ppd file for MP610 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ppd file for MP610 - Ubuntu ; I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd /etc/cups/ppd: -rw-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1349 2008-07-22 17:00 MP610_series.ppd // just a few days ago The first window ...

  1. ppd file for MP610

    I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first
    time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd

    /etc/cups/ppd:
    -rw-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1349 2008-07-22 17:00 MP610_series.ppd
    //
    just a few days ago

    The first window which popped up offered to print a test page.
    That test page print failed with the message that a ppd file was
    necessary.

    Question 1: what is /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd (chopped liver?)

    When I run System > Administration > Printing and look for the
    screen to load the ppd, it will not accept *.tar.gz.

    I downloaded ppdMP610en-1.1.tar.gz in hopes of providing a ppd
    file for my canon 610 printer. My os is currently ubuntu 7.10.

    Question 1: I think tar files are built with limited knowledge
    where to un-wind themselves. Is that true?

    Question 3: If tar files know to un-wind themselves beginning
    at their current location, how can I tell where to place my tar
    file before un-winding it?

    Question 4: Can a tar file be queried before un-winding it?

    Question 5: If ppcMP610en-1.1.tar.gz is un-tarred in the wrong
    place, what is the easiest way to remove the damamge? If I create
    a temporary file and unwind the tar file there, it should be
    easy to simply delete that temporary file (if I do not like it).

    Thank you,
    Charles

  2. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first
    > time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    > /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd
    >
    > /etc/cups/ppd:
    > -rw-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1349 2008-07-22 17:00 MP610_series.ppd
    > //
    > just a few days ago
    >
    > The first window which popped up offered to print a test page.
    > That test page print failed with the message that a ppd file was
    > necessary.
    >
    > Question 1: what is /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd (chopped liver?)
    >
    > When I run System > Administration > Printing and look for the
    > screen to load the ppd, it will not accept *.tar.gz.
    >
    > I downloaded ppdMP610en-1.1.tar.gz in hopes of providing a ppd
    > file for my canon 610 printer. My os is currently ubuntu 7.10.
    >
    > Question 1: I think tar files are built with limited knowledge
    > where to un-wind themselves. Is that true?
    >
    > Question 3: If tar files know to un-wind themselves beginning
    > at their current location, how can I tell where to place my tar
    > file before un-winding it?
    >
    > Question 4: Can a tar file be queried before un-winding it?
    >
    > Question 5: If ppcMP610en-1.1.tar.gz is un-tarred in the wrong
    > place, what is the easiest way to remove the damamge? If I create
    > a temporary file and unwind the tar file there, it should be
    > easy to simply delete that temporary file (if I do not like it).
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Charles

    I answered some of my own questions. I created a temporary directory
    and ran tar xvf ppdMP610en-1.1.tar.gz.
    This created canonmp610en.ppd, cifmp610.conf, and README.
    I have read the README file and I might be back with more questions.
    Thank you for reading all this.
    Charles

  3. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first
    > time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    > /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd

    That seems good :-)

    > The first window which popped up offered to print a test page.
    > That test page print failed with the message that a ppd file was
    > necessary.

    Rats.

    > Question 1: what is /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd (chopped liver?)

    There's a blogsite named mp610.blogspot.com -- it looks like a good idea
    http://mp610.blogspot.com/ Canon Pixma MP600 and MP610 and many other
    all-in-ones on Linux -- Tutorial and tools for Canon Pixma all-in-ones:
    MP600, MP610 printer and scanner, and also MP970, MP520, MP470, MP220,
    MP210, MP140, MX700, MX310, MX300, and ImageClass scanner backend for SANE
    / Linux ...

    > I downloaded ppdMP610en-1.1.tar.gz in hopes of providing a ppd
    > file for my canon 610 printer. My os is currently ubuntu 7.10.

    Here's where I see your file.

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=210977 Pixma
    MP600/MP610 PPDs & scanner driver - > http://snipr.com/367rq - 2 of them there, 2 different sizes, same name>

    > Question 1: I think tar files are built with limited knowledge
    > where to un-wind themselves. Is that true?

    a .tar file is something used to collate/collect a bunch of files into one
    larger file (uncompressed); whereas a .gz/gzipped file is the result of a
    compression algo typically used on tarballs.

    If I'm understanding what you were trying to say, I think it is true
    (where to unwind, so to speak).

    > Question 3: If tar files know to un-wind themselves beginning
    > at their current location, how can I tell where to place my tar
    > file before un-winding it?

    Do you mean with a commandline or some other how?

    > Question 4: Can a tar file be queried before un-winding it?

    Yes. :-)

    Do you like graphical tools or commandline tools? I'm kindofa graphical
    person.

    > Question 5: If ppcMP610en-1.1.tar.gz is un-tarred in the wrong
    > place, what is the easiest way to remove the damamge?

    There's no damage.

    > If I create
    > a temporary file and unwind the tar file there, it should be
    > easy to simply delete that temporary file (if I do not like it).

    Yes.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:

    > The first window which popped up offered to print a test page.
    > That test page print failed with the message that a ppd file was
    > necessary.

    BTW, at that point I think I would have logged out of the session and
    logged back in and tried the test page again.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first
    > time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    > /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd

    snip

    Charles,
    Deb (Ubuntu) files, with install instructions, are available for
    your printer.

    http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/se...-or-mp610.html

    --

    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very
    often they are the same thing"-Paul Theroux, in Milroy the Magician.

  6. Re: ppd file for MP610

    Bob wrote:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first
    >> time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    >> /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd

    > snip
    >
    > Charles,
    > Deb (Ubuntu) files, with install instructions, are available for your
    > printer.
    >
    > http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/se...-or-mp610.html

    step 1, click canon-asia
    (http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?...aio&country=SG)
    step 2, select from pull down menu "PIXMA MP610"
    step 3, select "Drivers & Software"
    step 4, click Next
    => error message
    Firefox can't find the server at alpha02.c-wss.com.
    I will keep trying but I am open for another suggestion.
    Thanks,
    Charles

  7. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:

    > Question 1: what is /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd (chopped liver?)

    Sounds like a cups-ppd file for mp610 series.

    > When I run System > Administration > Printing and look for the
    > screen to load the ppd, it will not accept *.tar.gz.

    > I downloaded ppdMP610en-1.1.tar.gz in hopes of providing a ppd
    > file for my canon 610 printer. My os is currently ubuntu 7.10.

    > Question 1: I think tar files are built with limited knowledge
    > where to un-wind themselves. Is that true?

    No. AFAIK the files in the archive are saved together with a relative
    path where they will go by default.

    > Question 3: If tar files know to un-wind themselves beginning
    > at their current location, how can I tell where to place my tar
    > file before un-winding it?

    The easy way is to move the tar file to the directory where you want
    it to be unwinded.

    Another way is to use tar's -C option. Like:

    tar -C /extract/here/path -xvvzf /tar/file/path/file.tar.gz

    > Question 4: Can a tar file be queried before un-winding it?

    Sure:
    tar -tvvf tarfile.tar.gz

    > Question 5: If ppcMP610en-1.1.tar.gz is un-tarred in the wrong
    > place, what is the easiest way to remove the damamge?

    Make sure you don't untar it in the wrong place. Don't be root when
    you untar it.

    > If I create
    > a temporary file and unwind the tar file there, it should be
    > easy to simply delete that temporary file (if I do not like it).

    Generally speaking, if you untar something the files might go
    anywhere in the writeable part of the filesystem. Often they go into
    a folder in the current directory, though.

    Hope this helps,
    Niklaus

  8. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:

    > I answered some of my own questions. I created a temporary directory
    > and ran tar xvf ppdMP610en-1.1.tar.gz.
    > This created canonmp610en.ppd, cifmp610.conf, and README.
    > I have read the README file and I might be back with more questions.
    > Thank you for reading all this.

    Try to feed the ppd file to your printer administration utility or to
    CUPS at http://localhost:631 .

    --
    Niklaus

  9. Re: ppd file for MP610

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first
    >>> time I plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    >>> /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Charles,
    >> Deb (Ubuntu) files, with install instructions, are available for your
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/se...-or-mp610.html
    >>

    > step 1, click canon-asia
    > (http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?...aio&country=SG)
    >
    > step 2, select from pull down menu "PIXMA MP610"
    > step 3, select "Drivers & Software"
    > step 4, click Next
    > => error message
    > Firefox can't find the server at alpha02.c-wss.com.
    > I will keep trying but I am open for another suggestion.
    > Thanks,
    > Charles

    Charles, there are downloadable .deb files here that should work with
    the blogspot instructions:-

    http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...478.asp?model=

    I didn't check it out, but seems Canon also have instructions linked
    from the above URL

    FWIW, there's a few .MP600 amongst the files here
    ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

    I doubt Canon are the only organization with divisions that are *too*
    autonomous.

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very
    often they are the same thing"-Paul Theroux, in Milroy the Magician.

  10. Re: ppd file for MP610

    In <488e506b$0$16178$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch> Niklaus Kuehnis:

    [Snip...]

    > tar -tvvf tarfile.tar.gz

    ^

    ITYM-----------z

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  11. Re: ppd file for MP610

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In <488e506b$0$16178$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch> Niklaus Kuehnis:

    > [Snip...]

    > > tar -tvvf tarfile.tar.gz

    > ^
    > |
    > ITYM-----------z

    No, works without the -z, at least in Hardy's tar version.

    --
    Niklaus

  12. Re: ppd file for MP610

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:09:21 -0500, charles cashion wrote:

    > Bob wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> I recently purchased a canon MP610 (pixma?) printer. The first time I
    >>> plugged the MP610 into a USB port, something created
    >>> /etc/cups/ppd/MP610_series.ppd

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Charles,
    >> Deb (Ubuntu) files, with install instructions, are available for your
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/se...-or-mp610.html
    >>

    > step 1, click canon-asia
    > (http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?

    fuseaction=support&prod_type=bj_aio&country=SG)
    > step 2, select from pull down menu "PIXMA MP610" step 3, select "Drivers
    > & Software"
    > step 4, click Next
    > => error message
    > Firefox can't find the server at alpha02.c-wss.com.
    > I will keep trying but I am open for another suggestion. Thanks,
    > Charles

    http://www.canon.com.au/products/all..._one_printers/
    mp600.aspx

    --