puter crash - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on puter crash - Ubuntu ; All, OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. puter crash

    All,

    OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I
    would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu
    tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it try a window program
    and it froze I could not get wine to close so I did a soft reboot, Now the
    computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren and I
    can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that freeze cause
    this or do I have a broken puppy?

    GK

  2. Re: puter crash

    GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I
    > would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu
    > tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it try a window program
    > and it froze I could not get wine to close so I did a soft reboot, Now the
    > computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren and I
    > can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that freeze cause
    > this or do I have a broken puppy?

    Appears to be a coincidence. Something mangled your bios setup, or the
    mainboard gone faulty.
    Often such failures resolve themself after power-off (walls socket) for half
    an hour. If not:
    Try to remove the cmos battery for a while to make it restore failsafe
    settings, or find the jumper (mainboard manual should help) to reset bios.
    If you can then access the bios, just set the boot order as it was, adjust
    the date if you don't use nntpdate, and hope the best.

  3. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:39:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I
    > would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu
    > tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it try a window
    > program and it froze I could not get wine to close so I did a soft
    > reboot, Now the computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory
    > test" scren and I can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could
    > that freeze cause this or do I have a broken puppy?
    >
    > GK

    You seem to be saying that you can't get past the POST (power on self
    test). This can have /nothing/ to do with the operating system as at that
    point your machine doesn't even know that there's a hard-drive in there,
    let alone what's on it! Exactly what does come up after the memory check?
    please post it here.

  4. Re: puter crash

    GrailKing wrote:

    > Now the
    > computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren
    > and I can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that
    > freeze cause this or do I have a broken puppy?

    Sounds like a BIOS or hardware problem if you can't get into BIOS
    settings?
    You may have to un-plug the CMOS backup battery on the mainboard and
    wait for its capacitor to discharge long enough to clear the CMOS and
    hopefully the BIOS goes back to some kind of default setting?

    If you can't get back into BIOS settings you have a big and bad
    hardware problem!
    I'd think not related to Linux or OS, more likely the hardware failed
    and it froze-up if any relationship.

    --
    Patrick...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  5. Re: puter crash

    On 2008-07-27, GrailKing hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I
    > would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu
    > tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it try a window program
    > and it froze I could not get wine to close so I did a soft reboot, Now the
    > computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren and I
    > can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that freeze cause
    > this or do I have a broken puppy?

    Are you using a wireless keyboard or a USB one? This is
    known to cause some problems too. And if you look at the
    monitor it will say which key (or combinations of keys to
    press to enter BIOS ) And please remember don't blame the OS
    when the hardware is not behaving properly! Also you could
    pull out the RAM if you have more then one stick in it, and
    start the PC with a plain wired keyboard.

    > GK

    Dragomir Kollaric

  6. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:34:47 -0400, Patrick Phillips
    wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> Now the
    >> computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren
    >> and I can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that
    >> freeze cause this or do I have a broken puppy?

    > Sounds like a BIOS or hardware problem if you can't get into BIOS
    > settings?
    > You may have to un-plug the CMOS backup battery on the mainboard and
    > wait for its capacitor to discharge long enough to clear the CMOS and
    > hopefully the BIOS goes back to some kind of default setting?
    >
    > If you can't get back into BIOS settings you have a big and bad
    > hardware problem!
    > I'd think not related to Linux or OS, more likely the hardware failed
    > and it froze-up if any relationship.

    I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass "
    press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.

    I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    didn't work either.

  7. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    > " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >
    > I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    > didn't work either.

    You didn't tell us the model number of your computer, or mother board
    number. If you do, we can help you find the jumper to reset your cmos.

    sf

  8. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:48:45 -0400, jellybean stonerfish
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >

    >> I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    >> " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >>
    >> I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    >> didn't work either.

    > You didn't tell us the model number of your computer, or mother board
    > number. If you do, we can help you find the jumper to reset your cmos.
    >
    > sf

    That's because this is the first puter I did not build myself, I bought it
    a few years back so I will do that, just not today.

  9. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:34:47 -0400, Patrick Phillips
    > wrote:
    >
    >> GrailKing wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now the
    >>> computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren and
    >>> I can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that freeze
    >>> cause this or do I have a broken puppy?

    >> Sounds like a BIOS or hardware problem if you can't get into BIOS
    >> settings?
    >> You may have to un-plug the CMOS backup battery on the mainboard and
    >> wait for its capacitor to discharge long enough to clear the CMOS and
    >> hopefully the BIOS goes back to some kind of default setting?
    >>
    >> If you can't get back into BIOS settings you have a big and bad
    >> hardware problem!
    >> I'd think not related to Linux or OS, more likely the hardware failed
    >> and it froze-up if any relationship.
    >>

    > I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    > " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >
    > I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    > didn't work either.

    Start pulling out addon cards (PCI, AGP, etc) and drives. If your memory
    was bad you probably wouldn't even get a BIOS splash.

  10. Re: puter crash

    wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >

    >> I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    >> " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >>
    >> I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    >> didn't work either.

    > You didn't tell us the model number of your computer, or mother board
    > number. If you do, we can help you find the jumper to reset your cmos.
    >
    > sf

    I bought this baby used about 4 years back so I couldn't tell you,I did
    mention it was a PC clone; I can give you the info that rolls on the
    screen at the start if you think that may help.

    I removed the battery for an hour or 2 then put it back in, got the same
    thing so I left the computer on as I went to the store; I came back a half
    hour later and windows was running.

    I reboot and I get the same pause, this time I hit the Esc key and about 3
    minutes later I see a CMOS checksum / or mismatch error, I reboot again
    and again 3-5 minutes in I got the the same screen and wait than I see hit
    ALT F2 to enter Awards Flash ??? then another 2 minutes and the count down
    for dual boot choice appears this time I chose Ubuntu, so far the only
    thing I see wrong in Ubuntu is the trash won't empty I have 33 items in
    trash I hit empty and I still have 33 items in the trash.

    Windows also ran fine when I let it go straight to windows.

    GK

  11. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 04:48:04 -0400, Derek Turner
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:39:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I
    >> would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu
    >> tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it try a window
    >> program and it froze I could not get wine to close so I did a soft
    >> reboot, Now the computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory
    >> test" scren and I can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could
    >> that freeze cause this or do I have a broken puppy?
    >>
    >> GK

    > You seem to be saying that you can't get past the POST (power on self
    > test). This can have /nothing/ to do with the operating system as at that
    > point your machine doesn't even know that there's a hard-drive in there,
    > let alone what's on it! Exactly what does come up after the memory check?
    > please post it here.

    Derek,

    Please follow down the thread.

  12. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:31:52 -0400, Dragomir Kollaric
    wrote:

    > On 2008-07-27, GrailKing hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> OK, I am in week three of using Ubuntu so I found most of the things I
    >> would want, unrar,Gpar, VLC,plus standard programs that came with Ubuntu
    >> tonight I added WINE and was playing with it I had it try a window
    >> program
    >> and it froze I could not get wine to close so I did a soft reboot, Now
    >> the
    >> computer won't get past the "press Esc to skip memory test" scren and I
    >> can't get into bios, may be a coincident , but could that freeze cause
    >> this or do I have a broken puppy?

    > Are you using a wireless keyboard or a USB one? This is
    > known to cause some problems too. And if you look at the
    > monitor it will say which key (or combinations of keys to
    > press to enter BIOS ) And please remember don't blame the OS
    > when the hardware is not behaving properly! Also you could
    > pull out the RAM if you have more then one stick in it, and
    > start the PC with a plain wired keyboard.
    >

    >> GK

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    USB, the start up lights for floppy, cd, and all three LEDs for keyboard
    come on before I get the freeze.

    Follow down the thread, I got into the computer but the issues are still
    here.

    GK.

  13. Re: puter crash

    draeath wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:34:47 -0400, Patrick Phillips
    >> wrote:

    >>> Sounds like a BIOS or hardware problem if you can't get into BIOS
    >>> settings?
    >>> You may have to un-plug the CMOS backup battery on the mainboard and
    >>> wait for its capacitor to discharge long enough to clear the CMOS and
    >>> hopefully the BIOS goes back to some kind of default setting?
    >>>
    >>> If you can't get back into BIOS settings you have a big and bad
    >>> hardware problem!
    >>> I'd think not related to Linux or OS, more likely the hardware failed
    >>> and it froze-up if any relationship.
    >>>

    >> I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    >> " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >>
    >> I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    >> didn't work either.

    > Start pulling out addon cards (PCI, AGP, etc) and drives. If your memory
    > was bad you probably wouldn't even get a BIOS splash.

    I had the same problem awile back and it turned out to be a bad video card.
    caver1

  14. Re: puter crash

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:43:46 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > draeath wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    >>> I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    >>> " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >>>
    >>> I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    >>> didn't work either.

    >> Start pulling out addon cards (PCI, AGP, etc) and drives. If your
    >> memory was bad you probably wouldn't even get a BIOS splash.

    > I had the same problem awile back and it turned out to be a bad video
    > card.
    > caver1

    So if I pull the Nvid card and I get through quickly I get black screen or
    defaults to 640X480?

  15. Re: puter crash

    On 2008-07-28, GrailKing hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:43:46 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >

    >> I had the same problem awile back and it turned out to be a bad video
    >> card.
    >> caver1

    > So if I pull the Nvid card and I get through quickly I get black screen or
    > defaults to 640X480?

    Of course when you pull out one card you need to put in
    *another* so that you will see anything at all.

    Also in another reply you said you pulled the RAM and put
    them back in. If you have more then one, pull all of them,
    and then put *ONE* in at a time. If you just switch
    RAM-sticks, but if one is broken, it will still cause the
    same problem. Also do you hear some *peeps* when the PC
    starts? they can also be helpful in tracking down a problem,
    since they are different for each hardware problem.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  16. Re: puter crash

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 03:50:21 -0400, Dragomir Kollaric
    wrote:

    > On 2008-07-28, GrailKing hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:43:46 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >>

    >>> I had the same problem awile back and it turned out to be a bad video
    >>> card.
    >>> caver1

    >> So if I pull the Nvid card and I get through quickly I get black screen
    >> or
    >> defaults to 640X480?

    > Of course when you pull out one card you need to put in
    > *another* so that you will see anything at all.
    >
    > Also in another reply you said you pulled the RAM and put
    > them back in. If you have more then one, pull all of them,
    > and then put *ONE* in at a time. If you just switch
    > RAM-sticks, but if one is broken, it will still cause the
    > same problem. Also do you hear some *peeps* when the PC
    > starts? they can also be helpful in tracking down a problem,
    > since they are different for each hardware problem.
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    No error beeps on start up, just slow once it hits the point of DEL / hit
    ESC blah,blah.

    GK

  17. Re: puter crash

    GrailKing wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:43:46 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> draeath wrote:

    >>> Start pulling out addon cards (PCI, AGP, etc) and drives. If your
    >>> memory was bad you probably wouldn't even get a BIOS splash.

    >> I had the same problem awile back and it turned out to be a bad video
    >> card.
    >> caver1

    > So if I pull the Nvid card and I get through quickly I get black screen
    > or defaults to 640X480?

    That depends on your onboard graphics. It should at the least defaut to
    640x480. But then you can get in to effect changes.
    I had another vid card that I slipped in and everything was good after
    that. It took me awhile to figure it out. Pull something put it in
    another box see what happens. Then try the next.
    caver1

  18. Re: puter crash

    GrailKing wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 03:50:21 -0400, Dragomir Kollaric
    > wrote:

    >>> So if I pull the Nvid card and I get through quickly I get black
    >>> screen or
    >>> defaults to 640X480?

    >> Of course when you pull out one card you need to put in
    >> *another* so that you will see anything at all.
    >>
    >> Also in another reply you said you pulled the RAM and put
    >> them back in. If you have more then one, pull all of them,
    >> and then put *ONE* in at a time. If you just switch
    >> RAM-sticks, but if one is broken, it will still cause the
    >> same problem. Also do you hear some *peeps* when the PC
    >> starts? they can also be helpful in tracking down a problem,
    >> since they are different for each hardware problem.
    >>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > No error beeps on start up, just slow once it hits the point of DEL /
    > hit ESC blah,blah.
    >
    > GK

    That's what mine did. If its a ram problem you will get beeps.
    caver1

  19. Re: puter crash

    GrailKing wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:48:45 -0400, jellybean stonerfish
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:12:25 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >>

    >>> I unplugged the computer for an hour, still can't get into bios or pass
    >>> " press Del for bios esc to bypass memory check.
    >>>
    >>> I took the ram out last night and put them into another slot and that
    >>> didn't work either.

    >> You didn't tell us the model number of your computer, or mother board
    >> number. If you do, we can help you find the jumper to reset your cmos.
    >>
    >> sf

    > I bought this baby used about 4 years back so I couldn't tell you,I did
    > mention it was a PC clone; I can give you the info that rolls on the
    > screen at the start if you think that may help.
    >
    > I removed the battery for an hour or 2 then put it back in, got the same
    > thing so I left the computer on as I went to the store; I came back a half
    > hour later and windows was running.

    Ok. Now take the battery to the store and get a new one. Put the new one in.

  20. Re: puter crash

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > GrailKing wrote:
    >

    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:48:45 -0400, jellybean stonerfish
    >> wrote:

    >>> You didn't tell us the model number of your computer, or mother board
    >>> number. If you do, we can help you find the jumper to reset your cmos.
    >>>
    >>> sf
    >>>

    >> I bought this baby used about 4 years back so I couldn't tell you,I did
    >> mention it was a PC clone; I can give you the info that rolls on the
    >> screen at the start if you think that may help.
    >>
    >> I removed the battery for an hour or 2 then put it back in, got the same
    >> thing so I left the computer on as I went to the store; I came back a half
    >> hour later and windows was running.
    >>

    > Ok. Now take the battery to the store and get a new one. Put the new one in.

    Just a quick comment. A friend of mine has 5 computers of about the same
    age and they were all starting to get strange at about the same time. A
    quick check with my Fluke DMM showed all the batteries were below 3.0 volts.
    He bought a 12 pack and we did a battery change on all computers, reset
    the BIOS, and they all worked. One battery was down to under 1 volt. All
    the new coin cells are the same unless somebody made a proprietary MB,
    and that would be shooting themselves in the foot.
    Batteries.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast