Niiiiice! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Niiiiice! - Ubuntu ; Evening all Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to get ...

  1. Niiiiice!

    Evening all

    Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first
    time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those
    Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to
    get my printer working. Oh well, I'll just stick the cable in and see
    what happens..."

    5 minutes later...

    "Oh look, there's the document I just typed using my free software on my
    free operating system which happens to be 100 times more stable than
    Windows and it's just come out the printer that took me a few minutes to
    configure without even having a driver disk to hand".

    "I love Ubuntu", I shouted to a bemused office.

    Love, light and peace,

    --
    Andy Jacobs

  2. Re: Niiiiice!

    Andy Jacobs illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Evening all
    >
    > Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first
    > time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those
    > Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to
    > get my printer working. Oh well, I'll just stick the cable in and see
    > what happens..."
    >
    > 5 minutes later...
    >
    > "Oh look, there's the document I just typed using my free software on my
    > free operating system which happens to be 100 times more stable than
    > Windows and it's just come out the printer that took me a few minutes to
    > configure without even having a driver disk to hand".
    >
    > "I love Ubuntu", I shouted to a bemused office.
    >
    > Love, light and peace,

    You're preaching to the converted Andy.

    I recently installed one of those Bluetooth dongles onto my Ubuntu
    Dektop machine...

    You know the type of dongle that raises a
    "Caution - Do not Plug in before you install the software on the CD
    FIRST sticker emblazoned over the box, your box, the dongle, your
    forehead, the screen and the Large Mexican Flag in Cancun".

    (Warning - Comparison ahead. It's not for the faint hearted)

    So...in you pop the supplied CD in your windows box. You click install
    and you get

    Warning...warning. Driver not verified. You naughty bastard. Imagine
    having the audacity to pop in a driver CD for the hardware you
    legitimately bought...fecknuckle.
    OK. Feel brave? Click the "Install anyway ---- You ain't telling me
    what I can do with my legitimately bought dongle on my legitimately
    bought machine with my hyper-expensive Vista "King of New York"
    edition"
    Then you get a "Windows is creating a restore point that is neither
    use nor ornament unless your a piece of shaggy spyware that can hide
    in it"

    Phew....30 minutes later, you need to reboot. Nearly there.

    Aaah...bugger. The driver is conflicting with the serial port. There's
    a windows KB article about it. SEE....that warning wasn't for nothing
    you goggle-head.

    Disable serial port. Reboot again. Yes. A trickle of a bluetooth
    connection.
    You can wipe that sweat from your brow now.

    In Ubuntu...Hello...I'm here...there's an Icon up there, right where
    they normally appear. Just play around with me for five seconds until
    you get everything connected. Done that? The pub's that way ---->

    This bloody linux really pisses off. ;-)

    --
    "I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the exterminator." ~
    Emo Philips

  3. Re: Niiiiice!

    Andy Jacobs wrote:
    > Evening all
    >
    > Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first
    > time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those
    > Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to
    > get my printer working. Oh well, I'll just stick the cable in and see
    > what happens..."
    >
    > 5 minutes later...
    >
    > "Oh look, there's the document I just typed using my free software on my
    > free operating system which happens to be 100 times more stable than
    > Windows and it's just come out the printer that took me a few minutes to
    > configure without even having a driver disk to hand".
    >
    > "I love Ubuntu", I shouted to a bemused office.
    >
    > Love, light and peace,

    Andy,
    For you I am happy.
    Against all fear and common sense, I recently purchased a Canon MP610.
    I first plugged it into my (other OS) laptop and printed documents and
    pictures. No installation. No configuration. No problem. Just run.

    Now I want to also use the Canon with ubuntu 7.10. I found this article...
    I found http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...rinting_ubuntu
    This article gave me hope.
    Then I pulled up Printer Configuration Tool. The next step was to load
    the PPD file ( ppd[.gz] also acceptable ). Since I have the CDrom that
    came with the MP610, I continued to hope. (for at least ten minutes)

    Now if some kind person could point me to a ppd file for MP610.
    Charles

  4. Re: Niiiiice!

    On 2008-07-22, Andy Jacobs wrote:
    > Evening all
    >
    > Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first
    > time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those
    > Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to
    > get my printer working. Oh well, I'll just stick the cable in and see
    > what happens..."
    >
    > 5 minutes later...
    >
    > "Oh look, there's the document I just typed using my free software on my
    > free operating system which happens to be 100 times more stable than
    > Windows and it's just come out the printer that took me a few minutes to
    > configure without even having a driver disk to hand".

    The CUPS printing system is a very nice subsystem in Linux and works great.
    I had the same experience with both Fedora and Ubuntu.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Niiiiice!

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Andy,
    > For you I am happy.
    > Against all fear and common sense, I recently purchased a Canon MP610.
    > I first plugged it into my (other OS) laptop and printed documents and
    > pictures. No installation. No configuration. No problem. Just run.

    > Now I want to also use the Canon with ubuntu 7.10. I found this article...
    > I found http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...rinting_ubuntu
    > This article gave me hope.
    > Then I pulled up Printer Configuration Tool. The next step was to load
    > the PPD file ( ppd[.gz] also acceptable ). Since I have the CDrom that
    > came with the MP610, I continued to hope. (for at least ten minutes)

    > Now if some kind person could point me to a ppd file for MP610.
    > Charles

    Is it called Pixma? If yes, look here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=210977
    and here: http://mp610.blogspot.com/

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  6. Re: Niiiiice!

    charles cashion wrote:

    > Against all fear and common sense, I recently purchased a Canon MP610.

    All in one, Pixma MP610

    > Now if some kind person could point me to a ppd file for MP610.

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=210977 Pixma
    MP600/MP610 PPDs & scanner driver - A collection of enhanced PPD files for
    Canon Pixma MP600 and MP610 all-in-one printers, and a Sane scanner driver
    for Canon Pixma MP140, MP210, MP520, MP610, MP710, MX700 for up to 4800
    dpi resolution, that can be used with Sane 1.0.18 or 1.0.19.

    http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/ne...re-printing.ht
    ml Canon gave a kick to those printers by providing drivers for MP600
    (which worked for MP610), and recently, drivers for the MP610 printers. --
    So here is the good news: a set of new PPD files I've prepared, which
    enhances original Canon ones, and provide many additional parameters to
    the standard printing dialog.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Niiiiice!

    Mike Easter wrote:

    [some links]

    It seems we use the same google. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Niklaus

  8. Re: Niiiiice!

    In article <3dGdnfF_QvI_7RvVnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >> [some links]
    >>
    >> It seems we use the same google. ;-)

    >I remember a long time ago when my fave search engine was dogpile :-)
    >
    >When I first started looking, I tho't he said mp160, which I recently
    >found linux drivers for at canon.asia but not at canon.us

    Yes, that's worth an extra note on actually.
    When I bought my epson printer, I searched for the model number and found
    almost nothing on it. Turns out that model numbers may well be different in
    different areas of the world while being, underneath it all, the same
    printer.
    I guess it's a power supply compatability thing (among other things ?) ...
    but it does not help when looking for drivers or 'how to's. Suggest looking
    for a similar model number if yours isn't obvious.
    Similary, a newer printer can often pose as an older model number instead of
    the 'real' printer. Printers are often little different from the previous
    models.

  9. Re: Niiiiice!

    found linux drivers for at canon.asia but not at canon.us

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Niiiiice!

    charles cashion wrote in

    > Now if some kind person could point me to a ppd file for MP610.
    > Charles

    Hmmm...

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=canon+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    &aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a

    Looked at a couple. These look promisin

    http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/ne...roviding-more-
    printing.html

    http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/#canon

    Have fun

  11. Re: Niiiiice!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:16:34 -0500, Andy Jacobs wrote:

    > Evening all
    >
    > Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first
    > time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those
    > Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to
    > get my printer working. Oh well, I'll just stick the cable in and see
    > what happens..."
    >
    > 5 minutes later...
    >
    > "Oh look, there's the document I just typed using my free software on my
    > free operating system which happens to be 100 times more stable than
    > Windows and it's just come out the printer that took me a few minutes to
    > configure without even having a driver disk to hand".
    >
    > "I love Ubuntu", I shouted to a bemused office.
    >
    > Love, light and peace,

    Lucky for you. I have an HP LaserJet 1020. I need to use foo2zjs, which
    comes with ubuntu - but doesn't have the firmware. And in my case theres
    a bug that requires me to edit the source (and so far I'm the only one
    who gets it, probably something wierd with the printer itself).

    So yea. I get to create a metapackage to fool ubuntu into thinking
    foo2zjs is installed, remove theirs, download (and edit, and build)
    foo2zjs from the actual author, and THEN I get my printer.

    I love how the author of foo2zjs explicitly states on his page NOT to use
    the packages that come with your distro. That's never a good sign.

  12. Re: Niiiiice!

    On 2008-07-22, Andy Jacobs wrote:
    > Evening all
    >
    > Needed to print something from my Ubuntu laptop today for the first
    > time. "Hmmm", thought I, "After reading the posts from all those
    > Windows experts slagging off Linux, I bet it's going to take me days to
    > get my printer working. Oh well, I'll just stick the cable in and see
    > what happens..."
    >
    > 5 minutes later...
    >
    > "Oh look, there's the document I just typed using my free software on my
    > free operating system which happens to be 100 times more stable than
    > Windows and it's just come out the printer that took me a few minutes to
    > configure without even having a driver disk to hand".
    >
    > "I love Ubuntu", I shouted to a bemused office.

    Ms Penguin here. Look us Penguins network right down to our Tuxs. Our
    ancestors networked. Networking is just second nature.

    Plug something into the network and Linux sees it, and can start talking to
    it in about 2mins. Ms Windows is so fussy, and often she has no idea whats
    on the network.

    Also remember that people who write open source software do so with the main
    aim of it working well, or make it better.

  13. Re: Niiiiice!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:16:34 -0500, Andy Jacobs wrote:

    Dontcha just love it?!?!