vim :help with 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on vim :help with 7.10 - Ubuntu ; I just installed ubuntu 7.10 (ubuntu then ran about 200 updates) If I enter vim at a terminal, it indicates that the vim version is 7.1.56. While in vim, if :help is entered, it indicates that "vim-runtime" is (a) not ...

  1. vim :help with 7.10

    I just installed ubuntu 7.10
    (ubuntu then ran about 200 updates)
    If I enter vim at a terminal, it indicates
    that the vim version is 7.1.56.
    While in vim, if :help is entered, it
    indicates that "vim-runtime" is (a) not
    present; (b) is installed with all full
    versions of vim.

    side note: I do not remember the installation
    asking if I wanted "vim-runtime".

    I have googled "ubuntu vim-runtime" and it
    appears to include perl, python, tcl, and a
    couple of other languages. I am not excited
    about including things I might never use.
    packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/editors/vim-runtime

    Q1: Any recommendations regarding where to
    download vim-runtime ?

    Charles

  2. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I just installed ubuntu 7.10
    > (ubuntu then ran about 200 updates)
    > If I enter vim at a terminal, it indicates
    > that the vim version is 7.1.56.
    > While in vim, if :help is entered, it
    > indicates that "vim-runtime" is (a) not
    > present; (b) is installed with all full
    > versions of vim.
    >
    > side note: I do not remember the installation
    > asking if I wanted "vim-runtime".
    >
    > I have googled "ubuntu vim-runtime" and it
    > appears to include perl, python, tcl, and a
    > couple of other languages. I am not excited
    > about including things I might never use.
    > packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/editors/vim-runtime
    >
    > Q1: Any recommendations regarding where to
    > download vim-runtime ?
    >
    > Charles

    another gentleman has answered this one
    # sudo apt-get install vim-runtime
    Tnx
    --cc

  3. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    charles cashion wrote:
    > another gentleman has answered this one
    > # sudo apt-get install vim-runtime

    or better
    $ sudo apt-get install vim

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  4. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    charles cashion illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I just installed ubuntu 7.10
    > (ubuntu then ran about 200 updates)
    > If I enter vim at a terminal, it indicates
    > that the vim version is 7.1.56.
    > While in vim, if :help is entered, it
    > indicates that "vim-runtime" is (a) not
    > present; (b) is installed with all full
    > versions of vim.
    >
    > side note: I do not remember the installation
    > asking if I wanted "vim-runtime".
    >
    > I have googled "ubuntu vim-runtime" and it
    > appears to include perl, python, tcl, and a
    > couple of other languages. I am not excited
    > about including things I might never use.
    > packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/editors/vim-runtime
    >
    > Q1: Any recommendations regarding where to
    > download vim-runtime ?

    Have you got.
    "vim-tiny" installed?

    If so, install, "vim-full" or even "vim"

    sudo apt-get install

    The ubuntu dev team are nano fans. Which at least beats the **** out
    of them glorifying Emacs (it's an OS by itself, dontcha know?)

    Ugghh...

    Anyway. Install any piece of vim stuff you manage to come across in
    Synaptic. It'll take up about the same amount of diskspace that this
    message takes up...

    Then just simply enjoy. ;-)

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return

  5. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    Moog wrote:
    > charles cashion illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I just installed ubuntu 7.10
    >> (ubuntu then ran about 200 updates)
    >> If I enter vim at a terminal, it indicates
    >> that the vim version is 7.1.56.
    >> While in vim, if :help is entered, it
    >> indicates that "vim-runtime" is (a) not
    >> present; (b) is installed with all full
    >> versions of vim.
    >>
    >> side note: I do not remember the installation
    >> asking if I wanted "vim-runtime".
    >>
    >> I have googled "ubuntu vim-runtime" and it
    >> appears to include perl, python, tcl, and a
    >> couple of other languages. I am not excited
    >> about including things I might never use.
    >> packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/editors/vim-runtime
    >>
    >> Q1: Any recommendations regarding where to
    >> download vim-runtime ?

    > Have you got.
    > "vim-tiny" installed?
    >
    > If so, install, "vim-full" or even "vim"
    >
    > sudo apt-get install
    >
    > The ubuntu dev team are nano fans. Which at least beats the **** out
    > of them glorifying Emacs (it's an OS by itself, dontcha know?)
    >
    > Ugghh...
    >
    > Anyway. Install any piece of vim stuff you manage to come across in
    > Synaptic. It'll take up about the same amount of diskspace that this
    > message takes up...
    >
    > Then just simply enjoy. ;-)

    So... I've been using vi since that's what I used when I learned about
    Linux only a couple years ago.
    What am I missing, not using vim?
    It's not like I'm writing code or anything. Mostly fixing xorg.conf or
    tweaking sources.list or jacking around fstab.
    Is vim better than vi for this stuff?

  6. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:15:39 -0700, clay wrote:

    > What am I missing, not using vim?

    http://www.vim.org/viusers.php

  7. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    clay wrote:

    > So... I've been using vi since that's what I used when I learned about
    > Linux only a couple years ago.
    > What am I missing, not using vim?
    > It's not like I'm writing code or anything. Mostly fixing xorg.conf or
    > tweaking sources.list or jacking around fstab.
    > Is vim better than vi for this stuff?

    Is there any vi in Ubuntu? I don't see any.

    --
    Niklaus

  8. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:25:35 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > clay wrote:
    >
    >> So... I've been using vi since that's what I used when I learned about
    >> Linux only a couple years ago.
    >> What am I missing, not using vim?
    >> It's not like I'm writing code or anything. Mostly fixing xorg.conf or
    >> tweaking sources.list or jacking around fstab.
    >> Is vim better than vi for this stuff?

    > Is there any vi in Ubuntu? I don't see any.

    in name only

    trevor@leoben:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/vi
    lrwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 20 2003-01-01 03:00 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi
    trevor@leoben:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi
    lrwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 17 2003-01-01 02:59 /etc/alternatives/vi -> /usr/bin/vim.tiny

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  9. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    Thomas Jespersen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:15:39 -0700, clay wrote:
    >

    >> What am I missing, not using vim?

    > http://www.vim.org/viusers.php

    Yes. What that says.

    --
    "I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was
    responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was

  10. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    On 2008-07-23, Trevor Best hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:25:35 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >
    >> clay wrote:
    >>
    >>> So... I've been using vi since that's what I used when I learned about
    >>> Linux only a couple years ago.
    >>> What am I missing, not using vim?
    >>> It's not like I'm writing code or anything. Mostly fixing xorg.conf or
    >>> tweaking sources.list or jacking around fstab.
    >>> Is vim better than vi for this stuff?

    >> Is there any vi in Ubuntu? I don't see any.

    > in name only

    correct but I installed the "full package" via "synaptic" as
    I use "SLRN" as my newsreader, and I have set it up to use
    "vi" as the editor of my choice. I guess it comes from the
    fact that on on of my slow Laptops (Slackware 3,1 or so) I
    used only vi. Know only about the most basic short-cuts
    'cause I don't do coding either..

    > trevor@leoben:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/vi
    > lrwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 20 2003-01-01 03:00 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi
    > trevor@leoben:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi
    > lrwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 17 2003-01-01 02:59 /etc/alternatives/vi -> /usr/bin/vim.tiny

    Dragomir Kollaric

  11. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > correct but I installed the "full package" via "synaptic" as
    > I use "SLRN" as my newsreader, and I have set it up to use
    > "vi" as the editor of my choice.

    So you have a vi in /usr/bin that is a binary, not a link?

    --
    Niklaus

  12. Re: vim :help with 7.10

    On 2008-07-28, Niklaus Kuehnis hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> correct but I installed the "full package" via "synaptic" as
    >> I use "SLRN" as my newsreader, and I have set it up to use
    >> "vi" as the editor of my choice.

    > So you have a vi in /usr/bin that is a binary, not a link?

    ls -l /usr/bin/vi (vi*) reveals the following:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-05-10 15:58 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2008-05-10 15:58 /usr/bin/vim -> /etc/alternatives/vim

    looks as a link too. Never bothered to find out, as
    every-time when I called vim to its task it never failed. Of
    course I did the install pretty soon after I had the whole
    system setup, as I said I'm using it for a long time.

    Dragomir Kollaric