Re: [News] Ottawa Linux Symposium Concludes, LinuxWorld Begins Next Week - Ubuntu

  1. Re: [News] Ottawa Linux Symposium Concludes, LinuxWorld Begins Next Week

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:25:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > OLS 2008 wrap-up
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Day 3 of this year's Ottawa Linux Symposium featured a number of sessions,
    >| most notably a keynote address by

    Check out some of the links....
    What a mess!

    Notice that there are no pics of the event..
    Not that I could find anyway.

    So how many people attended?

    They seem to have avoided that little tidbit as well....

    Looks like a huge floperoo to me....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Ottawa Linux Symposium Concludes, LinuxWorld Begins Next Week

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:25:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> OLS 2008 wrap-up
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Day 3 of this year's Ottawa Linux Symposium featured a number of
    >>| sessions, most notably a keynote address by

    > Check out some of the links....
    > What a mess!
    >
    > Notice that there are no pics of the event..
    > Not that I could find anyway.
    >
    > So how many people attended?
    >
    > They seem to have avoided that little tidbit as well....
    >
    > Looks like a huge floperoo to me....

    I would have attended if I'd known about it. There wasn't a word. Best
    kept secret going, I guess.
    ... Which Ottawa? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  3. Re: [News] Ottawa Linux Symposium Concludes, LinuxWorld Begins Next Week

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:49:51 -0400
    <1hpi16qs0cgy3$.1ehp2c41c1vjw$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:25:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> OLS 2008 wrap-up
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Day 3 of this year's Ottawa Linux Symposium featured a number of sessions,
    >>| most notably a keynote address by

    > Check out some of the links....
    > What a mess!

    Are you referring to http://www.linux.com/feature/142950
    or to http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2008/ ?

    The latter does have some minor style problems; I'll admit I
    wonder where the flaw is. Click on "call for papers", then
    "schedule", for example, and note the left shift of the
    control bar.

    The internal implementation is using embedded style sheets.
    Naughty. They should be using . However, that's
    about as relevant to a car's performance as a scratch on
    the upholstery.

    > Notice that there are no pics of the event..
    > Not that I could find anyway.

    Then you didn't look all that hard, although Google Images
    apparently doesn't either. I did find one picture (two
    copies!) of a man standing in front of a whiteboard, and
    another of a sign (www.engsoc.org). However, the rest
    are a very mixed bag -- and in fact one of the images is
    from Singapore, showing a near-shadow in front of a green
    screen with a presentation. (The words are readable;
    the title is "Symposium Themes".)

    The second page of search results is even weirder, though one
    might excuse the microchip as a seminar announmcent. Wrong
    seminar, but that's a detail.

    Third page shows a fairly attractive blonde young lady
    with glasses -- apparently she's "Katie", a blogger at
    http://bokunenjin.livejournal.com/tag/ols, who blogged
    about the event -- in some detail, though no pictures.

    A man in a pink hat (I have *no* idea) points to a Flickr
    image set; apparently this particular individual has a
    predilection for brightly colored headwear. I have no idea
    how this relates to the Symposium.

    Go fig.

    > So how many people attended?

    It would appear attendance is limited to 500 people,
    as of 2002. However, the website states little as to
    whether they've changed that.

    The schedule suggests it could support maybe 1000, but
    that's just a guess, and Keynote: "The Kernel Report" by
    Matthew Wilcox is blocked out for an hour on *all* seminar
    rooms, which suggests an auditorium setting. This of
    course limits attendance to the size of the auditorium.

    > They seem to have avoided that little tidbit as well....

    Yes, they did.

    > Looks like a huge floperoo to me....

    It probably served its purpose.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net