Modem in 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Modem in 7.10 - Ubuntu ; There is a double monitor symbol near the right end of my top panel. This does not turn my modem on or off, though it has the commands to do so. But if I have the modem on when booting ...

  1. Modem in 7.10

    There is a double monitor symbol near the right end of my top panel. This
    does not turn my modem on or off, though it has the commands to do so.
    But if I have the modem on when booting it seems to log on - at least I
    can here the dialing, data, etc. I can't find any way to see if I am
    really on line - no modem data. I have the Modem Monitor in the top panel
    but it doesn't work - says it can't get connection time. I can't figure
    out a way to monitor my modem connection or to log on line except by
    booting.

    Help!

    TIA.

    Ken

  2. Re: Modem in 7.10

    Disclaimer: I have no linux/ub dialup experience

    Ken wrote:
    > There is a double monitor symbol near the right end of my top panel.

    That is nm-applet...

    > This does not turn my modem on or off, though it has the commands to do
    > so. But if I have the modem on when booting it seems to log on - at
    > least I can here the dialing, data, etc.

    There have been a number of discussions about how little nm-applet does
    for the dialup connection. Here're two

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...plet/+bug/2200
    07 nm-applet doesn't handle ppp connections properly ...

    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8459/ Ubuntu brainstorm - Add more
    sophisticated tools to nm for dial-up

    > can't figure out a way to monitor my modem connection or to log on line
    > except by booting.

    There's a discussion in the ub forums about Dialup Connection Monitor

    ... which mentions gnome-ppp & gkrellm. Gnome-ppp is in the repos.

    The ub dialup howto mentions gnome-ppp, the graphical frontend for wvdial.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

    The gnomefiles page for gnome-ppp explains some and shows screenshots
    http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=41

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Modem in 7.10

    "Mike Easter" wrote in
    news:Z9udncXarLjXTxHVnZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@earthlink.co m:

    > Disclaimer: I have no linux/ub dialup experience
    >
    > Ken wrote:
    >> There is a double monitor symbol near the right end of my top panel.

    > That is nm-applet...
    >
    >> This does not turn my modem on or off, though it has the commands to
    >> do so. But if I have the modem on when booting it seems to log on -
    >> at least I can here the dialing, data, etc.

    BTW, I forgot to mention that these worked after I first installed Ubuntu
    and set up the modem. But no more now that I need them. I'll read the info
    you linked to as soon as I can - probably Tuesday evening.

    > There have been a number of discussions about how little nm-applet
    > does for the dialup connection. Here're two
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...-applet/+bug/2
    > 200 07 nm-applet doesn't handle ppp connections properly ...
    >
    > http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8459/ Ubuntu brainstorm - Add more
    > sophisticated tools to nm for dial-up

    >> can't figure out a way to monitor my modem connection or to log on
    >> line except by booting.

    > There's a discussion in the ub forums about Dialup Connection Monitor
    >
    > .. which mentions gnome-ppp & gkrellm. Gnome-ppp is in the repos.

    I seem to remember this on one of my menus, but no longer. I didn't change
    anything I know of. Annoying. I wish I understood why these things happen.
    I'll read the links you supply.

    > The ub dialup howto mentions gnome-ppp, the graphical frontend for
    > wvdial. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto
    >
    > The gnomefiles page for gnome-ppp explains some and shows screenshots
    > http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=41
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Ken

  4. Re: Modem in 7.10

    "Mike Easter" wrote in
    news:Z9udncXarLjXTxHVnZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@earthlink.co m:

    > Disclaimer: I have no linux/ub dialup experience
    >
    > Ken wrote:
    >> There is a double monitor symbol near the right end of my top panel.

    > That is nm-applet...
    >
    >> This does not turn my modem on or off, though it has the commands to
    >> do so. But if I have the modem on when booting it seems to log on -
    >> at least I can here the dialing, data, etc.

    > There have been a number of discussions about how little nm-applet
    > does for the dialup connection. Here're two
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...-applet/+bug/2
    > 200 07 nm-applet doesn't handle ppp connections properly ...
    >
    > http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8459/ Ubuntu brainstorm - Add more
    > sophisticated tools to nm for dial-up

    >> can't figure out a way to monitor my modem connection or to log on
    >> line except by booting.

    > There's a discussion in the ub forums about Dialup Connection Monitor
    >
    > .. which mentions gnome-ppp & gkrellm. Gnome-ppp is in the repos.

    I tried gnome-ppp. Doesn't work. I have everything filled in but nothing
    happens when I click the Connect button. Doesn't even try to dial.

    Ubuntu still dials up the internet when I log into Ubuntu without asking.
    Gnome-ppp shows no info when this happens - evidently it's unaware.
    The nm-applet will disconnect. No indication anywhere that I'm on-line,
    connect speed, etc. nm will dial me back onto the net if I use it to
    disconnect. If I could just get rid of Ubuntu dialing up when logging in I
    might be in better shape.

    I'm about ready to give up on Linux. This and other problems are very
    frustrating. I'm not blaming you or others here - few use modems any more
    but I have no choice.

    > The ub dialup howto mentions gnome-ppp, the graphical frontend for
    > wvdial. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto
    >
    > The gnomefiles page for gnome-ppp explains some and shows screenshots
    > http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=41
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

  5. Re: Modem in 7.10

    On 2008-07-27, Mike Easter wrote:
    > Disclaimer: I have no linux/ub dialup experience
    >
    > Ken wrote:
    >> There is a double monitor symbol near the right end of my top panel.

    > That is nm-applet...
    >
    >> This does not turn my modem on or off, though it has the commands to do
    >> so. But if I have the modem on when booting it seems to log on - at
    >> least I can here the dialing, data, etc.

    > There have been a number of discussions about how little nm-applet does
    > for the dialup connection. Here're two
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...plet/+bug/2200
    > 07 nm-applet doesn't handle ppp connections properly ...
    >
    > http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8459/ Ubuntu brainstorm - Add more
    > sophisticated tools to nm for dial-up

    >> can't figure out a way to monitor my modem connection or to log on line
    >> except by booting.

    > There's a discussion in the ub forums about Dialup Connection Monitor
    >
    > .. which mentions gnome-ppp & gkrellm. Gnome-ppp is in the repos.
    >
    > The ub dialup howto mentions gnome-ppp, the graphical frontend for wvdial.
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto
    >
    > The gnomefiles page for gnome-ppp explains some and shows screenshots
    > http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=41

    Hi. I use pppd (for my Sierra "wireless broadband" card).

    NetworkManager, unfortunately, does not support ppp very well. (this
    is to put it mildly) For example, my PPP connection involves NO
    password, but Network Manager insists on me supplying the password
    (and does not start a proper PPP session).

    It also incorrectly reports system status as "offline" when the laptop
    is, in fact, online.

    There is a "bug from hell" on Launchpad

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/191889

    The bug is clearly in NetworkManager and not in Firefox, gaim,
    evolution etc.

    I cannot fully uninstall NetworkManager since I need it for wifi and
    for ethernet when I am not on PPP.

    So my own answer to this is to always kill NetworkManager before
    launching pppd, and revive it after ending pppd. This works great and
    addresses the shortcoming of NetworkManager by killig it when
    appropriate.

    I do not use any tools to start pppd and simply start it directly.

    My ppp script is:

    killall NetworkManager
    pppd SierraWirelessBroadband
    /usr/sbin/NetworkManager

    There are plenty of tools to run pppd such as wvdial and so on.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread