Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux - Ubuntu ; caver1 wrote: > Alias wrote: >> caver1 wrote: >>> JEDIDIAH wrote: >>>> On 2008-07-29, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) >>>> wrote: >>>>>>> What I've always done is simply use mplayer -ao >>>>>>> pcm:file=output.wav thingyouwanttocapture.avi >>>>>>> Then edit the resulting wav file ...

  1. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity
    >>> then just saved them as wavs.
    >>> Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    >>> caver1

    >> Try using Streamtuner and Streamripper with Audacious, all available
    >> from Synaptic.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Have already tried. I must have a problem with my system that is Hardy
    > specific as I didn't have this problem with Gutsy. I can't record
    > internet streams in any program. Have no problem recording any thing else.
    > caver1

    You installed both the tuner and the ripper?

    Alias

  2. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    > > Try using Streamtuner and Streamripper with Audacious, all available
    > > from Synaptic.

    > Have already tried. I must have a problem with my system that is Hardy
    > specific as I didn't have this problem with Gutsy. I can't record
    > internet streams in any program. Have no problem recording any thing else.

    Hardy's streamripper works ok.

    What does streamripper say if you run it from the terminal?

    Can you listen to the stream on which streamripper fails?

    What stream - or what kind of stream - is it?

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Alias wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> Try using Streamtuner and Streamripper with Audacious, all available
    >>> from Synaptic.
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    >> Have already tried. I must have a problem with my system that is Hardy
    >> specific as I didn't have this problem with Gutsy. I can't record
    >> internet streams in any program. Have no problem recording any thing
    >> else.
    >> caver1

    > You installed both the tuner and the ripper?
    >
    > Alias

    Yes
    caver1

  4. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then
    > just saved them as wavs.
    > Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.

    With mplayer on the commandline you can.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  5. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:

    >>> Have already tried. I must have a problem with my system that is
    >>> Hardy specific as I didn't have this problem with Gutsy. I can't
    >>> record internet streams in any program. Have no problem recording any
    >>> thing else.
    >>> caver1

    >> You installed both the tuner and the ripper?
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Yes
    > caver1

    Weird.

    Alias

  6. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>> Try using Streamtuner and Streamripper with Audacious, all available
    >>> from Synaptic.

    >> Have already tried. I must have a problem with my system that is Hardy
    >> specific as I didn't have this problem with Gutsy. I can't record
    >> internet streams in any program. Have no problem recording any thing else.

    > Hardy's streamripper works ok.
    >
    > What does streamripper say if you run it from the terminal?
    >
    > Can you listen to the stream on which streamripper fails?
    >
    > What stream - or what kind of stream - is it?

    This is what I get.

    prefs_fn = /home/horgnorgle/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    Connecting...
    stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock
    server name: Icecast 2.3.1
    bitrate: 0
    meta interval: -1

    then it just sit there.

    I can listen to all streams. Just can't record them.
    I don't think it's a software problem as all recorders fail on internet
    streams.
    caver1

  7. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:09:19 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-29, caver1 wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then

    > How?
    >
    >> just saved them as wavs.
    >> Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    >> caver1

    > If mplayer can play it, it can save it.
    >
    > It can't be alone in this capability (even under Hardy).

    mplayer works under Windows as well, last time I looked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:09:19 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-29, caver1 wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then

    > How?
    >
    >> just saved them as wavs.
    >> Now with Hardy I can't save any internet streams in any program.
    >> caver1

    > If mplayer can play it, it can save it.
    >
    > It can't be alone in this capability (even under Hardy).

    So does Audacity.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:

    > prefs_fn = /home/horgnorgle/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    > Connecting...
    > stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock
    > server name: Icecast 2.3.1
    > bitrate: 0
    > meta interval: -1

    > then it just sit there.

    > I can listen to all streams. Just can't record them.
    > I don't think it's a software problem as all recorders fail on internet
    > streams.
    > caver1

    Works here:
    -----------------
    $ streamripper http://mp3-vc-128.smgradio.com:80/
    prefs_fn = /home/myself/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    Connecting...
    stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock, live from London, UK - Hi BR MP3
    server name: SHOUTcast/SolarisSparc v1.9.7
    bitrate: 128
    meta interval: 8192

    [ripping... ] - [ 136kb]
    [ripping... ] Black Sabbath - Paranoid [ 53kb]
    shutting down

    $ streamripper --version
    Streamripper 1.63-beta-1
    -----------------

    This is the mp3 server. I get the same result as you with the ogg
    server.

    --
    Niklaus

  10. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> prefs_fn = /home/horgnorgle/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    >> Connecting...
    >> stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock
    >> server name: Icecast 2.3.1
    >> bitrate: 0
    >> meta interval: -1

    >> then it just sit there.

    >> I can listen to all streams. Just can't record them.
    >> I don't think it's a software problem as all recorders fail on internet
    >> streams.
    >> caver1

    > Works here:
    > -----------------
    > $ streamripper http://mp3-vc-128.smgradio.com:80/
    > prefs_fn = /home/myself/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    > Connecting...
    > stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock, live from London, UK - Hi BR MP3
    > server name: SHOUTcast/SolarisSparc v1.9.7
    > bitrate: 128
    > meta interval: 8192
    >
    > [ripping... ] - [ 136kb]
    > [ripping... ] Black Sabbath - Paranoid [ 53kb]
    > shutting down
    >
    > $ streamripper --version
    > Streamripper 1.63-beta-1
    > -----------------
    >
    > This is the mp3 server. I get the same result as you with the ogg
    > server.

    Okay. I finally figured it out. My sound card is starting to go bad. It
    will no longer support record what you hear/stereo mix. I guess it is
    just a coincidence (thank you for spell check) that it was at the same
    time that I started using Hardy. I guess.
    Thanks for the responses.
    caver1

  11. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time........

    And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected then
    it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a means to
    access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far more quickly
    that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file browser showing the
    contents of the device.

    Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a document
    from another app and all well and good the printer is there in the drop
    down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn it off - do
    either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe disconnection' of a
    device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles connection and
    disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply lists the
    printers it knows about and their status - including if they are not
    connected.

    Windoze has a long way to go to achieve even the basic functionality of
    Linux.

    Cheers

    Ian

  12. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Linonut wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > On behalf of "Moshe Goldfard", who has appropriated the name of a
    > survivor of the Sobibor concentration camp, I wish to apologize to
    > the non-advocacy newsgroups for "Moshe"'s unjustified cross-posting.
    >
    > He enjoys engendering conflict between newsgroups devoted to
    > competing operating systems.

    Goldfarb is a known troll. He always cross-posts to four
    newsgroups to generate maximum trouble. Please always ensure that
    you cut your replies down to one newsgroup, or set followups to
    that single group.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  13. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    caver1 wrote:
    > Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > > Works here:
    > > -----------------
    > > $ streamripper http://mp3-vc-128.smgradio.com:80/
    > > prefs_fn = /home/myself/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    > > Connecting...
    > > stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock, live from London, UK - Hi BR MP3
    > > server name: SHOUTcast/SolarisSparc v1.9.7
    > > bitrate: 128
    > > meta interval: 8192
    > >
    > > [ripping... ] - [ 136kb]
    > > [ripping... ] Black Sabbath - Paranoid [ 53kb]
    > > shutting down
    > >
    > > $ streamripper --version
    > > Streamripper 1.63-beta-1
    > > -----------------

    > Okay. I finally figured it out. My sound card is starting to go bad. It
    > will no longer support record what you hear/stereo mix. I guess it is
    > just a coincidence (thank you for spell check) that it was at the same
    > time that I started using Hardy. I guess.
    > Thanks for the responses.

    Streamripper doesn't use the soundcard.
    Is streamripper not working with the mp3 stream?

    --
    Niklaus

  14. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    * Ian Thompson-Bell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>
    >> Thanks for taking the time........

    > And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    > into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected then
    > it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a means to
    > access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far more quickly
    > that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file browser showing the
    > contents of the device.

    XP does the same thing (and you have other choices available).

    > Windoze has a long way to go to achieve even the basic functionality of
    > Linux.

    In some functions, that is true!

    --
    You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough.
    -- William Blake

  15. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.

    > And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory
    > stick into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware
    > drtected then it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this
    > device is or a means to access. Plugging the same stick into my
    > Ubuntu PC and far more quickly that the Windoze one, it detects
    > it and opens a file browser showing the contents of the device.

    Goldfarb is a known troll. He attempts to create trouble. Best
    to ignore him. If you do answer please ensure that you replace
    the heavy cross-posting with a follow-up to a single newsgroup.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  16. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >>> Works here:
    >>> -----------------
    >>> $ streamripper http://mp3-vc-128.smgradio.com:80/
    >>> prefs_fn = /home/myself/.config/streamripper/streamripper.ini
    >>> Connecting...
    >>> stream: Virgin Radio Classic Rock, live from London, UK - Hi BR MP3
    >>> server name: SHOUTcast/SolarisSparc v1.9.7
    >>> bitrate: 128
    >>> meta interval: 8192
    >>>
    >>> [ripping... ] - [ 136kb]
    >>> [ripping... ] Black Sabbath - Paranoid [ 53kb]
    >>> shutting down
    >>>
    >>> $ streamripper --version
    >>> Streamripper 1.63-beta-1
    >>> -----------------

    >> Okay. I finally figured it out. My sound card is starting to go bad. It
    >> will no longer support record what you hear/stereo mix. I guess it is
    >> just a coincidence (thank you for spell check) that it was at the same
    >> time that I started using Hardy. I guess.
    >> Thanks for the responses.

    > Streamripper doesn't use the soundcard.
    > Is streamripper not working with the mp3 stream?

    Nope. The only reason I figured it was the sound card is I took it out
    and put it in another working computer and have the same problem. Can't
    switch the sound cards or I will have an irate wife and daughter. ;p
    caver1

    Linonut wrote:
    > * caver1 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> Was able to capture internet audio streams in Gutsy using Audacity then
    >> just saved them as wavs. Now with Hardy I can't save any internet
    >> streams in any program.

    > How so? Have you tried streamripper/streamtuner?

    Yep that's what i said. I am close to being a noob so some things
    confuse me easily, but I usually don't ask here until I exhausted Google
    and forums.
    caver1

  18. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:58:43 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>
    >> Thanks for taking the time........
    >>

    > And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    > into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected then
    > it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a means to
    > access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far more quickly
    > that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file browser showing the
    > contents of the device.

    Doesn;t work like that on my machines.
    A box opens up and asks what you want to do based open the types of files
    on the device. Or you can select the view files/folder selection as well.

    Sounds like someone somewhere along the line checked the box that says
    "Always use this Option" and then selected "Do Nothing"...
    Subsequently you won't see any dialog box when you plug the device in.

    Looks like pilot error to me.

    > Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    > printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    > power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a document
    > from another app and all well and good the printer is there in the drop
    > down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn it off - do
    > either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe disconnection' of a
    > device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles connection and
    > disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply lists the
    > printers it knows about and their status - including if they are not
    > connected.

    Duhhh...It's protecting you from yourself.

    > Windoze has a long way to go to achieve even the basic functionality of
    > Linux.

    Which is why Linux desktop has 0.6 percent of the desktop market and
    Windows/Mac has the rest.

    It seems to work for others so I'm not sure what *you* are doing wrong,
    aside from what I wrote above.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:58:43 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> A perfect example of why Linux is ignored by the general public.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for taking the time........
    >>>

    >> And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    >> into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected then
    >> it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a means to
    >> access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far more quickly
    >> that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file browser showing the
    >> contents of the device.

    > Doesn;t work like that on my machines.
    > A box opens up and asks what you want to do based open the types of files
    > on the device. Or you can select the view files/folder selection as well.
    >
    > Sounds like someone somewhere along the line checked the box that says
    > "Always use this Option" and then selected "Do Nothing"...
    > Subsequently you won't see any dialog box when you plug the device in.
    >
    > Looks like pilot error to me.

    No it is a stock install, completely unaltered.

    >> Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    >> printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    >> power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a document
    >> from another app and all well and good the printer is there in the drop
    >> down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn it off - do
    >> either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe disconnection' of a
    >> device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles connection and
    >> disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply lists the
    >> printers it knows about and their status - including if they are not
    >> connected.

    > Duhhh...It's protecting you from yourself.

    You reckon, so how do I unplug a USB printer? - USB is meant to hot plug
    you know or can't Windoze do that yet.

    I tried the test again but this time check the 'safely unplug hardware'
    tray thingy before doing it. No mention of a printer there at all. After
    repeating several times I discovered dozy Windows thinks my printer is a
    'USB mass storage device'

    That's not protecting me from myself that's just plain crap.

    Cheers

    Ian

  20. Re: Capture An Audio Stream In Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:04:48 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> And you think Windoze is so smart? Today a plugged a USB memory stick
    >>> into a windows PC - a screen comes up to say new hardware drtected then
    >>> it disappears. It gives no clue what drive this device is or a means to
    >>> access. Plugging the same stick into my Ubuntu PC and far more quickly
    >>> that the Windoze one, it detects it and opens a file browser showing the
    >>> contents of the device.

    >> Doesn;t work like that on my machines.
    >> A box opens up and asks what you want to do based open the types of files
    >> on the device. Or you can select the view files/folder selection as well.
    >>
    >> Sounds like someone somewhere along the line checked the box that says
    >> "Always use this Option" and then selected "Do Nothing"...
    >> Subsequently you won't see any dialog box when you plug the device in.
    >>
    >> Looks like pilot error to me.

    > No it is a stock install, completely unaltered.
    >

    >>> Later I was using a USB printer on the windows PC, its the default
    >>> printer for that system but is not always plugged in. Plug it in an
    >>> power on the printer and Windoze is mute - fair enough. Print a document
    >>> from another app and all well and good the printer is there in the drop
    >>> down menu and works. So now I want to unplug it or turn it off - do
    >>> either of these and Windoze moans about 'unsafe disconnection' of a
    >>> device. How pathetic is that - Ubuntu handles connection and
    >>> disconnection of USB printers transparently and simply lists the
    >>> printers it knows about and their status - including if they are not
    >>> connected.

    >> Duhhh...It's protecting you from yourself.
    >>

    > You reckon, so how do I unplug a USB printer? - USB is meant to hot plug
    > you know or can't Windoze do that yet.
    >

    > I tried the test again but this time check the 'safely unplug hardware'
    > tray thingy before doing it. No mention of a printer there at all. After
    > repeating several times I discovered dozy Windows thinks my printer is a
    > 'USB mass storage device'
    >
    > That's not protecting me from myself that's just plain crap.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    It sounds like you don't know what you are doing.
    Sorry.