the other two as 1GB.
    I bought them at different places, but made sure they were
    all the same (in fact they were advertised as 1GB sticks.
    But that shouldn't give any problems. It's the NIC that
    gives me troubles, I also installed the newest version of
    the module for it, but still the same, if I remove the
    mem=4096MB the kernel sees all 4GB (in fact a bit more) but
    then I can't get the NIC up and running. As to the USB-port
    for the cable-modem I might call the ISP, see what they've
    got to say.

    >>> strange
    >>>
    >>> you are not using anything strange like a crossover cable?

    >> Maybe, at least I didn't by one for it. I've got here cable-modem
    >> and fouznd out yesterday I could hook up a USB-cable, I looked in
    >> the manual, but I couldn't find any hit if this was USB1 or USB2
    >> which of course I'd prefer. The Modem is a few years old 2004 or
    >> so IIRC.
    >>
    >> driver: rndis_host
    >> version: 22-Aug-2005
    >> firmware-version: RNDIS device
    >> bus-info: usb-0000:00:02.0-4
    >>
    >> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0766:0012 Jess-Link Products Co., Ltd
    >> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
    >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
    >> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    >> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    >> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0201 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    >> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
    >> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09c1:1337 Arris Interactive LLC
    >> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c040 Logitech, Inc.
    >> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

    > I would try to connect to a regular hub or switch and through that, to
    > another computer, and see if you get any errors, just to eliminate
    > possibilities.

    This is not possible here, the other PC is very old, and in
    pieces right now as I used the NIC for this one.

    >>> Nothing wrong with xfce. On my main home desktop, I reverted back to
    >>> FVWM.
    >>>

    >> I think it's a option on the Laptop I've got with DSL 486er
    >> CPU and 2GB HDD 16MB of Ram...

    > It is an option on Ubuntu also, very nice of them.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  16. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On 07/31/2008 10:37 AM Ignoramus25244 scribbled:

    not for nuttin, anyone around here ever heard of trimming/snipping a post?

    sheesh, its all the same nvidia screed anyway but applies to other posts
    as well...

  17. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:49:14 -0500, Ignoramus25244 wrote:

    > On 2008-07-31, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Screen locking bugs, OS lockup bugs, and so on.

    >> Hmm that's a shame. I don't have any problems.
    >>
    >> http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...reenshot-2.jpg
    >>
    >> http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...reenshot-1.jpg
    >>
    >> http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j.../snapshot4.jpg
    >>

    > Good for you. Nice newsgroup selection under your newsreader.

    You mean the xp froup? Yeh I have a pal or two there. Was reading about a
    small app like Compiz for XP. Haven't tried it yet, don't use the XP box
    for much these days.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, May 2008
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  18. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    On Thu, -0700,

    > anyone here heard trimming

    I have heard something about trimming.

    --

  19. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    * Bob Martin peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>Are you saying that it did not work with any driver at all? Or that it
    >>does not work with the "closed source driver"?

    > Sorry, that was sloppy of me, I was in a hurry. I meant that all my attempts to
    > get it working with other than "nv" have failed dismally, and judging by what I
    > read on the web I am far from the only one.
    > IOW - It's fine with nv

    Read through /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and search for error markers ("EE").
    It might be something a simple as not loading "glx" in xorg.conf.

    I've also heard that Nvidia's writing over of the Mesa (OpenGL) files
    can screw things up, though it's never happened to me. (People on the
    Debian list keep telling me "it will, it will".)

    --
    Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
    -- Klingon Soldier, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

  20. Re: Nvidia problems on Ubuntu 8.04

    Ramon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Recently I've tried to install Nvidia graphics card driver (on Ubuntu
    > 8.04) by doing the following steps:
    >
    > [1] sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    > [2] sudo nvidia-xconfig
    >
    > The following error occurred when I've performed step [2]:
    >
    > ----------------------------------
    > Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    >
    > VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    > Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
    > Driver line.
    >
    > Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    > New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    > ----------------------------------
    >
    > I've then restarted the X server (ctrl-alt-Delete
    > since I am using KDE) and the monitor suddenly turned off (there was no
    > display)!!
    >
    > Probably, there is no display since my monitor's highest resolution is
    > 1024x768 and the graphics card driver is trying to use a higher
    > resolution (my graphics card is Nvidia 7300 GT).
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Ok problem solved! Instead of installing nvidia-glx-new, if tried to
    install nvidia-glx and now everything is working fine. It is strange
    since my graphic card is relatively new (bought it last year).

    Thanks to all of you.