evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane - Ubuntu ; Using ubuntu 8.04 (up to date) and evolution 2.22.3.1 (up to date), when I look at the local folders (saved Email) and click on an Email (to show it in the preview pane), "sometimes" it won't show up. Double clicking ...

  1. evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane

    Using ubuntu 8.04 (up to date) and evolution 2.22.3.1 (up to date), when
    I look at the local folders (saved Email) and click on an Email (to show
    it in the preview pane), "sometimes" it won't show up. Double clicking
    will get it to display in its own window, so it's there. Sometimes it
    will show up (I haven't been able to figure out how or why). I like
    reading in the preview pane, and this (apparent) bug is rather annoying.

    Has anybody experienced this? Is it a feature I"m not aware of, or a bug?

    Yes, the menus are set to show all Emails, no filters are in place, and
    without changing anything, sometimes the mails will appear in the preview
    after they didn't (usually by my going to a different folder and then
    coming back) However, if I just wait, nothing happens.

    Jose

  2. Re: evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane

    Jose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Using ubuntu 8.04 (up to date) and evolution 2.22.3.1 (up to date), when
    > I look at the local folders (saved Email) and click on an Email (to show
    > it in the preview pane), "sometimes" it won't show up. Double clicking
    > will get it to display in its own window, so it's there. Sometimes it
    > will show up (I haven't been able to figure out how or why). I like
    > reading in the preview pane, and this (apparent) bug is rather annoying.
    >
    > Has anybody experienced this? Is it a feature I"m not aware of, or a bug?
    >
    > Yes, the menus are set to show all Emails, no filters are in place, and
    > without changing anything, sometimes the mails will appear in the preview
    > after they didn't (usually by my going to a different folder and then
    > coming back) However, if I just wait, nothing happens.

    Is it possibly the way you've got Evolution to read html emails.

    Check
    Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> HTML Messages (Tab)

    Play with the settings in their until you get a more deisrable
    preview.

    IMHO, you have the "Never Show Images" and "Only Ever Show Plain"
    options enabled.

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

  3. Re: evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane

    > Is it possibly the way you've got Evolution to read html emails.
    >
    > Check
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> HTML Messages (Tab)
    >
    > Play with the settings in their until you get a more deisrable preview.
    >
    > IMHO, you have the "Never Show Images" and "Only Ever Show Plain"
    > options enabled.

    I have it set to "never show images" and "Show HTML if present". I'll
    play with the settings, but the odd thing is that the same message will
    sometimes show up and sometimes not (These are messages I've saved on my
    computer). IT seems that, many times, if I exit and enter a folder, I
    can get a message to show up. If I enter a folder directly (clicking on
    it) with a different level of indent, messages are more likely to not
    show up. But this is not reliable.

    "Only ever show plain" is sort of obscure wording, no?

    Jose

  4. Re: evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane

    Jose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Is it possibly the way you've got Evolution to read html emails.
    >>
    >> Check
    >> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> HTML Messages (Tab)
    >>
    >> Play with the settings in their until you get a more deisrable preview.
    >>
    >> IMHO, you have the "Never Show Images" and "Only Ever Show Plain"
    >> options enabled.

    > I have it set to "never show images" and "Show HTML if present". I'll
    > play with the settings, but the odd thing is that the same message will
    > sometimes show up and sometimes not (These are messages I've saved on my
    > computer). IT seems that, many times, if I exit and enter a folder, I
    > can get a message to show up. If I enter a folder directly (clicking on
    > it) with a different level of indent, messages are more likely to not
    > show up. But this is not reliable.
    >
    > "Only ever show plain" is sort of obscure wording, no?

    I agree

    I've not come across your issue at all. Perhaps you have a rogue
    setting in your ~/.evolution folder.

    Maybe back that up
    $ cp ~/.evolution ~/.evolutionbackup
    $ rm ~/.evolution

    Then start evolution again. Close it down again without worrying.

    What you can then do is drop back the files from
    ~/.evolutionbackup into the fresh folder and see if that solves it.

    --
    "I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was
    responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was

  5. Re: evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:29:17 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > I've not come across your issue at all. Perhaps you have a rogue setting
    > in your ~/.evolution folder.
    >
    > Maybe back that up
    > $ cp ~/.evolution ~/.evolutionbackup
    > $ rm ~/.evolution
    >
    > Then start evolution again. Close it down again without worrying.
    >
    > What you can then do is drop back the files from ~/.evolutionbackup into
    > the fresh folder and see if that solves it.

    I get the result:
    "omitting directory ~/home/jose/.evolution"

    Same result with sudo.

    So I tried renaming the directory. When I started evolution again, a
    new .evolution directory was created, but all my settings were still
    intact. The problem remains.

    So now I have a new question besides the original - why was the directory
    "omitted" (from the cp command)? Thing about computers - you can't ask
    them questions. At least not constructively!

    Jose

  6. Re: evolution doesn't always show preview in preview pane

    Was this ever resolved to the originators satisfaction? I have a brand spanking new installation of Ubuntu Hardy and have this exact problem?

+ Reply to Thread