OT: connection speeds confusion - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT: connection speeds confusion - Ubuntu ; Sorry for this - but since I'm using Ubuntu to connect, maybe it isn't *completely* OT... I'm using a 3G/UMTS phone to connect my PC to the internet - what they call "mobile broadband" round here. When I'm downloading files ...

  1. OT: connection speeds confusion

    Sorry for this - but since I'm using Ubuntu to connect, maybe it isn't
    *completely* OT...

    I'm using a 3G/UMTS phone to connect my PC to the internet - what they
    call "mobile broadband" round here. When I'm downloading files n stuff,
    Firefox generally reports the download speed as 40-50 KB/sec.

    Now, I did the Broadband Speedtest at http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/
    speedtest/ a few times. That repeatedly said the connection speed was
    2000-3000 KBPS - which it compares to "2 MB DSL/Cable".

    Now, is this speed test pure bull? Is Firefox fibbing?

    The way I see it, even if ZDNet means "kilobits per second" and Firefox
    means kilobytes... the ZDNet result of 2000 kilobits per sec is 250
    kilobytes per sec... right?

    Or have I got this screwed up somewhere?

  2. Re: OT: connection speeds confusion

    Firey Bird wrote:
    > Sorry for this - but since I'm using Ubuntu to connect, maybe it isn't
    > *completely* OT...

    > I'm using a 3G/UMTS phone to connect my PC to the internet - what they
    > call "mobile broadband" round here. When I'm downloading files n stuff,
    > Firefox generally reports the download speed as 40-50 KB/sec.

    That speed also depends on the remote server's connection speed.

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: OT: connection speeds confusion

    Firey Bird wrote:

    > Sorry for this - but since I'm using Ubuntu to connect, maybe it
    > isn't *completely* OT...
    >
    > I'm using a 3G/UMTS phone to connect my PC to the internet - what
    > they
    > call "mobile broadband" round here. When I'm downloading files n
    > stuff, Firefox generally reports the download speed as 40-50 KB/sec.
    >
    > Now, I did the Broadband Speedtest at http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/
    > speedtest/ a few times. That repeatedly said the connection speed
    > was 2000-3000 KBPS - which it compares to "2 MB DSL/Cable".
    >
    > Now, is this speed test pure bull? Is Firefox fibbing?
    >
    > The way I see it, even if ZDNet means "kilobits per second" and
    > Firefox means kilobytes... the ZDNet result of 2000 kilobits per sec
    > is 250 kilobytes per sec... right?
    >
    > Or have I got this screwed up somewhere?

    I never did have ZDnet speed test report as accurately as the larger
    multi-location speed tests you perform from:
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
    Think they have separate mobile or cell phone speed testing too.

    --
    Patrick...
    Latitude: 40.48*

+ Reply to Thread