I have made some progress on this issue. I tried to remove anything
from the system that was not essential.

I did this:

/etc/init.d/apparmor stop
rmmod uhci_hcd ehci_hcd usbhid usbcore apparmor parport_pc lp parport

Removed all the modules that I did not need.

This reduced the rate of lowmem decline from approximately 1 meg per
minute, to approximately 133 kilobytes per minute.

This, while not ideal, is a huge improvement that at least lets me
spend days worrying about something else besides this server hanging
up.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/