I've tried sending this to the apcupsd group but the moderator sent it
back with a note to "rtfm". Which of course I did long before I sent the
query.

Anyone willing to give some advice?

Here is what the terminal output looks like; notice that the issue is
Port 3551; I have modified various settings to allow apcupsd access to
the port, but receive notification that FATAL ERROR in apcaccess.c at
line 41 exists and stops the process.

root@dave-desktop:/home/dave# apcaccess status
FATAL ERROR in apcaccess.c at line 41
tcp_open: cannot connect to server localhost on port 3551.
ERR=Connection refused
root@dave-desktop:/home/dave# open port 3551
root@dave-desktop:/home/dave# gedit /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.con
root@dave-desktop:/home/dave# apcaccess status
FATAL ERROR in apcaccess.c at line 41
tcp_open: cannot connect to server localhost on port 3551.
ERR=Connection refused
root@dave-desktop:/home/dave# apctest

2008-07-16 10:46:27 apctest 3.14.2 (15 September 2007) debian
Checking configuration ...
Attached to driver: usb
sharenet.type = DISABLE
cable.type = CUSTOM_SMART

You are using a SMART cable type, so I'm entering SMART test mode
mode.type = USB_UPS
Setting up the port ...
apctest FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 604
Cannot find UPS device --
For a link to detailed USB trouble shooting information,
please see .
apctest error termination completed