Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux - Ubuntu ; On 2008-07-29, caver1 hit the keyboard and wrote: > Alias wrote: >> caver1 wrote: >>> Alias wrote: >>>> caver1 wrote: >>>>> JEDIDIAH wrote: >>>>>> On 2008-07-29, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) >>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>>> What I've always done is simply use ...

  1. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On 2008-07-29, caver1 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:

    I've read the whole thread, and here I got the message that
    streamtuner needs xmms installed so that it would play
    streams. I'm not sure if it is still available, but I didn't
    have all repos checked.

    Didn't bother to figure out how to change the player in
    streamtuner and run "stream-ripper" all by itself, saving
    the files into a folder this works. The files are in mp3
    format, now I play the music in amarock and have no problem
    with it.

    Of course if the program would be a live-broadcast I'd have
    to search for a solution, but as this works fine..... :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric

  2. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-29, caver1 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    > I've read the whole thread, and here I got the message that
    > streamtuner needs xmms installed so that it would play
    > streams. I'm not sure if it is still available, but I didn't
    > have all repos checked.
    >
    > Didn't bother to figure out how to change the player in
    > streamtuner and run "stream-ripper" all by itself, saving
    > the files into a folder this works. The files are in mp3
    > format, now I play the music in amarock and have no problem
    > with it.
    >
    > Of course if the program would be a live-broadcast I'd have
    > to search for a solution, but as this works fine..... :-)
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    You need to change the preferences in Tuner from XMMS to Audacious.

    Alias

  3. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:04:48 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Doesn;t work like that on my machines.
    >>> A box opens up and asks what you want to do based open the types of files
    >>> on the device. Or you can select the view files/folder selection as well.
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like someone somewhere along the line checked the box that says
    >>> "Always use this Option" and then selected "Do Nothing"...
    >>> Subsequently you won't see any dialog box when you plug the device in.
    >>>
    >>> Looks like pilot error to me.

    >> No it is a stock install, completely unaltered.

    >>> Duhhh...It's protecting you from yourself.
    >>>

    >> You reckon, so how do I unplug a USB printer? - USB is meant to hot plug
    >> you know or can't Windoze do that yet.
    >>

    >> I tried the test again but this time check the 'safely unplug hardware'
    >> tray thingy before doing it. No mention of a printer there at all. After
    >> repeating several times I discovered dozy Windows thinks my printer is a
    >> 'USB mass storage device'
    >>
    >> That's not protecting me from myself that's just plain crap.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > It sounds like you don't know what you are doing.
    > Sorry.

    But Moshe, is that not EXACTLY for whom Windoze is designed!!!!

    CHeers

    Ian

  4. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> It sounds like you don't know what you are doing.
    >> Sorry.
    >>

    > But Moshe, is that not EXACTLY for whom Windoze is designed!!!!

    Don't you just love the double standards.
    "linux is too hard, no-one can use it without a degree in computer science,
    windows is easy, people don't want to learn how to use a computer, they just
    want to use it and get their work done" from one side of the mouth....

    "Windows doesn't work well... Look at what happened to my USB printer"
    "You don't know what you're doing, didn't you know you need to edit the
    registry manually in order to use USB" with the other...

    (paraphrased the last bit, because, how else would you get enough control
    over USB to get it to identify things correctly if it can't by itself?)

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >>
    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    > One can also look into 'sox', which has no GUI to speak
    > of so Moshe will probably lambaste it to death, but it
    > does have a number of converters.

    By the time this timorous lump of meat, "Moshe", has gotten into his
    Google search for a suitable GUI application, I can write a short script
    that will convert a whole directory of raw PCM files into Windows wave
    files /or/ MP3 files, and run it.

    In fact, the running of it takes far less time than the writing, say
    maybe a second or two. The writing takes a couple minutes, including a
    test echoing of the command to see if it is going to do what I expect.

    (Just did this yesterday.)

    sox is also available on Windows:

    http://sox.sourceforge.net/

    --
    I couldn't possibly fail to disagree with you less.

  6. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    * Ian Thompson-Bell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> Doesn;t work like that on my machines.
    >> A box opens up and asks what you want to do based open the types of files
    >> on the device. Or you can select the view files/folder selection as well.
    >>
    >> Sounds like someone somewhere along the line checked the box that says
    >> "Always use this Option" and then selected "Do Nothing"...
    >> Subsequently you won't see any dialog box when you plug the device in.
    >>
    >> Looks like pilot error to me.

    > No it is a stock install, completely unaltered.

    Plus, that check-box has never listened to me when I tell it to "Always
    use this option." The box always comes back the next time I plug in a
    different brand of dongle.

    Idiocy.

    > I tried the test again but this time check the 'safely unplug hardware'
    > tray thingy before doing it. No mention of a printer there at all. After
    > repeating several times I discovered dozy Windows thinks my printer is a
    > 'USB mass storage device'
    >
    > That's not protecting me from myself that's just plain crap.

    Of course it is. Everyone knows the USB team is the stupidest team in
    Microsoft (if I may be forgiven for using a Bill Gates expression.)

    --
    A gentleman is a man who wouldn't hit a lady with his hat on.
    -- Evan Esar

  7. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>
    >> Thanks for taking the time........
    >>

    > And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    > into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected
    > then it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a
    > means to access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far
    > more quickly that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file
    > browser showing the contents of the device.
    >
    > Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    > printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    > power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a
    > document from another app and all well and good the printer is there
    > in the drop down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn
    > it off - do either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe
    > disconnection' of a device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles
    > connection and disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply
    > lists the printers it knows about and their status - including if
    > they are not connected.

    _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections don't work
    that way with a good installation of Windows.

    Format and Clean Install.

    > Windoze has a long way to go to achieve even the basic functionality
    > of Linux.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

  8. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On 2008-07-30, Alias hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >> I've read the whole thread, and here I got the message that
    >> streamtuner needs xmms installed so that it would play
    >> streams. I'm not sure if it is still available, but I didn't
    >> have all repos checked.
    >>
    >> Didn't bother to figure out how to change the player in
    >> streamtuner and run "stream-ripper" all by itself, saving
    >> the files into a folder this works. The files are in mp3
    >> format, now I play the music in amarock and have no problem
    >> with it.
    >>
    >> Of course if the program would be a live-broadcast I'd have
    >> to search for a solution, but as this works fine..... :-)
    >>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > You need to change the preferences in Tuner from XMMS to Audacious.

    Well I did, but the listen to .m3u is still "xmms", can't
    change it, even when I put in the full path. Actually I like
    to listen to the tracks when they are downloaded, I can skip
    one easier that way if I don't like it, with a stream I have
    to wait til its finished.

    Besides I have more then one instance of streamripper
    running when I'm in the mood....

    > Alias

    Dragomir Kollaric

  9. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:45:04 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> No it is a stock install, completely unaltered.

    >>> You reckon, so how do I unplug a USB printer? - USB is meant to hot plug
    >>> you know or can't Windoze do that yet.
    >>>

    >>> I tried the test again but this time check the 'safely unplug hardware'
    >>> tray thingy before doing it. No mention of a printer there at all. After
    >>> repeating several times I discovered dozy Windows thinks my printer is a
    >>> 'USB mass storage device'
    >>>
    >>> That's not protecting me from myself that's just plain crap.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> It sounds like you don't know what you are doing.
    >> Sorry.
    >>

    > But Moshe, is that not EXACTLY for whom Windoze is designed!!!!
    >
    > CHeers
    >
    > Ian

    Not when you answer dialog boxes with "Always do This" and forget about
    it..
    I tried 3 different keys on 3 different XP systems and got the dialog box.
    Then I checked the "Always do this /Do nothing" box and tried the key again
    and got the same result you are getting.

    Bottom line, somewhere along the line you checked that box and you don't
    remember doing it.....

    As for the USB printer, so what?
    Unless it's printing, unplug it.
    What's the big deal?

    Sheeesh you Linux loons sure seem to have problems with simple things.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:43:27 -0700, relic wrote:

    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for taking the time........
    >>>

    >> And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    >> into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected
    >> then it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a
    >> means to access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far
    >> more quickly that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file
    >> browser showing the contents of the device.
    >>
    >> Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    >> printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    >> power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a
    >> document from another app and all well and good the printer is there
    >> in the drop down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn
    >> it off - do either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe
    >> disconnection' of a device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles
    >> connection and disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply
    >> lists the printers it knows about and their status - including if
    >> they are not connected.

    > _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections don't work
    > that way with a good installation of Windows.
    >
    > Format and Clean Install.

    He checked the dialog box at one point "take no action" and doesn't
    remember doing so....

    User incompetence once again...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:43:27 -0700, relic wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    >>> And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    >>> into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected
    >>> then it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a
    >>> means to access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far
    >>> more quickly that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file
    >>> browser showing the contents of the device.
    >>>
    >>> Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    >>> printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    >>> power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a
    >>> document from another app and all well and good the printer is there
    >>> in the drop down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn
    >>> it off - do either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe
    >>> disconnection' of a device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles
    >>> connection and disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply
    >>> lists the printers it knows about and their status - including if
    >>> they are not connected.

    >> _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections don't work
    >> that way with a good installation of Windows.
    >>
    >> Format and Clean Install.

    > He checked the dialog box at one point "take no action" and doesn't
    > remember doing so....
    >
    > User incompetence once again...

    But Moshe, that's EXACTLY the type of user Windoze is designed for!!!

    Cheers

    Ian

  12. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:45:04 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> It sounds like you don't know what you are doing.
    >>> Sorry.
    >>>

    >> But Moshe, is that not EXACTLY for whom Windoze is designed!!!!
    >>
    >> CHeers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Not when you answer dialog boxes with "Always do This" and forget about
    > it..
    > I tried 3 different keys on 3 different XP systems and got the dialog box.
    > Then I checked the "Always do this /Do nothing" box and tried the key again
    > and got the same result you are getting.
    >
    > Bottom line, somewhere along the line you checked that box and you don't
    > remember doing it.....

    I have no recollection of any such dialog box and anyway the printer was
    installed a long time after Windoze. So if Windoze is so good how about
    telling me how to fix it or is Windoze so crap I'll have to do a
    complete re-install.

    > As for the USB printer, so what?
    > Unless it's printing, unplug it.
    > What's the big deal?

    So you are saying the Windoze warning is a complete waste of time. What
    a crock of ****.

    > Sheeesh you Linux loons sure seem to have problems with simple things.....

    That's a realy helpful comment Moshe. If that is a sample of the support
    available from other Windoze users I'm glad to be a Lonux Loon.

    Cheers

    Ian

  13. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:38:38 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> But Moshe, is that not EXACTLY for whom Windoze is designed!!!!
    >>>
    >>> CHeers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Not when you answer dialog boxes with "Always do This" and forget about
    >> it..
    >> I tried 3 different keys on 3 different XP systems and got the dialog box.
    >> Then I checked the "Always do this /Do nothing" box and tried the key again
    >> and got the same result you are getting.
    >>
    >> Bottom line, somewhere along the line you checked that box and you don't
    >> remember doing it.....
    >>

    > I have no recollection of any such dialog box and anyway the printer was
    > installed a long time after Windoze. So if Windoze is so good how about
    > telling me how to fix it or is Windoze so crap I'll have to do a
    > complete re-install.
    >
    >> As for the USB printer, so what?
    >> Unless it's printing, unplug it.
    >> What's the big deal?
    >>

    > So you are saying the Windoze warning is a complete waste of time. What
    > a crock of ****.
    >
    >> Sheeesh you Linux loons sure seem to have problems with simple things.....
    >>

    > That's a realy helpful comment Moshe. If that is a sample of the support
    > available from other Windoze users I'm glad to be a Lonux Loon.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    Yawwn....

    Look, you screwed your system up and that's the bottom line.
    If you want help fixing it, find a more appropriate group.
    This is a Linux *advocacy* group, or so [Homer] keeps saying.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections
    >>> don't work that way with a good installation of Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Format and Clean Install.

    >> He checked the dialog box at one point "take no action" and doesn't
    >> remember doing so....
    >>
    >> User incompetence once again...

    > But Moshe, that's EXACTLY the type of user Windoze is designed for!!!

    Not even Windows can handle the stupidity of a linux luser.

  15. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:39:31 -0700, Damian wrote:

    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> He checked the dialog box at one point "take no action" and doesn't
    >>> remember doing so....
    >>>
    >>> User incompetence once again...

    >> But Moshe, that's EXACTLY the type of user Windoze is designed for!!!

    > Not even Windows can handle the stupidity of a linux luser.

    How true....

    "Ian" seems like the type of person who jumps out of a skydiving club plane
    without a parachute and then blames the airline for not informing him he
    would need one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:48:32 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Not when you answer dialog boxes with "Always do This" and forget about
    > it..
    > I tried 3 different keys on 3 different XP systems and got the dialog
    > box. Then I checked the "Always do this /Do nothing" box and tried the
    > key again and got the same result you are getting.
    >
    > Bottom line, somewhere along the line you checked that box and you don't
    > remember doing it.....

    How do you fix that, though? uninstall and re-install the printer driver?

    -Thufir

  17. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:43:27 -0700, relic wrote:

    > _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections don't
    > work that way with a good installation of Windows.
    >
    > Format and Clean Install.

    Awesome. And contact the OEM for a disc?

    -Thufir

  18. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    thufir wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:43:27 -0700, relic wrote:
    >

    >> _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections
    >> don't work that way with a good installation of Windows.
    >>
    >> Format and Clean Install.

    > Awesome. And contact the OEM for a disc?

    No, if you don't have one, *BUY* one. God, linfuxes are cheap.

  19. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Damian wrote:
    > thufir wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:43:27 -0700, relic wrote:
    >>

    >>> _YOUR_ installation of Windows is farkled. USB Device connections
    >>> don't work that way with a good installation of Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Format and Clean Install.

    >> Awesome. And contact the OEM for a disc?

    > No, if you don't have one, *BUY* one. God, linfuxes are cheap.

    You have to BUY a disk to reinstall windows even though you've already PAID
    for windows?

    That's not cheap on the part of linux users, that's outright fraud from
    microsoft!
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  20. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Damian wrote:

    >Not even Windows can

    *plonk*