Error 441 when posting - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Error 441 when posting - Ubuntu ; Kurt Steinhauser wrote: > I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in > this news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that > alt.os.linux.ubuntu doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when > I can download headers ...

  1. Re: Error 441 when posting

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in
    > this news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when
    > I can download headers and read posts, just not reply when I wish on
    > this HH machine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yes that is no such group error message, or could be your not
    authorized to post to this group error message, try re-downloading
    the complete news group's list and re-subscribing to this newgroup.
    --
    Patrick...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  2. Error 441 when posting

    I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in this
    news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when I can download headers
    and read posts, just not reply when I wish on this HH machine.

    Any ideas?
    --
    Regards, Kurt

  3. Re: Error 441 when posting

    Kurt Steinhauser writes:

    > I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in this
    > news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    > doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when I can download headers
    > and read posts, just not reply when I wish on this HH machine.

    From the headers you seem to be using Motzarella. Ray did a bit of
    maintenance work earlier,[1] so you'd probably do best to reconnect and/or
    resubscribe to this newsgroup. You could also probably post/search
    about this on the motzarella.info newsgroup.

    Footnotes:
    [1] Message-ID:

    --
    I like the idea of 256 bits, though: 32 for the (Unicode) character leaves
    room for 224 Bucky bits, which ought to be enough for anyone.

  4. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:18:47 +0800, Zak B. Elep wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser writes:
    >
    >> I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in
    >> this news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when I
    >> can download headers and read posts, just not reply when I wish on this
    >> HH machine.

    > From the headers you seem to be using Motzarella. Ray did a bit of
    > maintenance work earlier,[1] so you'd probably do best to reconnect
    > and/or resubscribe to this newsgroup. You could also probably
    > post/search about this on the motzarella.info newsgroup.
    >

    > Footnotes:
    > [1] Message-ID:

    Thanks, I'll take a look at the motz.info NG. I did adjust the number of
    connections on the nix box, and successfully posted to test group. Will
    also try the re-subscribe notion.

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  5. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:09:55 +0000, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >
    >> I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in
    >> this news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when I
    >> can download headers and read posts, just not reply when I wish on this
    >> HH machine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Yes that is no such group error message, or could be your not authorized
    > to post to this group error message, try re-downloading the complete
    > news group's list and re-subscribing to this newgroup.

    Thanks, I unsubscribed, re-subscribed on this box (Nixbox). My reply to
    Zak was made from the Wintel box. As I mentioned in that reply, I
    adjusted the number of connections to the server from 4 to 2.

    Oddly enough, I can post to other newsgroups without difficulty. Go
    figure.
    --
    Regards, Kurt

  6. Re: Error 441 when posting

    * Kurt Steinhauser peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:09:55 +0000, Patrick Phillips wrote:
    >
    >> Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in
    >>> this news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that
    >>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when I
    >>> can download headers and read posts, just not reply when I wish on this
    >>> HH machine.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Yes that is no such group error message, or could be your not authorized
    >> to post to this group error message, try re-downloading the complete
    >> news group's list and re-subscribing to this newgroup.

    > Thanks, I unsubscribed, re-subscribed on this box (Nixbox). My reply to
    > Zak was made from the Wintel box. As I mentioned in that reply, I
    > adjusted the number of connections to the server from 4 to 2.
    >
    > Oddly enough, I can post to other newsgroups without difficulty. Go
    > figure.

    I had a problem like that, and it went away when I went back to an
    earlier version of slrn.

    I wonder if an NNTP library has a bug?

    --
    There's small choice in rotten apples.
    -- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of the Shrew"

  7. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:26:33 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Kurt Steinhauser peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Yes that is no such group error message, or could be your not
    >>> authorized to post to this group error message, try re-downloading the
    >>> complete news group's list and re-subscribing to this newgroup.

    >> Thanks, I unsubscribed, re-subscribed on this box (Nixbox). My reply to
    >> Zak was made from the Wintel box. As I mentioned in that reply, I
    >> adjusted the number of connections to the server from 4 to 2.
    >>
    >> Oddly enough, I can post to other newsgroups without difficulty. Go
    >> figure.

    > I had a problem like that, and it went away when I went back to an
    > earlier version of slrn.
    >
    > I wonder if an NNTP library has a bug?

    At this point, I would not be surprised to find that there is such a bug.

    OT: there I was happy as a clam with Dapper and then I went and
    apparently screwed things up by upgrading. Stiff lesson. Am quite
    seriously considering going back to Dapper and staying there. Things just
    worked.

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  8. Dapper Just Works (was: Error 441 when posting)

    Kurt Steinhauser writes:

    > OT: there I was happy as a clam with Dapper and then I went and
    > apparently screwed things up by upgrading. Stiff lesson. Am quite
    > seriously considering going back to Dapper and staying there. Things just
    > worked.

    I think I can imagine that. My Kubuntu laptop started with Dapper,
    and has been dist-upgraded all the way to Hardy since then. Over the
    course, there's a bit of GUI breakage here and there but the core is
    rock-solid. I'll probably will reinstall very soon though and clean up
    the pr0n^Wcode it has accumulated over the months. I should go try
    Dapper again, and maybe install NetBSD pkgsrc if I need stuff in
    /usr/local.

    --
    I like the idea of 256 bits, though: 32 for the (Unicode) character leaves
    room for 224 Bucky bits, which ought to be enough for anyone.
    -- Roland Hutchinson, in alt.folklore.computers

  9. Re: Error 441 when posting

    * Kurt Steinhauser peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > OT: there I was happy as a clam with Dapper and then I went and
    > apparently screwed things up by upgrading. Stiff lesson. Am quite
    > seriously considering going back to Dapper and staying there. Things just
    > worked.

    If only a few things are wrong, just replace them. That's what I did
    with slrn: go to either the project's web site or to debian.org and get
    the older version's source code, and "make install" the code. Then make
    sure the apt version of the code is /not/ installed.

    --
    I remember Ulysses well... Left one day for the post office to mail a letter,
    met a blonde named Circe on the streetcar, and didn't come back for 20 years.

  10. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:33:46 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Kurt Steinhauser peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> OT: there I was happy as a clam with Dapper and then I went and
    >> apparently screwed things up by upgrading. Stiff lesson. Am quite
    >> seriously considering going back to Dapper and staying there. Things
    >> just worked.

    > If only a few things are wrong, just replace them. That's what I did
    > with slrn: go to either the project's web site or to debian.org and get
    > the older version's source code, and "make install" the code. Then make
    > sure the apt version of the code is /not/ installed.

    I've already done that with Pan. Running a roll-your-own on this and all
    my other nix boxes. May have to do that with SAMBA. But that will have to
    be a project for another day. I've been frustrated with the 'new'
    networking features like the 'can't find the eth0' message that you get
    when you configure the NIC under HH. Bah.

    --
    Regards, Kurt

  11. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On 2008-07-28, Kurt Steinhauser hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:33:46 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Kurt Steinhauser peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> OT: there I was happy as a clam with Dapper and then I went and
    >>> apparently screwed things up by upgrading. Stiff lesson. Am quite
    >>> seriously considering going back to Dapper and staying there. Things
    >>> just worked.

    >> If only a few things are wrong, just replace them. That's what I did
    >> with slrn: go to either the project's web site or to debian.org and get
    >> the older version's source code, and "make install" the code. Then make
    >> sure the apt version of the code is /not/ installed.

    > I've already done that with Pan. Running a roll-your-own on this and all
    > my other nix boxes. May have to do that with SAMBA. But that will have to
    > be a project for another day. I've been frustrated with the 'new'
    > networking features like the 'can't find the eth0' message that you get
    > when you configure the NIC under HH. Bah.

    When do you get these messages? If you use a GUI?

    FILES to configure (manually if it helps

    /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/hosts.deny allow
    /etc/HOSTNAME

    I'm not sure if I run into a problem on a Mint install or Ubuntu
    but since I come from Debian proper and had to configure the NIC by
    editing these files I figured I search for them, sure enough so it
    was. at the end /etc/init.d/ifup eth0

    Unless the NIC is not seen at all.

    At boot time does dmesg show you the NIC?

    dmesg | grep eth0
    [ 39.124640] e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
    Connection
    [ 58.492859] e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_task: NIC Link is Up 100
    Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None

    I'm sure you know all the relevant data to configure this by hand.

    /etc/network/interfaces

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface

    iface eth0 inet static
    address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network your settings.0
    broadcast .255
    gateway YXZ etc. .1
    # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
    dns-nameservers your IPS neveservers

    auto eth0

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Error 441 when posting

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > And As I tried posting this from 'Marvin' I got the "no valid
    > newsgroups message in alt.os.linux.ubuntu" once more.
    > Now 2 minutes later, I'm at the Windows machine to try posting.

    You've either got a corrupted newsgroup list in you news reader, or it
    simply needs re-downloaded. Some news readers just update the list
    each time and some replace the list, your list needs replaced either
    by re-download it, or delete current list from your newsreader and
    download a new list.
    I've seen same errors before your like getting 441 and message "no or
    not a valid news group" when the news group list file of news reader
    gets corrupted.

    --
    Patrick...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  13. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:53:44 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    [...]
    >> I've already done that with Pan. Running a roll-your-own on this and
    >> all my other nix boxes. May have to do that with SAMBA. But that will
    >> have to be a project for another day. I've been frustrated with the
    >> 'new' networking features like the 'can't find the eth0' message that
    >> you get when you configure the NIC under HH. Bah.

    > When do you get these messages? If you use a GUI?

    yes, network tools under Devices, select eth0>configure and the popup
    says "The interface does not exist. Check that it is properly typed and
    is supported by your system."

    > FILES to configure (manually if it helps
    >
    > /etc/network/interfaces
    > /etc/resolv.conf
    > /etc/hosts.deny allow
    > /etc/HOSTNAME
    >
    > I'm not sure if I run into a problem on a Mint install or Ubuntu but
    > since I come from Debian proper and had to configure the NIC by editing
    > these files I figured I search for them, sure enough so it was. at the
    > end /etc/init.d/ifup eth0
    >
    > Unless the NIC is not seen at all.
    >
    > At boot time does dmesg show you the NIC?
    >
    > dmesg | grep eth0
    > [ 39.124640] e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
    > Connection
    > [ 58.492859] e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_task: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps
    > Full Duplex, Flow Control: None

    yes, along with some additional verbiage which I snipped.
    kurt@Marvin:~$ dmesg | grep eth0
    [ 26.667987] e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0x40000000, irq 16, MAC addr
    00:02:a5:77:3d:e8
    [ 49.641573] e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
    [ 70.332596] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    {snippage of irrelevant infos}

    > I'm sure you know all the relevant data to configure this by hand.

    Thank you, Dragomir. Hopefully I'll continue to learn things not
    necessarily by the old fashioned way of breaking things that then
    learning how to fix them.
    [...]

    I'm still puzzled by the silly popup error message, even though it
    appears that all is OK.

    And As I tried posting this from 'Marvin' I got the "no valid newsgroups
    message in alt.os.linux.ubuntu" once more.
    Now 2 minutes later, I'm at the Windows machine to try posting.

    --
    Regards, Kurt

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  14. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:50:14 +0000, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    >> And As I tried posting this from 'Marvin' I got the "no valid
    >> newsgroups message in alt.os.linux.ubuntu" once more. Now 2 minutes
    >> later, I'm at the Windows machine to try posting.
    >>

    > You've either got a corrupted newsgroup list in you news reader, or it
    > simply needs re-downloaded. Some news readers just update the list each
    > time and some replace the list, your list needs replaced either by
    > re-download it, or delete current list from your newsreader and download
    > a new list.
    > I've seen same errors before your like getting 441 and message "no or
    > not a valid news group" when the news group list file of news reader
    > gets corrupted.

    Thanks, Patrick.
    I think that you are right. This machine is one that was upgraded from
    Dapper. I suspect that there has been something of a carry over from the
    earlier install of Pan.
    The frustration factor of this and a couple of other problems like the
    networking, is leading me to the belief that an in situ upgrade is a BIG
    mistake. As I type this I'm doing a clean re-install of HH on the sister/
    deskmate box of this machine. So, one way or another, at least one of the
    two Linux HH machines will be (hopefully) fully functional by sundown.
    --
    Regards, Kurt

  15. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On 2008-07-28, Kurt Steinhauser hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Thanks, Patrick.
    > I think that you are right. This machine is one that was upgraded from
    > Dapper. I suspect that there has been something of a carry over from the
    > earlier install of Pan.
    > The frustration factor of this and a couple of other problems like the
    > networking, is leading me to the belief that an in situ upgrade is a BIG
    > mistake. As I type this I'm doing a clean re-install of HH on the sister/
    > deskmate box of this machine. So, one way or another, at least one of the
    > two Linux HH machines will be (hopefully) fully functional by sundown.

    As for me, I'll keep backing up the existing System I've got
    installed every week or so. I had two working Debian (one
    stable the other one "testing") and *upgraded* *stable* to
    *unstable*. I wanted to update *testing* of course and had
    the wrong OS started. This wiped out a system I had almost
    spend half a year setting up. (I had backed up Data of
    course, but not the OS. In the meantime I came over to
    Ubuntu (use the "Studio-variant") and now /home sits on its
    own Partition.

    When I installed this one, it gave me very little troubles,
    and as this version also will be longer supported, I'll keep
    it up to date.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  16. Re: Error 441 when posting

    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > Thanks, Patrick.
    > I think that you are right. This machine is one that was upgraded from
    > Dapper. I suspect that there has been something of a carry over from
    > the earlier install of Pan.
    > The frustration factor of this and a couple of other problems like the
    > networking, is leading me to the belief that an in situ upgrade is a
    > BIG mistake. As I type this I'm doing a clean re-install of HH on the
    > sister/ deskmate box of this machine. So, one way or another, at least
    > one of the two Linux HH machines will be (hopefully) fully functional
    > by sundown.

    ahh...yes the upgrade OS chance...sometimes it works :-)

    That is a sure way to get a corrupt newsgroup list in Pan; and probably
    whats happened with the network card config files.

    If only 2 things wrong you can probably fix it.

    If you know what Pan config file holds newsgroup list, delete it and
    re-download the newsgroup list should fix it.
    But re-download newsgroup list without deleting old file first would be
    just another upgrade and probably fail.

    I haven't been following the eth0 problem.

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  17. Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:19:03 -0500, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > Kurt Steinhauser wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, Patrick.
    >> I think that you are right. This machine is one that was upgraded from
    >> Dapper. I suspect that there has been something of a carry over from
    >> the earlier install of Pan.
    >> The frustration factor of this and a couple of other problems like the
    >> networking, is leading me to the belief that an in situ upgrade is a
    >> BIG mistake. As I type this I'm doing a clean re-install of HH on the
    >> sister/ deskmate box of this machine. So, one way or another, at least
    >> one of the two Linux HH machines will be (hopefully) fully functional
    >> by sundown.

    > ahh...yes the upgrade OS chance...sometimes it works :-)

    In the course of evolving with Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog days, I've
    found that an in situ upgrade just has not worked well for me.

    > That is a sure way to get a corrupt newsgroup list in Pan; and probably
    > whats happened with the network card config files.
    >
    > If only 2 things wrong you can probably fix it.
    >
    > If you know what Pan config file holds newsgroup list, delete it and
    > re-download the newsgroup list should fix it. But re-download newsgroup
    > list without deleting old file first would be just another upgrade and
    > probably fail.

    Thanks once again for the good avdise. I'll go 'diving' with Nautilis
    later and do some deleting and then re-loading.

    > I haven't been following the eth0 problem.

    It's no big thing. The Network Tools GUI seems to have a glitch in it.
    Ehth0 has been configured and checked. It works fine. At least on the
    workstations that I've been banging head on for last week.

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  18. Solved Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:52:58 +0000, Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > I've been getting hit with Error 441 messages when trying to post in
    > this news group. Accompanying verbiage indicates that
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu doesn't exist on this server. Quite strange when I
    > can download headers and read posts, just not reply when I wish on this
    > HH machine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I'd like to thank the people who offered help and tips on resolving this
    problem.
    I eventually did get it fixed by deleting the database file in the .Pan2
    folder and the header file in the .Pan2/newsrc2. After re-loading all the
    headers from the server: problem solved.
    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  19. Re: Solved Re: Error 441 when posting

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:14:28 +0000 (UTC)
    Kurt Steinhauser wrote:

    > I'd like to thank the people who offered help and tips on resolving
    > this problem.
    > I eventually did get it fixed by deleting the database file in
    > the .Pan2 folder and the header file in the .Pan2/newsrc2. After
    > re-loading all the headers from the server: problem solved.

    Your welcome, I thought that might be the fix but didn't know Pan
    filename[s] to delete, they probably got corrupt with OS upgrade.

    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

+ Reply to Thread