Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux - Ubuntu ; On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:47:23 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote: > Denigris wrote: >> Hi all >> >> I use Audio Hijack with my Mac. This is a program that allows you to >> capture *any* audio source and save ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

  1. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:47:23 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Denigris wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I use Audio Hijack with my Mac. This is a program that allows you to
    >> capture *any* audio source and save it to a file. You can save streaming
    >> internet audio, the audio track of a DVD or video game, etc. It also
    >> allows the easy filtering and modifying of the sound. I would like to know
    >> if a similar open source application is available for linux, and if so,
    >> where I can go to get it.

    > What I've always done is simply use
    > mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi
    >
    > Then edit the resulting wav file in audacity.
    > Mplayer can do this with most things, bbc radio streams, dvd, vcd, avi, etc.
    > The only limit is DRM, I think.

    A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    Thanks for taking the time........

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    >> What I've always done is simply use
    >> mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi
    >> Then edit the resulting wav file in audacity.

    > A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    Business users should never need to download (or is it "steal") media
    most of the time. And if they do, they could usually have the legitimate
    source.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26

  3. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> What I've always done is simply use
    >>> mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi
    >>> Then edit the resulting wav file in audacity.

    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    > Business users should never need to download (or is it "steal") media
    > most of the time. And if they do, they could usually have the legitimate
    > source.

    If a media link was made difficult for people to download (
    ie, not just a right-click and save-as), then you should
    respect that rule.

    Thieves don't blame someone for not providing you an easy way to "steal"
    those files. They pick the locks themselves.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 18:32:01 up 7:58 1 user load average: 1.03 1.04 1.00
    (CSSA):

  4. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> What I've always done is simply use
    >>> mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi
    >>> Then edit the resulting wav file in audacity.
    >>>

    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>

    > Business users should never need to download (or is it "steal") media
    > most of the time. And if they do, they could usually have the legitimate
    > source.

    [Pointless advocacy troll-trap removed]

    Your statement makes me think....

    What is the difference between a "business user" and a non-business
    user, like a "home user"?

    Sounds like you place a business a notch above a user when comparing
    honesty. Here in America, it is generally a business, more specifically
    a corporation (including the government) that is the most dishonest. Not
    the little guy.

    Frequently it is a business selling inferior junk, and usually from
    places like China. ;-)

    Then I am forced to support them through my taxes as they write off
    their cost of advertising from their taxes. Plus those constant lies
    that are forced upon everyone who tries to use the TV for education or
    even entertainment. Commercials are the granddaddy of spam.

    Then, just how do you download "media"? Does the finished product pop
    out of your media drive ("cup holder") door when finished?

    Can you download rewritable media, or is it RO media? CD or DVD, or
    both? Or it could even be a lowly 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy disk.

    Media comes out of my printer too. ;-)

    --
    John

  5. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >>> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>>

    >> Business users should never need to download (or is it "steal") media
    >> most of the time. And if they do, they could usually have the legitimate
    >> source.
    >>

    > If a media link was made difficult for people to download (
    > ie, not just a right-click and save-as), then you should
    > respect that rule.
    >
    > Thieves don't blame someone for not providing you an easy way to "steal"
    > those files. They pick the locks themselves.

    You are a rare individual indeed, to sit in China and badmouth
    "stealing" anything.

    Do you also condemn spam? ;-)

    Be careful; you could be taken off to some commie prison and tortured
    for life. Or killed if you are more fortunate.

    From what I see on the evening news, you can just stay in your chair and
    the pollution will eventually get you.

    --
    John

  6. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On behalf of "Moshe Goldfard", who has appropriated the name of a
    survivor of the Sobibor concentration camp, I wish to apologize to the
    non-advocacy newsgroups for "Moshe"'s unjustified cross-posting.

    He enjoys engendering conflict between newsgroups devoted to competing
    operating systems.

    --
    "I assure you the thought never even crossed my mind, lord."
    "Indeed? Then if I were you I'd sue my face for slander."

  7. [ot]

    > You are a rare individual indeed, to sit in China and badmouth
    > "stealing" anything.
    > Do you also condemn spam? ;-)

    China is a big country. Your idea of China is Beijing.
    I don't belong to Beiging's gene pool, but Canton.

    > Be careful; you could be taken off to some commie prison and tortured
    > for life. Or killed if you are more fortunate.
    > From what I see on the evening news, you can just stay in your chair and
    > the pollution will eventually get you.

    How much oil is USA's leisure driving stealing from the rest of the
    world? I think that prison is waiting for those.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 19:34:01 up 9:00 1 user load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
    (CSSA):

  8. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    > Media comes out of my printer too. ;-)

    Ok, I should have used the word "entertainment media". U won.
    SO... good night. We need good sleep! -_-

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 19:36:01 up 9:02 1 user load average: 1.00 1.01 1.00
    (CSSA):

  9. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > On behalf of "Moshe Goldfard", who has appropriated the name of a
    > survivor of the Sobibor concentration camp, I wish to apologize to the
    > non-advocacy newsgroups for "Moshe"'s unjustified cross-posting.
    >
    > He enjoys engendering conflict between newsgroups devoted to competing
    > operating systems.

    Indeed. Scum of the earth, flatfish and friends are.
    And in case it escaped flatty's attention... DRM is dying.
    People are coming to the realisation that DRM media suppliers cannot be
    trusted as one by one, companies shut down their DRM license repositories.

    Yahoo is the latest one to drop it, meaning people who bought (rented
    really) music from one of these places will find themselves cut off and
    unable to play it on any machine not already licensed.

    Buy a new machine?
    ooo, touch luck, you'll just have to buy it again.

    Followups reset to JUST COLA.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  10. Re: [ot]

    > How much oil is USA's leisure driving stealing from the rest of the
    > world? I think that prison is waiting for those.

    How much electricity and resources is being wasted by the worldwide
    entertainment industry? Talking about guilt....

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 20:13:01 up 9:39 1 user load average: 1.01 1.02 1.00
    (CSSA):

  11. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On 2008-07-29, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> What I've always done is simply use
    >>> mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi
    >>> Then edit the resulting wav file in audacity.

    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    Why because it has very flexible and full featured tools.

    Sure some of them may not be "pretty" but they beat the hell out
    of the 20 crappy little Windows freeware utilities that are pretty
    enough and may even have their own installshield script (though
    not really being worth it) while not actually doing what you want.

    "can be done"

    trumps

    "doesn't scare away the n00bs"

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

  12. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On 2008-07-29, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    > Why because it has very flexible and full featured tools.
    >
    > Sure some of them may not be "pretty" but they beat the hell out
    > of the 20 crappy little Windows freeware utilities that are pretty
    > enough and may even have their own installshield script (though
    > not really being worth it) while not actually doing what you want.
    >
    > "can be done"
    >
    > trumps
    >
    > "doesn't scare away the n00bs"

    In most instances of actual use, being able to write scripts is much
    more useful than having cute GUI that is not scriptable.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:03:43 -0400
    :
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:47:23 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Denigris wrote:
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> I use Audio Hijack with my Mac. This is a program that allows you to
    >>> capture *any* audio source and save it to a file. You can save streaming
    >>> internet audio, the audio track of a DVD or video game, etc. It also
    >>> allows the easy filtering and modifying of the sound. I would like to know
    >>> if a similar open source application is available for linux, and if so,
    >>> where I can go to get it.

    >> What I've always done is simply use
    >> mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi
    >>
    >> Then edit the resulting wav file in audacity.
    >> Mplayer can do this with most things, bbc radio streams, dvd, vcd, avi, etc.
    >> The only limit is DRM, I think.

    > A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time........

    Exactly right, unless one is indeed a professional who
    knows what he's doing. But there are other ways to capture
    audio -- the simplest I can think of is Audacity.

    One can also look into 'sox', which has no GUI to speak
    of so Moshe will probably lambaste it to death, but it
    does have a number of converters.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  14. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> Thieves don't blame someone for not providing you an easy way to "steal"
    >> those files. They pick the locks themselves.

    > You are a rare individual indeed, to sit in China and badmouth
    > "stealing" anything.
    >
    > Do you also condemn spam? ;-)
    >
    > Be careful; you could be taken off to some commie prison and tortured
    > for life. Or killed if you are more fortunate.

    I thought it was the U.S. that did that.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  15. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Fred wrote:

    >John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >>> Thieves don't blame someone for not providing you an easy way to "steal"
    >>> those files. They pick the locks themselves.

    >> You are a rare individual indeed, to sit in China and badmouth
    >> "stealing" anything.
    >>
    >> Do you also condemn spam? ;-)
    >>
    >> Be careful; you could be taken off to some commie prison and tortured
    >> for life. Or killed if you are more fortunate.
    >>

    > I thought it was the U.S. that did that.

    Only if you're the wrong religion.

  16. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
> [...]

    Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then
    just saved them as wavs.
    Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    caver1

  17. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then
    > just saved them as wavs.
    > Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    > caver1

    Try using Streamtuner and Streamripper with Audacious, all available
    from Synaptic.

    Alias

  18. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On 2008-07-29, caver1 wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then

    How?

    > just saved them as wavs.
    > Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    > caver1

    If mplayer can play it, it can save it.

    It can't be alone in this capability (even under Hardy).

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

  19. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Alias wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity
    >> then just saved them as wavs.
    >> Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    >> caver1

    > Try using Streamtuner and Streamripper with Audacious, all available
    > from Synaptic.
    >
    > Alias

    Have already tried. I must have a problem with my system that is Hardy
    specific as I didn't have this problem with Gutsy. I can't record
    internet streams in any program. Have no problem recording any thing else.
    caver1

  20. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-07-29, caver1 wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then

    > How?

    Just opened Audacity and told it to record what it hears. can still do
    that in winxp.