Out of frequency range - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Out of frequency range - Ubuntu ; I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even with monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to get rid of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and change this setting. System works ...

  1. Out of frequency range

    I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even with
    monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to get rid
    of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and change this
    setting.

    System works ok, just annoying.

    TIA

    Ken

  2. Re: Out of frequency range

    On 2008-07-27, Ken hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even with
    > monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to get rid
    > of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and change this
    > setting.

    Horizontal and Vertical Refresh rates that is meant here.

    For example you get a new monitor but a flat panel. It will have
    refresh rates something like
    Hz 31-80kHz
    Vt 60-75

    Now if you had a monitor that had/used much higher values then these
    above you'll get this error out of range.

    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder62) Mon May 19 00:29:52 PDT 2008

    look at the the /etc/X11/xorg.con file (you need to use sudo or be
    root to make any changes) if the values are too high. The manual
    for the Monitor will tell you.

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Iiyama AS4637"
    HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
    VertRefresh 56.0 - 85.0 # <- in my case it should only be 75.
    Option "DPMS" # but I haven seen any problems at
    # this, so I'll just leave it.
    EndSection

    > System works ok, just annoying.

    It could damage the monitor though. so it's better if you fix it.

    > TIA
    >
    > Ken

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: Out of frequency range

    Moog wrote in

    > Ken illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even
    >> with monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to
    >> get rid of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and
    >> change this setting.
    >>
    >> System works ok, just annoying.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > It's warning about your monitor.
    >
    > To resolve it, we need to know which monitor (make and model) you
    > are using, or which laptop?

    Compaq CV535. Tube type monitor.

    Ah, I see now my Out of Frequency Range warning is coming from the
    monitor, not Ubuntu. Doesn't do it running Windows XP Home - that's why I
    thought it was Linux. I'll have to read the monitor manual I guess.

    > The reason it's happening?.....
    > Bacially, Xorg queries the monitor to give it it's horizontal and
    > vertical frequencies. If this probe comes back without a response,
    > then your xserver takes a "best guess". This guess is not correct (no
    > fault of xorg really, as it isn't getting back from the hardware the
    > response it requests) so you'll need to manually input them into
    > your xorg.conf file.
    >
    > Anyway, supply the requested info and I'll try to help.

  4. Re: Out of frequency range

    Ken illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote in
    >
    >> Ken illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even
    >>> with monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to
    >>> get rid of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and
    >>> change this setting.
    >>>
    >>> System works ok, just annoying.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> It's warning about your monitor.
    >>
    >> To resolve it, we need to know which monitor (make and model) you
    >> are using, or which laptop?
    >>

    > Compaq CV535. Tube type monitor.
    >
    > Ah, I see now my Out of Frequency Range warning is coming from the
    > monitor, not Ubuntu. Doesn't do it running Windows XP Home - that's why I
    > thought it was Linux. I'll have to read the monitor manual I guess.

    I cannot find any frequency ranges from a quick google.

    However, I've found a ubuntu user called juicemansam who has got full
    resolution from his CV535 monitor.

    Perhaps a kindly worded private message from the ubuntu forums would
    get you the relevant info

    Good luck Ken.

    --
    "I was at a bar nursing a beer. My nipple was getting quite soggy." ~
    Emo Philips

  5. Re: Out of frequency range

    Ken wrote:
    > I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even with
    > monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to get rid
    > of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and change this
    > setting.
    >
    > System works ok, just annoying.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken

    Turn down the refresh rate. Try 60Hz.

  6. Re: Out of frequency range

    Cork Soaker wrote in

    > Ken wrote:
    >> I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even
    >> with monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to
    >> get rid of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and
    >> change this setting.
    >>
    >> System works ok, just annoying.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Turn down the refresh rate. Try 60Hz.

    The resolution is set with Preferences->Screen Resolution to 800x600 at 60
    Hz. The monitor manual says it can be 85, 75 or 60 at 600x800. I still get
    the Out of Frequency Range warning from the monitor. I'm concerned I may
    damage the monitor. See also my responses to Moog and Dragomir.

    Ken

  7. Re: Out of frequency range

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote in

    > On 2008-07-27, Ken hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >> I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even
    >> with monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to
    >> get rid of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and
    >> change this setting.

    > Horizontal and Vertical Refresh rates that is meant here.
    >
    > For example you get a new monitor but a flat panel. It will have
    > refresh rates something like
    > Hz 31-80kHz
    > Vt 60-75
    >
    > Now if you had a monitor that had/used much higher values then these
    > above you'll get this error out of range.
    >

    > # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    > # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder62) Mon May 19
    > 00:29:52 PDT 2008
    >
    > look at the the /etc/X11/xorg.con file (you need to use sudo or be
    > root to make any changes) if the values are too high. The manual
    > for the Monitor will tell you.
    >

    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor0"
    > VendorName "Unknown"
    > ModelName "Iiyama AS4637"
    > HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
    > VertRefresh 56.0 - 85.0 # <- in my case it should only be 75.
    > Option "DPMS" # but I haven seen any problems at
    > # this, so I'll just leave it.
    > EndSection

    Mine says

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "COMPAQ CV535"
    Option "DPMS"
    Endsection

    No HorizSync or VertRefresh entries.

    Can't find these in a GUI set-up anywhere in my menus. Preferences->
    Screen Resolution says 800x600 at 60 hz. Monitor manual says this is
    acceptable - can be 85, 75 or 60 Hz.

    My Compaq CV535 monitor manual says Horizontal Frequency 30 kHz - 54 kHz
    and Vertical Frequency 50 Hz - 120 Hz. Is Horizontal Frequency the same
    as HorizSync and Vertical Frequency the same as VertRefresh? I rashly
    assume so. What if I add my monitor specs to the xorg.con file as in your
    example? I'm reluctant but also worried about damaging the monitor - I
    can't afford a new one.

    This is in Ubuntu 7.10.

    >> System works ok, just annoying.

    > It could damage the monitor though. so it's better if you fix it.
    >

    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Dragomir Kollaric

  8. Re: Out of frequency range

    Moog wrote in

    > Ken illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote in
    >>
    >>> Ken illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It's warning about your monitor.
    >>>
    >>> To resolve it, we need to know which monitor (make and model) you
    >>> are using, or which laptop?
    >>>

    >> Compaq CV535. Tube type monitor.
    >>
    >> Ah, I see now my Out of Frequency Range warning is coming from the
    >> monitor, not Ubuntu. Doesn't do it running Windows XP Home - that's
    >> why I thought it was Linux. I'll have to read the monitor manual I
    >> guess.

    > I cannot find any frequency ranges from a quick google.

    See my message to Dragomir for monitor manual frequencies.

    > However, I've found a ubuntu user called juicemansam who has got full
    > resolution from his CV535 monitor.
    >
    > Perhaps a kindly worded private message from the ubuntu forums would
    > get you the relevant info
    >
    > Good luck Ken.

  9. Re: Out of frequency range

    On 2008-07-30, Ken hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote in
    >
    >> On 2008-07-27, Ken hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I keep getting this colorful warning when starting the system, even
    >>> with monitor resolution set to 800x600 or 640x480. What must I do to
    >>> get rid of this? I use Preferences->Screen Resolution to check and
    >>> change this setting.

    >> Horizontal and Vertical Refresh rates that is meant here.
    >>
    >> For example you get a new monitor but a flat panel. It will have
    >> refresh rates something like
    >> Hz 31-80kHz
    >> Vt 60-75
    >>
    >> Now if you had a monitor that had/used much higher values then these
    >> above you'll get this error out of range.
    >>

    >> # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    >> # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder62) Mon May 19
    >> 00:29:52 PDT 2008
    >>
    >> look at the the /etc/X11/xorg.con file (you need to use sudo or be
    >> root to make any changes) if the values are too high. The manual
    >> for the Monitor will tell you.
    >>

    >> Section "Monitor"
    >> Identifier "Monitor0"
    >> VendorName "Unknown"
    >> ModelName "Iiyama AS4637"
    >> HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
    >> VertRefresh 56.0 - 85.0 # <- in my case it should only be 75.
    >> Option "DPMS" # but I haven seen any problems at
    >> # this, so I'll just leave it.
    >> EndSection

    > Mine says
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "COMPAQ CV535"
    > Option "DPMS"
    > Endsection
    >
    > No HorizSync or VertRefresh entries.
    >
    > Can't find these in a GUI set-up anywhere in my menus. Preferences->
    > Screen Resolution says 800x600 at 60 hz. Monitor manual says this is
    > acceptable - can be 85, 75 or 60 Hz.
    >
    > My Compaq CV535 monitor manual says Horizontal Frequency 30 kHz - 54 kHz
    > and Vertical Frequency 50 Hz - 120 Hz. Is Horizontal Frequency the same
    > as HorizSync and Vertical Frequency the same as VertRefresh? I rashly
    > assume so. What if I add my monitor specs to the xorg.con file as in your
    > example? I'm reluctant but also worried about damaging the monitor - I
    > can't afford a new one.

    You can add the values in by hand, I used to have my old Monitor
    running for some time below its specifications.

    Try it, and use some lower values see if this changes.

    > This is in Ubuntu 7.10.

    Hmm in this case "dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver.xorg" still
    works. On a 8.04.1 I simply renamed xorg.conf and then
    started the PC anew. A new file was generated. How is it
    when you run a Live-CD? Do you get the same error? If not.
    and no other solution will work, you could save the file to
    the Ubuntu install. Let me know if you want to go this route
    and need more instructions...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  10. Re: Out of frequency range

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote in

    > On 2008-07-30, Ken hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote in

    >>> Horizontal and Vertical Refresh rates that is meant here.
    >>>
    >>> For example you get a new monitor but a flat panel. It will have
    >>> refresh rates something like
    >>> Hz 31-80kHz
    >>> Vt 60-75
    >>>
    >>> Now if you had a monitor that had/used much higher values then these
    >>> above you'll get this error out of range.
    >>>

    >>> # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    >>> # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder62) Mon May 19
    >>> 00:29:52 PDT 2008
    >>>
    >>> look at the the /etc/X11/xorg.con file (you need to use sudo or be
    >>> root to make any changes) if the values are too high. The manual
    >>> for the Monitor will tell you.
    >>>

    >>> Section "Monitor"
    >>> Identifier "Monitor0"
    >>> VendorName "Unknown"
    >>> ModelName "Iiyama AS4637"
    >>> HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
    >>> VertRefresh 56.0 - 85.0 # <- in my case it should only be
    >>> 75. Option "DPMS" # but I haven seen any problems at
    >>> # this, so I'll just leave it.
    >>> EndSection

    >> Mine says
    >>
    >> Section "Monitor"
    >> Identifier "COMPAQ CV535"
    >> Option "DPMS"
    >> Endsection
    >>
    >> No HorizSync or VertRefresh entries.
    >>
    >> Can't find these in a GUI set-up anywhere in my menus. Preferences->
    >> Screen Resolution says 800x600 at 60 hz. Monitor manual says this is
    >> acceptable - can be 85, 75 or 60 Hz.
    >>
    >> My Compaq CV535 monitor manual says Horizontal Frequency 30 kHz - 54
    >> kHz and Vertical Frequency 50 Hz - 120 Hz. Is Horizontal Frequency
    >> the same as HorizSync and Vertical Frequency the same as VertRefresh?
    >> I rashly assume so. What if I add my monitor specs to the xorg.con
    >> file as in your example? I'm reluctant but also worried about
    >> damaging the monitor - I can't afford a new one.

    > You can add the values in by hand, I used to have my old Monitor
    > running for some time below its specifications.
    >
    > Try it, and use some lower values see if this changes.
    >

    >> This is in Ubuntu 7.10.

    > Hmm in this case "dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver.xorg" still

    What is the -plow argument? I tried Google and looked at some dpkg-
    reconfigure stuff but don't see this. I've never had occasion to use this
    command. I'm just starting out in Ubuntu.

    > works. On a 8.04.1 I simply renamed xorg.conf and then
    > started the PC anew. A new file was generated. How is it
    > when you run a Live-CD? Do you get the same error? If not.
    > and no other solution will work, you could save the file to
    > the Ubuntu install. Let me know if you want to go this route
    > and need more instructions...
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

  11. Re: Out of frequency range

    On 2008-07-30, Ken hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >>> This is in Ubuntu 7.10.

    >> Hmm in this case "dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver.xorg" still

    > What is the -plow argument? I tried Google and looked at some dpkg-
    > reconfigure stuff but don't see this. I've never had occasion to use this
    > command. I'm just starting out in Ubuntu.

    It means the *lower* stuff to configure in xorg.conf.
    It will give the option to select a keyboard, mouse, and then the
    graphic card as well as the monitor. All this changed with the
    8.04 version so it seems. You could also try -phigh.

    Dragomir Kollaric