Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm" - Ubuntu ; By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special tools ...

  1. Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    tools that you use. Thanks

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    Ignoramus31137 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    > things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    > is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    > tools that you use. Thanks

    The first one you'll need is "common sense"

    Good luck in your quest finding it.

    --
    "Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder
    a loved one because they're the devil." ~ Emo Philips

  3. Re: Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    On 2008-07-29, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus31137 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    >> things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    >> is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    >> tools that you use. Thanks

    > The first one you'll need is "common sense"
    >
    > Good luck in your quest finding it.

    OK, I understand a temptation to make a cheap shot. But are you
    running something like that, or not?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    Ignoramus31137 wrote:
    > By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    > things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    > is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    > tools that you use. Thanks

    I run several servers, some Debian, some Fedora Core, some Ubuntu, some
    Mac, ....

    However your terminology and questions don't make a lot of sense, so I
    don't know how to answer your question(s).

    I will admit to using a new Craftsman reciprocating saw this afternoon,
    if you consider that a "special tool."

    --
    John

  5. Re: Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    On 2008-07-29, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Ignoramus31137 wrote:
    >> By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    >> things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    >> is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    >> tools that you use. Thanks
    >>

    > I'm not, but doesn't the initial install offer a "cluster server" setup?

    Good question. I do not recall such an option but maybe I am missing
    something. I am installing a bunch of servers at work running similar
    apps under same scripts (which I write).

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    On 2008-07-29, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ignoramus31137 wrote:
    >> By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    >> things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    >> is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    >> tools that you use. Thanks

    > I run several servers, some Debian, some Fedora Core, some Ubuntu, some
    > Mac, ....
    >
    > However your terminology and questions don't make a lot of sense, so I
    > don't know how to answer your question(s).

    > I will admit to using a new Craftsman reciprocating saw this afternoon,
    > if you consider that a "special tool."

    The tools for managing many servers include, for example,
    cfengine. That would be one example. I am not using it, however.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Is there anyone else here who is operating a "server farm"

    Ignoramus31137 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-29, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Ignoramus31137 wrote:
    >>> By "server farm" I understand a number of servers, all doing similar
    >>> things in similar manner. Is there anybody else who is doing that and
    >>> is running a server farm based on ubuntu. If so, are there are special
    >>> tools that you use. Thanks
    >>>

    >> I'm not, but doesn't the initial install offer a "cluster server" setup?

    > Good question. I do not recall such an option but maybe I am missing
    > something. I am installing a bunch of servers at work running similar
    > apps under same scripts (which I write).

    Looking at 8.04 Server install now and it doesn't... I'm sure I have
    seen it before, maybe it was in Gutsy or earlier? Or maybe even 8.04.1?

    Not much help but

    And this project is supposed to make it "easy" to set up a cluster
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyUbuntuClustering
    (There a demo plan at the bottom of the page).

+ Reply to Thread