Newbie taking the plunge - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie taking the plunge - Ubuntu ; In article , "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote: >Steve Barker DLT wrote: >> I got in in '91 and was a self taught DOS wizard. . I loved messing >> with it. I hated windows, but then , well you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 58 of 58

  1. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    In article <488d7594$0$90276$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:
    >Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >> I got in in '91 and was a self taught DOS wizard. . I loved messing
    >> with it. I hated windows, but then , well you know , had to go the easy
    >> route.

    >Point-and-click, icons, drag-and-drop... all are for babies or people
    >who don't understand English.

    Hint. Computers don't use Eenglish.
    Hell, neither do most "English speakers/writers" come to that.
    Computers (or as I think you are meaning here, parsers) use some specific
    grammar and vocabulary to let them understand what you think you are trying
    to get them to do.
    The broken bit in this system is almost always the wet ware sitting in front
    of the keyboard.

  2. Re: Newbie taking the plunge/ got install started

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:24:50 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
    >> news:fLGdnQJi8p81sxHVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    >>> with Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    >>> reason it shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't
    >>> want to start off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be
    >>> finiky.
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> steve
    >>>

    >> OK, i got the toshiba POS back together and running. Was going to do a
    >> side by side install. Booted from the dvd, but when we got to the
    >> partitioning part, the resize and use freed space was not offered as an
    >> option. I went ahead and used the entire disk, since all the windows
    >> data had been transferred to the new DELL anyway. Any ideas why I
    >> wasn't offered the option i expected to be offered?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> steve

    > Without knowing your exact configuration, no. Maybe ubuntu couldn't free
    > enough space to make a working install? IOW maybe your hard drive was too
    > small or too full to clear enough space to install ubuntu? Just a guess
    > on my part.

    I have come across a PC which could not be resized, even with parted.
    It went through all th emotions, then refused to complete, with an
    error. reading up a bit I saw some small print which suggested it was
    sometimes possible to get this, but i did not persue to find the
    ultimate answer. It sure was inconvenient at the time though.

    As an uninformed guess, if ther are non movable things scattered along
    the drive, I guess it cannot be resized much if at all?

    --
    ac

  3. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    > Hint. Computers don't use Eenglish.
    > Hell, neither do most "English speakers/writers" come to that.
    > Computers (or as I think you are meaning here, parsers)
    > use some specific grammar and vocabulary to let them
    > understand what you think you are trying
    > to get them to do.
    > The broken bit in this system is almost always the wet ware
    > sitting in front of the keyboard.

    1. Electronic computers are invented by English-speaking people.
    2. I have yet to see a non-English, high-level programming language.
    3. Most codes (inventory, employee, id, ...) use English alphabets

    If you wanna talk about icons, each English alphabet itself
    is an icon. So why bother to produce so many so many non-English
    icons when it's easier for a human being to learn English.

    The rules don't applies to names, though. I knew the limits. :P

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26

  4. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    * Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > 2. I have yet to see a non-English, high-level programming language.

    look harder

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fj%C3%B...mming_language
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapira
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagol_...ng_language%29
    http://hpl.sourceforge.net/
    http://arlogo.sourceforge.net/

    etc...

    --
    David

  5. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:

    >> Hint. Computers don't use Eenglish.
    >> Hell, neither do most "English speakers/writers" come to that.
    >> Computers (or as I think you are meaning here, parsers)
    >> use some specific grammar and vocabulary to let them
    >> understand what you think you are trying
    >> to get them to do.
    >> The broken bit in this system is almost always the wet ware
    >> sitting in front of the keyboard.

    > 1. Electronic computers are invented by English-speaking people.

    Konrad Zuse was German

    Florian

  6. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Patrick Phillips illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> No problem Patrick.
    >>
    >> While you're here...why not ditch Mandriva and run Ubuntu instead? You
    >> know it makes sense.
    >> ;-)

    > I do Kubuntu here and older PC with Xubuntu, then read both distro's NG
    > and probably why the confusion as who's NG I was in. :-)

    No worries. It's easily done. I once posted in here about
    English premiership football......would you believe?

    Your error is tame in comparison. ;-)

    --
    "I was in a bar the other night, hopping from barstool to barstool,
    trying to get lucky, but there wasn't any gum under any of them." ~ Emo

  7. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    In article <488ef94d$0$90276$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:
    >> Hint. Computers don't use Eenglish.
    >> Hell, neither do most "English speakers/writers" come to that.
    >> Computers (or as I think you are meaning here, parsers)
    >> use some specific grammar and vocabulary to let them
    >> understand what you think you are trying
    >> to get them to do.
    >> The broken bit in this system is almost always the wet ware
    >> sitting in front of the keyboard.

    >1. Electronic computers are invented by English-speaking people.
    >2. I have yet to see a non-English, high-level programming language.
    >3. Most codes (inventory, employee, id, ...) use English alphabets

    Irrelevant. The code is not english. Grammar is common to all languages and
    a programming language is merely a defined vocabulary (could be anything
    here and often was) with some grammar to allow interpretation.
    As we all know, programming languages (with the possible exception of cobol
    with it's silly variable names ) don't use much in the way of english
    words or contruction. There have been some attempts, none of which (to my
    knowledge) have come to much.

    Alphabet is a different question and there I'd have to agree. There is, of
    course, no reason why other alphabets cannot be used.

    >If you wanna talk about icons, each English alphabet itself
    >is an icon. So why bother to produce so many so many non-English
    >icons when it's easier for a human being to learn English.

    What do icons have to do with anything ?
    "each english alphabet" ? Sorry, I don't get it.

  8. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:29:28 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > No worries. It's easily done. I once posted in here about
    > English premiership football......would you believe?

    Was that the one where you stated that Chelsea are better than Liverpool?

    > Your error is tame in comparison. ;-)

    See? :-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  9. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Patrick Phillips illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> No problem Patrick.
    >>>
    >>> While you're here...why not ditch Mandriva and run Ubuntu instead? You
    >>> know it makes sense.
    >>> ;-)

    >> I do Kubuntu here and older PC with Xubuntu, then read both distro's NG
    >> and probably why the confusion as who's NG I was in. :-)

    > No worries. It's easily done. I once posted in here about
    > English premiership football......would you believe?

    Oh, you mean Soccer?

    --
    David

  10. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now.
    > steve

    Cool, Steve.

    Same here, only that I started a couple years ago with 6.04.

    I was a Dos 3.3 guy and was dragged kicking and screaming into
    having to use a stinkin mouse for my photos after many years
    of simply using my son's shell account to access Tin+Pico and
    rec.knives. (knife knut)

    Alvin in AZ
    ps- retired SP railroad signalape
    pps- where you at?

  11. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Paola, Kansas about 35 miles s sw of KC

    Just a rail fan, never an employee. but wouldn't have minded being one
    back in the day.

    wrote in message news:g6rnoi$ger$2@reader1.panix.com...
    > Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now.
    >> steve

    > Cool, Steve.
    >
    > Same here, only that I started a couple years ago with 6.04.
    >
    > I was a Dos 3.3 guy and was dragged kicking and screaming into
    > having to use a stinkin mouse for my photos after many years
    > of simply using my son's shell account to access Tin+Pico and
    > rec.knives. (knife knut)
    >
    > Alvin in AZ
    > ps- retired SP railroad signalape
    > pps- where you at?

  12. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > Paola, Kansas about 35 miles s sw of KC
    >
    > Just a rail fan, never an employee. but wouldn't have minded being one
    > back in the day.

    Hello, neighbor.

    87th and Antioch, OP here. ;-)

    --
    John

  13. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Any Linux user groups in the metro area? I'm really interested in learning
    this, but i really do better in a classroom or group than i do on my own. I
    have it up and running on the toshiba, but am stymied already on dl'ing say
    a news reader or other program. I must admit, i've only read the book
    through the installation so far.

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message

    > Hello, neighbor.
    >
    > 87th and Antioch, OP here. ;-)
    >

    > --
    > John
    > No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products
    > were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.
    >
    > The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell
    > me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being,
    > who wants me to know what I can do.

  14. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > Any Linux user groups in the metro area? I'm really interested in learning
    > this, but i really do better in a classroom or group than i do on my own. I
    > have it up and running on the toshiba, but am stymied already on dl'ing say
    > a news reader or other program. I must admit, i've only read the book
    > through the installation so far.

    There was one listed in the Kansas City, MO area a few months ago. You
    might Google and find it.

    I've never been though, thinking they were likely frequented by many
    n00bs, and a few show-offs.

    At least this is what I found at MacCORE, a Mac user group that spun off
    from the original Apple Bits User Group (ABUG) Mac SIG back around 1987.

    I started the original Apple II UG back in 1978. We met at ComputerLand
    on Santa Fe at Farley. The UG eventually moved to several different
    locations over the years. When it was at UMKC on Cherry, the Mac SIG was
    formed. Later that became MacCORE.

    Personally, I consider these computer user groups more of a "social"
    get-together than anything of technical value. Stuff is sold or traded,
    someone speaks about weeks-old news, and a boring program follows on
    something of no interest. For me, they are a big waste of time.

    Some of the same yokels can be heard on NPR's KCUR once a week, spewing
    their misinformation, most of it for Windows.

    I learned how to research using online tools, like Google, Wikipedia,
    etc. Far better for any answers I may need.

    I am not a highly-intelligent computer IT guru by any means, but I do
    know how to find the needed answers and use them. Hardware is probably
    more my discipline than software, but they are related.

    A Usenet newsgroup can also be helpful, but one like this one (in the
    alt.* hierarchy), frequently leaves a lot to be desired. It swells from
    flames, windroid advocacy, and just plain misinformation. Until you
    learn these various characters, be sure to verify anything you read here!

    If you come up I-35 frequently, I could show you some pointers. Bring
    your Toshiba, or we could use one of my 54 computers. Call first so I
    can get dressed, comb my hair, and put in my teeth. ;-)

    Installing software is basically a one-click operation on a Debian-based
    OS like Ubuntu. Actually showing you how to do things is better than
    trying to type the steps in a message, especially if you expect to learn
    to use the GUI.

    Now, if you want to jump in and use the console or terminal (CLI), then
    typed text instructions are great.

    On a side note, here are some pictures I took a few years ago using a
    cheap plastic digital camera:

    http://logia.home.att.net/up_3985_steam

    --
    John

  15. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:29:28 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> No worries. It's easily done. I once posted in here about
    >> English premiership football......would you believe?

    > Was that the one where you stated that Chelsea are better than Liverpool?

    Isn't that a given? Liverpool are shadow-chasing. Just as the rest of
    the 2nd tier premiership teams.

    --
    Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to wear ear plugs. ~ Spike
    Milligan

  16. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Patrick Phillips illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I do Kubuntu here and older PC with Xubuntu, then read both distro's NG
    >>> and probably why the confusion as who's NG I was in. :-)

    >> No worries. It's easily done. I once posted in here about
    >> English premiership football......would you believe?

    > Oh, you mean Soccer?

    No. I mean Football. HTH. ;-)

    --
    "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They
    left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that

  17. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:33:38 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:29:28 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> No worries. It's easily done. I once posted in here about
    >>> English premiership football......would you believe?

    >> Was that the one where you stated that Chelsea are better than Liverpool?

    > Isn't that a given? Liverpool are shadow-chasing. Just as the rest of
    > the 2nd tier premiership teams.

    Damn, got the wrong team :-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  18. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:33:38 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Was that the one where you stated that Chelsea are better than Liverpool?

    >> Isn't that a given? Liverpool are shadow-chasing. Just as the rest of
    >> the 2nd tier premiership teams.

    > Damn, got the wrong team :-)

    Next time you bet on a Red, I'll go for black. ;-)

    --
    "At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and
    charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3