Newbie taking the plunge - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie taking the plunge - Ubuntu ; Steve Barker DLT wrote: > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play > around with > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any > reason it > shouldn't work on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

  1. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play
    > around with
    > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    > reason it
    > shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to
    > start
    > off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    Just d/l Mandriva Live-One CD [2008.1 Spring is latest] and find out
    if it boots OK [or not] without modifying anything on the hard drive,
    if things work OK click the install icon.
    --
    Patrick...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  2. Newbie taking the plunge

    Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    thanks

    steve

  3. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:15:34 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    > with Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    > reason it shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't
    > want to start off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be
    > finiky.

    You may have a problem with wireless networking. That DVD is a 'live'
    system that will not interfere in any way with your present set-up. You
    have nothing to lose by booting up from it (you may need to change the
    boot order in the BIOS) and running ubuntu from the DVD. That will answer
    all your hardware compatibility issues: it'll work (slowly) or it won't!
    Many people find that the ubuntu-derived linuxMint www.linuxmint.org
    'just works' with a wider range of hardware (and has a more windows-like
    look and feel) so that's something else to try if vanilla ubuntu doesn't
    float your boat.

  4. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    > shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    > off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    Which Toshiba laptop is it?
    I have Kubuntu 8.04 running on a Tecra M9 here, goes just fine, including
    wireless.

    The dvd should be live, so you can boot off it and see if things work ok.

    The Ubuntu forums are also good for help if you need any.
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

    HTH

    Peter

    -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to news@netfront.net --

  5. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT schreef:
    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    > shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    > off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    I used to have two satellites and now a Tecra S5, all work without issues.

  6. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    > shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    > off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    It may work or it may not. I would suggest that if you want to keep a
    Windows install, and you have $50 to burn, you buy a separate hard
    drive and put ubuntu there, without jeopardizing Windows.

    Most likely it will work.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Ignoramus24313 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2008-07-27, Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    >> Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    >> shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    >> off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    > It may work or it may not. I would suggest that if you want to keep a
    > Windows install, and you have $50 to burn, you buy a separate hard
    > drive and put ubuntu there, without jeopardizing Windows.

    A second HDD on a Laptop? Now this is going to be some fun.
    Unless you meant using a USB-HHD. In any case what's wrong
    with sticking the DVD in the Laptop and run the OS in RAM to
    see if its working.

    > Most likely it will work.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  8. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Patrick Phillips hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play
    >> around with
    >> Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    >> reason it
    >> shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to
    >> start
    >> off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> steve

    > Just d/l Mandriva Live-One CD [2008.1 Spring is latest] and find out

    He can do the same with any *Ubuntu versions as well and try them.

    I personally came to like *.deb* based distribution a lot more then
    *.rpm* based, used to have "Mandrake" as well, but liked Debian
    proper more.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  9. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-27, Ignoramus24313 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-27, Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >>> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    >>> Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    >>> shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    >>> off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    >> It may work or it may not. I would suggest that if you want to keep a
    >> Windows install, and you have $50 to burn, you buy a separate hard
    >> drive and put ubuntu there, without jeopardizing Windows.

    > A second HDD on a Laptop? Now this is going to be some fun.
    > Unless you meant using a USB-HHD. In any case what's wrong
    > with sticking the DVD in the Laptop and run the OS in RAM to
    > see if its working.

    I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    drive in and install linux on the new one.

    >> Most likely it will work.

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    > shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    > off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    Any good DOS user should have no problem with Linux... :P

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26

  11. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Ignoramus24313 schreef:
    > On 2008-07-27, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>> It may work or it may not. I would suggest that if you want to keep a
    >>> Windows install, and you have $50 to burn, you buy a separate hard
    >>> drive and put ubuntu there, without jeopardizing Windows.

    >> A second HDD on a Laptop? Now this is going to be some fun.
    >> Unless you meant using a USB-HHD. In any case what's wrong
    >> with sticking the DVD in the Laptop and run the OS in RAM to
    >> see if its working.

    > I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    > drive in and install linux on the new one.

    In a (old) laptop? That's not zo easy. Talking about a plunge...

    >>> Most likely it will work.

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:15:34 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    > with Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    > reason it shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't
    > want to start off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be
    > finiky.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    You should know shortly after you attempt to boot it. The Ubuntu CDs and
    DVDs start by booting as a Live CD. If everything works there, it will
    most likely work after installation.

  13. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    is the P35-s611

    i have to repair a small electrical problem with the laptop b4 i can try it.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    >> with
    >> Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    >> shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to
    >> start
    >> off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.

    > Which Toshiba laptop is it?
    > I have Kubuntu 8.04 running on a Tecra M9 here, goes just fine, including
    > wireless.
    >
    > The dvd should be live, so you can boot off it and see if things work ok.
    >
    > The Ubuntu forums are also good for help if you need any.
    > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to
    > news@netfront.net --

  14. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    It's a simple swap on this one. BUT, i've already replaced the laptop due
    to it's power port electrical issues. It will become a Ubuntu only machine.

    "Ro" wrote in message
    news:488c7fd9$0$10272$e4fe514c@dreader17.news.xs4a ll.nl...
    > Ignoramus24313 schreef:
    >>> A second HDD on a Laptop? Now this is going to be some fun.
    >>> Unless you meant using a USB-HHD. In any case what's wrong
    >>> with sticking the DVD in the Laptop and run the OS in RAM to
    >>> see if its working.

    >> I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    >> drive in and install linux on the new one.
    >>

    > In a (old) laptop? That's not zo easy. Talking about a plunge...

    >>> Dragomir Kollaric

  15. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    I got in in '91 and was a self taught DOS wizard. . I loved messing
    with it. I hated windows, but then , well you know , had to go the easy
    route.

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    > Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    >> with
    >> Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    >> shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to
    >> start
    >> off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.
    >>

    > Any good DOS user should have no problem with Linux... :P
    >
    > --
    > @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    > / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
    > /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
    > ^ ^ 21:47:01 up 1 day 5:56 3 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
    > (CSSA):
    > http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

  16. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:00:55 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > is the P35-s611

    in this newsgroup we post our replies at the bottom. Yes I know Micro$hit
    puts the cursor at the top, bit that's NO EXCUSE.

  17. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > in this newsgroup we post our replies at the bottom. Yes I know Micro$hit
    > puts the cursor at the top, bit that's NO EXCUSE.

    IMO it's fine if the cursor is at the top because you want to go
    through the post and remove unnecessary parts of the quotation. YMMV.

    --
    Niklaus

  18. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > is the P35-s611
    >
    > i have to repair a small electrical problem with the laptop b4 i can try it.

    I had a P series a couple of years ago hat ran perfectly.

    Only issue was with "suspend/hibernate". Google ACPI to see what
    causes it.

    --
    "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They
    left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that

  19. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Ignoramus24313 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-07-27, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It may work or it may not. I would suggest that if you want to keep a
    >>> Windows install, and you have $50 to burn, you buy a separate hard
    >>> drive and put ubuntu there, without jeopardizing Windows.

    >> A second HDD on a Laptop? Now this is going to be some fun.
    >> Unless you meant using a USB-HHD. In any case what's wrong
    >> with sticking the DVD in the Laptop and run the OS in RAM to
    >> see if its working.

    > I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    > drive in and install linux on the new one.

    Seriously. Why do you even bother offering up such ****eyed
    suggestions?

    You baffle me.

    --
    "He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs
    and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn~up for the books." ~

  20. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Patrick Phillips illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play
    >> around with
    >> Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    >> reason it
    >> shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to
    >> start
    >> off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> steve

    > Just d/l Mandriva Live-One CD [2008.1 Spring is latest] and find out
    > if it boots OK [or not] without modifying anything on the hard drive,
    > if things work OK click the install icon.

    "Mandriva"?

    In A Ubuntu newsgroup? Why on earth would the original poster want to
    do that. It was not what he was asking.

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast