Newbie taking the plunge - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie taking the plunge - Ubuntu ; Moog wrote: > "Mandriva"? > > In A Ubuntu newsgroup? Why on earth would the original poster want to > do that. It was not what he was asking. > Whoops...thought I was in Mandriva newsgroup! -- Patrick at... Latitude: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

  1. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  2. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > I personally came to like *.deb* based distribution a lot more then
    > *.rpm* based, used to have "Mandrake" as well, but liked Debian
    > proper more.

    Sorry...using both here and subscribe to each others NG, guess I was
    thinking I was in Mandriva group when replying.

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  3. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Patrick Phillips illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> "Mandriva"?
    >>
    >> In A Ubuntu newsgroup? Why on earth would the original poster want to
    >> do that. It was not what he was asking.
    >>

    > Whoops...thought I was in Mandriva newsgroup!

    No problem Patrick.

    While you're here...why not ditch Mandriva and run Ubuntu instead? You
    know it makes sense.
    ;-)

    --
    "You know what I hate? Indian givers...no, I take that back." ~ Emo
    Philips

  4. Re: Newbie taking the plunge/ got install started

    "Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
    news:fLGdnQJi8p81sxHVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around with
    > Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any reason it
    > shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't want to start
    > off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be finiky.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    OK, i got the toshiba POS back together and running. Was going to do a side
    by side install. Booted from the dvd, but when we got to the partitioning
    part, the resize and use freed space was not offered as an option. I went
    ahead and used the entire disk, since all the windows data had been
    transferred to the new DELL anyway. Any ideas why I wasn't offered the
    option i expected to be offered?

    thanks

    steve

  5. Re: Newbie taking the plunge/ got install started

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:24:50 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > "Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
    > news:fLGdnQJi8p81sxHVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    >> with Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    >> reason it shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't
    >> want to start off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be
    >> finiky.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> steve
    >>

    > OK, i got the toshiba POS back together and running. Was going to do a
    > side by side install. Booted from the dvd, but when we got to the
    > partitioning part, the resize and use freed space was not offered as an
    > option. I went ahead and used the entire disk, since all the windows
    > data had been transferred to the new DELL anyway. Any ideas why I
    > wasn't offered the option i expected to be offered?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    Without knowing your exact configuration, no. Maybe ubuntu couldn't free
    enough space to make a working install? IOW maybe your hard drive was too
    small or too full to clear enough space to install ubuntu? Just a guess
    on my part.

  6. Re: Newbie taking the plunge/ got install started

    "Derek Turner" wrote in message

    > Without knowing your exact configuration, no. Maybe ubuntu couldn't free
    > enough space to make a working install? IOW maybe your hard drive was too
    > small or too full to clear enough space to install ubuntu? Just a guess
    > on my part.

    had 36gb used and about 65 free. don't matter now.
    Is the newsreader included? I haven't found it yet.

    thanks

    steve

  7. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus24313 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> A second HDD on a Laptop? Now this is going to be some fun.
    >>> Unless you meant using a USB-HHD. In any case what's wrong
    >>> with sticking the DVD in the Laptop and run the OS in RAM to
    >>> see if its working.

    >> I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    >> drive in and install linux on the new one.

    > Seriously. Why do you even bother offering up such ****eyed
    > suggestions?
    >
    > You baffle me.

    If he screws up his Linux install, he would still have a nice disk
    with his Windows stuff. He would not lose anything.

    Pretty good if you ask me. Try to count endless people who complained
    that due to some mostake or other they wiped out all OS installs. And
    then you would realize that $30-50 spent on a new hard drive, is worth
    it.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Newbie taking the plunge/ got install started

    On 2008-07-27, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Without knowing your exact configuration, no. Maybe ubuntu couldn't free
    >> enough space to make a working install? IOW maybe your hard drive was too
    >> small or too full to clear enough space to install ubuntu? Just a guess
    >> on my part.

    > had 36gb used and about 65 free. don't matter now.
    > Is the newsreader included? I haven't found it yet.

    There are many available, pan, tin, slrn, etc. I use slrn.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:15:34 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    > with Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    > reason it shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't
    > want to start off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be
    > finiky.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    Congratulations! I've been messing with Linux since 1999 and love it. I
    just scrapped vista in favor of Ubuntu Hardy Heron on a Dell Inspiron
    1525. Everything is working, including the wireless since I swapped the
    unsupported Dell card out for the Intel Pro version that is supported
    (found it on ebay). I know you'll love it when you get used to it.

    Enjoy!
    Allen

  10. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Moog wrote:

    > No problem Patrick.
    >
    > While you're here...why not ditch Mandriva and run Ubuntu instead? You
    > know it makes sense.
    > ;-)

    I do Kubuntu here and older PC with Xubuntu, then read both distro's NG
    and probably why the confusion as who's NG I was in. :-)

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  11. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Ignoramus24313 wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus24313 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    .... snip ...

    >>> I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    >>> drive in and install linux on the new one.

    >> Seriously. Why do you even bother offering up such ****eyed
    >> suggestions?

    > If he screws up his Linux install, he would still have a nice disk
    > with his Windows stuff. He would not lose anything.

    That's a contradiction in terms. :-)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  12. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:23:47 -0500, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> No problem Patrick.
    >>
    >> While you're here...why not ditch Mandriva and run Ubuntu instead? You
    >> know it makes sense.
    >> ;-)

    > I do Kubuntu here and older PC with Xubuntu, then read both distro's NG
    > and probably why the confusion as who's NG I was in. :-)

    We all make mistakes, as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

    I thought I'd give Mandriva a whirl in a Virtual PC, once you manage to
    navigate through that 'orrible KDE interface and install GNOME it's not
    that bad is it?

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  13. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Steve Barker DLT wrote:
    > I got in in '91 and was a self taught DOS wizard. . I loved messing
    > with it. I hated windows, but then , well you know , had to go the easy
    > route.

    Point-and-click, icons, drag-and-drop... all are for babies or people
    who don't understand English.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26

  14. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Ignoramus24313 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2008-07-27, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus24313 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I mean, as in take the Windows hard drive out, put the new hard
    >>> drive in and install linux on the new one.

    >> Seriously. Why do you even bother offering up such ****eyed
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> You baffle me.
    >>

    > If he screws up his Linux install, he would still have a nice disk
    > with his Windows stuff. He would not lose anything.
    >
    > Pretty good if you ask me. Try to count endless people who complained
    > that due to some mostake or other they wiped out all OS installs. And
    > then you would realize that $30-50 spent on a new hard drive, is worth
    > it.

    Sure, and how many people are capable to open a PC case and
    take out the HDD let alone open a Lap-top? Of course you
    still need to take into consideration that the HDD on
    Lap-tops are the 2,5" version, and not the 3.5" and if he
    gets one for such a cheap price?

    Dragomir Kollaric

  15. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-27, Patrick Phillips hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> I personally came to like *.deb* based distribution a lot more then
    >> *.rpm* based, used to have "Mandrake" as well, but liked Debian
    >> proper more.

    > Sorry...using both here and subscribe to each others NG, guess I was
    > thinking I was in Mandriva group when replying.

    Well *choice* is grand isn't it. As I said I used to have Mandriva
    and Mandrake as *rescue-installation* as I spend a lot of time
    getting Debian to where I wanted it.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  16. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On 2008-07-28, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-27, Ignoramus24313 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-27, Moog wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus24313 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Seriously. Why do you even bother offering up such ****eyed
    >>> suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> You baffle me.
    >>>

    >> If he screws up his Linux install, he would still have a nice disk
    >> with his Windows stuff. He would not lose anything.
    >>
    >> Pretty good if you ask me. Try to count endless people who complained
    >> that due to some mostake or other they wiped out all OS installs. And
    >> then you would realize that $30-50 spent on a new hard drive, is worth
    >> it.

    > Sure, and how many people are capable to open a PC case and
    > take out the HDD let alone open a Lap-top? Of course you
    > still need to take into consideration that the HDD on
    > Lap-tops are the 2,5" version, and not the 3.5" and if he
    > gets one for such a cheap price?

    I have done it twice, and it is trivial. Unscrew several tiny screws,
    pull out old hard drive, pop in new one.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  17. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    in 65362 20080728 123308 Ignoramus9959 wrote:
    >On 2008-07-28, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >>> If he screws up his Linux install, he would still have a nice disk
    >>> with his Windows stuff. He would not lose anything.
    >>>
    >>> Pretty good if you ask me. Try to count endless people who complained
    >>> that due to some mostake or other they wiped out all OS installs. And
    >>> then you would realize that $30-50 spent on a new hard drive, is worth
    >>> it.

    >> Sure, and how many people are capable to open a PC case and
    >> take out the HDD let alone open a Lap-top? Of course you
    >> still need to take into consideration that the HDD on
    >> Lap-tops are the 2,5" version, and not the 3.5" and if he
    >> gets one for such a cheap price?

    >I have done it twice, and it is trivial. Unscrew several tiny screws,
    >pull out old hard drive, pop in new one.

    On my last laptop, a Compaq Armada, I had two 40GB disks, each in its own
    caddy (one with Ubuntu, the other with XP Pro) and I could swap drives and reboot
    in seconds.

  18. Re: Newbie taking the plunge/ got install started

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:24:50 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

    > "Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
    > news:fLGdnQJi8p81sxHVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> Never been anywhere but DOS and windows 'till now. Gonna play around
    >> with Ubuntu. Got a book by Apress and came with dvd, 8.04 etc. Any
    >> reason it shouldn't work on a toshiba laptop designed for XP? I don't
    >> want to start off on the wrong foot. I know sometimes laptops can be
    >> finiky.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> steve
    >>

    > OK, i got the toshiba POS back together and running. Was going to do a
    > side by side install. Booted from the dvd, but when we got to the
    > partitioning part, the resize and use freed space was not offered as an
    > option. I went ahead and used the entire disk, since all the windows
    > data had been transferred to the new DELL anyway. Any ideas why I
    > wasn't offered the option i expected to be offered?

    WELCOME TO UBUNTU!!

    I think you've chosen an extra-fine time to come aboard, as this latest
    release (8.04, Hardy Heron) is a Long-term Support edition... which means
    updates etc will be supplied longer than they would for other versions -
    I think it'll be supported for 3 years. Which means you won't *need* to
    upgrade for ages. Though you might well *choose* to update sooner - some
    users like to update every new version!!

    Anyway... welcome again!!

  19. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > I thought I'd give Mandriva a whirl in a Virtual PC, once you manage
    > to navigate through that 'orrible KDE interface and install GNOME
    > it's not that bad is it?

    Get the Live One CD Gnome edition, boots to and installs Gnome only,
    [other desktops can be d/l after install] Live One CD's also include
    and boot with proprietary ATI or Nvidia video drivers, and most
    multimedia codecs, Sun Java and Adobe Flash.

    mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-GNOME-int-cdrom-i586.iso
    660602 KB

    2008.1 Spring was a hit, as was 2008, Mandriva got straighted back out
    last couple releases have been well polished, I and many others
    gave-up on Mandriva just a couple years ago they were letting out
    buggy un-finished stuff to make release schedule.

    --
    Patrick...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  20. Re: Newbie taking the plunge

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:39:24 +0000, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> I thought I'd give Mandriva a whirl in a Virtual PC, once you manage
    >> to navigate through that 'orrible KDE interface and install GNOME
    >> it's not that bad is it?

    > Get the Live One CD Gnome edition, boots to and installs Gnome only,
    > [other desktops can be d/l after install] Live One CD's also include
    > and boot with proprietary ATI or Nvidia video drivers, and most
    > multimedia codecs, Sun Java and Adobe Flash.
    >
    > mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-GNOME-int-cdrom-i586.iso
    > 660602 KB
    >
    > 2008.1 Spring was a hit, as was 2008, Mandriva got straighted back out
    > last couple releases have been well polished, I and many others
    > gave-up on Mandriva just a couple years ago they were letting out
    > buggy un-finished stuff to make release schedule.

    I'll give that whirl, thanks.