Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft! - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:24:02 -0400, DFS wrote: > Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the world's > most usable Linux. > http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org > > > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:24:02 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the world's
    > most usable Linux.
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
    >

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    Only a week?

    Some people spend MONTHS trying to get Linux to work properly...

    Others never get Linux working and dump it. This is the most frequent
    outcome of trying Linux.

    It's a good thing Linux is free, but you know how that goes:

    Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week!Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:59:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:24:02 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the
    >> world's most usable Linux.
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
    >>

    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > Only a week?
    >
    > Some people spend MONTHS trying to get Linux to work properly...
    >
    > Others never get Linux working and dump it. This is the most frequent
    > outcome of trying Linux.

    ... at least that's what you hope.

    > It's a good thing Linux is free, but you know how that goes:
    >
    > Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    Another piece of dishonest FUD from flatfarb.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:44:20 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:59:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:24:02 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the
    >>> world's most usable Linux.
    >>> http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
    >>>

    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >>> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> Only a week?
    >>
    >> Some people spend MONTHS trying to get Linux to work properly...
    >>
    >> Others never get Linux working and dump it. This is the most frequent
    >> outcome of trying Linux.

    > .. at least that's what you hope.

    No..That's what I know....

    http://neverendinginternet.wordpress...-took-a-month/

    >> It's a good thing Linux is free, but you know how that goes:
    >>
    >> Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    > Another piece of dishonest FUD from flatfarb.

    See above...
    Now back to your viper pit Rick...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week!Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:54:33 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:44:20 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> Only a week?
    >>>
    >>> Some people spend MONTHS trying to get Linux to work properly...
    >>>
    >>> Others never get Linux working and dump it. This is the most frequent
    >>> outcome of trying Linux.

    >> .. at least that's what you hope.

    > No..That's what I know....
    >
    > http://neverendinginternet.wordpress...t-only-took-a-

    month/

    Where is the dumping part? And how is that the "most frequent" outcome?

    >>> It's a good thing Linux is free, but you know how that goes:
    >>>
    >>> Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    >> Another piece of dishonest FUD from flatfarb.

    > See above...
    > Now back to your viper pit Rick...

    Another piece of dishonest FUD from flatfarb.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On 2008-07-22, Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:59:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:24:02 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the
    >>> world's most usable Linux.
    >>> http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
    >>>

    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >>> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> Only a week?
    >>
    >> Some people spend MONTHS trying to get Linux to work properly...

    If they have some sort of hardware support issue then it's either
    a matter of it working or not. "months" simply don't factor into it.

    [deletia]

    It either works right away and automagically in a manner far far
    more robust and easy than Windows or it doesn't work at all.

    It has always been this way.

    Fortunately, you could always try Linux for free.

    These days, you can just use a LiveCD and check things out
    from there. You don't even have to disturb your running system.

    Trying Linux is cost free and risk free. So you don't have to
    second guess about your particular hardware or pay attention to
    any part of the peanut gallery.

    You can make up your own mind...

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  6. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:02:18 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:54:33 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> .. at least that's what you hope.

    >> No..That's what I know....
    >>
    >> http://neverendinginternet.wordpress...t-only-took-a-

    > month/
    >
    > Where is the dumping part? And how is that the "most frequent" outcome?

    Look at the usual press when a new Linux distribution gets released...
    Stuff like : 8million downloads in 2 weeks etc....
    Same for OpenOffice.

    And that very well may be true.

    However, now look at the statistics for people who are actually USING
    desktop Linux.

    If those very same downloads were being used for any length of time, Linux
    would have buried Microsoft by now.

    it hasn't....

    People try Linux.
    People dump Linux very quickly.
    It happens all the time.

    Use your head for a change Rick..

    >>> Another piece of dishonest FUD from flatfarb.

    >> See above...
    >> Now back to your viper pit Rick...

    > Another piece of dishonest FUD from flatfarb.

    I just proved you wrong on all counts Rick, but you'll come back with some
    asinine reply that makes no sense or extends the goal posts which is why I
    rarely reply to your tripe much anymore.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week!Take that Microsoft!

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-07-22, Rick wrote:

    >>> Only a week?
    >>>
    >>> Some people spend MONTHS trying to get Linux to work properly...

    > If they have some sort of hardware support issue then it's either
    > a matter of it working or not. "months" simply don't factor into it.
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > It either works right away and automagically in a manner far far
    > more robust and easy than Windows or it doesn't work at all.
    >
    > It has always been this way.
    >
    > Fortunately, you could always try Linux for free.
    >
    > These days, you can just use a LiveCD and check things out
    > from there. You don't even have to disturb your running system.
    >
    > Trying Linux is cost free and risk free. So you don't have to
    > second guess about your particular hardware or pay attention to
    > any part of the peanut gallery.
    >
    > You can make up your own mind...

    I've never really seen a live CD as a fair trial. My only use of them so
    far has been to play chess while installing the OS from the live CD.

    They're slow, don't have full functionality, and leave the person
    thinking that's what the full product might be like if they know
    absolutely nothing about Linux.

    Live CDs as a trial as pretty much the same thing as giving someone last
    week's leftovers as a try before you buy. at a Deli or something.

  8. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Look at the usual press when a new Linux distribution gets released...
    > Stuff like : 8million downloads in 2 weeks etc....
    > Same for OpenOffice.
    >
    > And that very well may be true.
    >
    > However, now look at the statistics for people who are actually USING
    > desktop Linux.
    >
    > If those very same downloads were being used for any length of time,
    > Linux would have buried Microsoft by now.

    Well, no. If 8 million folks are using Linux, out of 1 billion desktop
    installation, that's about right.

    By some estimates, there are about 8 million truely insane people on the
    globe. There is some disagreement about the overlap between these two
    groups.

  9. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:11:03 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> Look at the usual press when a new Linux distribution gets released...
    >> Stuff like : 8million downloads in 2 weeks etc....
    >> Same for OpenOffice.
    >>
    >> And that very well may be true.
    >>
    >> However, now look at the statistics for people who are actually USING
    >> desktop Linux.
    >>
    >> If those very same downloads were being used for any length of time,
    >> Linux would have buried Microsoft by now.

    > Well, no. If 8 million folks are using Linux, out of 1 billion desktop
    > installation, that's about right.
    >
    > By some estimates, there are about 8 million truely insane people on the
    > globe. There is some disagreement about the overlap between these two
    > groups.

    The 8 million was figurtively speaking for ONE release and a short period
    of time.

    Add them all together, IOW the reported downloads by ALL the distributions
    releasing press about their latest creation.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    * HeyBub peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Well, no. If 8 million folks are using Linux, out of 1 billion desktop
    > installation, that's about right.
    >
    > By some estimates, there are about 8 million truely insane people on the
    > globe. There is some disagreement about the overlap between these two
    > groups.

    Idiot.

    --
    And yet, seasons must be taken with a grain of salt, for they too have
    a sense of humor, as does history. Corn stalks comedy, comedy stalks

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    On the contrary.

    If your time has no value, you spend it trolling Linux newsgroups on Usenet.

    Unless, of course, you are *paid* by a sponsor who is so *frightened by the
    threat of Linux* that it makes it worth his while to protect himself by
    paying you to troll.

    That's the fact of the matter.

  12. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:12:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I've never really seen a live CD as a fair trial. My only use of them so
    >> far has been to play chess while installing the OS from the live CD.
    >>
    >> They're slow, don't have full functionality, and leave the person
    >> thinking that's what the full product might be like if they know
    >> absolutely nothing about Linux.
    >>
    >> Live CDs as a trial as pretty much the same thing as giving someone last
    >> week's leftovers as a try before you buy. at a Deli or something.

    > I've noticed you're kind of a down-in-the-mouth guy about things Linux.

    Translation:

    You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to the
    Roy Schestowitz station.

    Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    offered you Linonut?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:12:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> I've never really seen a live CD as a fair trial. My only use of them so
    >>> far has been to play chess while installing the OS from the live CD.
    >>>
    >>> They're slow, don't have full functionality, and leave the person
    >>> thinking that's what the full product might be like if they know
    >>> absolutely nothing about Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Live CDs as a trial as pretty much the same thing as giving someone last
    >>> week's leftovers as a try before you buy. at a Deli or something.

    >> I've noticed you're kind of a down-in-the-mouth guy about things Linux.

    > Translation:
    >
    > You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to the
    > Roy Schestowitz station.
    >
    > Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    > offered you Linonut?

    I call it the "Schestowitz shilling" where "shilling" has a double
    meaning. Quite clever I think *brag*.

    --
    "**** you, you lying bitch. "
    -- Rick in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  14. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:36:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:12:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I've noticed you're kind of a down-in-the-mouth guy about things Linux.

    >> Translation:
    >>
    >> You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to the
    >> Roy Schestowitz station.
    >>
    >> Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    >> offered you Linonut?

    > I call it the "Schestowitz shilling" where "shilling" has a double
    > meaning. Quite clever I think *brag*.

    Good one!!
    Very creative in fact!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:49:48 -0400
    <1tts9auingks3.196e4gp24tbjc$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:36:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Translation:
    >>>
    >>> You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to the
    >>> Roy Schestowitz station.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    >>> offered you Linonut?

    >> I call it the "Schestowitz shilling" where "shilling" has a double
    >> meaning. Quite clever I think *brag*.

    > Good one!!
    > Very creative in fact!

    Mmmm....the Simon Bar Sinister approach. Are we all supposed to have
    hats with blinking lights on, too?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- There's no need to fear...Underdog is here!
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.

  16. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week!Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:36:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:12:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I've noticed you're kind of a down-in-the-mouth guy about things
    >>> Linux.

    >> Translation:
    >>
    >> You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to
    >> the Roy Schestowitz station.
    >>
    >> Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    >> offered you Linonut?

    > I call it the "Schestowitz shilling" where "shilling" has a double
    > meaning. Quite clever I think *brag*.

    There are six flavors of quark; of these, you might be any of down,
    strange, or bottom. Whichever it may be, the meaning is obvious. No
    cleverness required.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  17. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week!Take that Microsoft!

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:59:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    Then it's just what you need!

  18. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, skydweller

    wrote
    on 22 Jul 2008 18:17:09 GMT
    <48862425$0$5023$607ed4bc@cv.net>:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:36:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Translation:
    >>>
    >>> You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to
    >>> the Roy Schestowitz station.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    >>> offered you Linonut?

    >> I call it the "Schestowitz shilling" where "shilling" has a double
    >> meaning. Quite clever I think *brag*.

    > There are six flavors of quark; of these, you might be any of down,
    > strange, or bottom. Whichever it may be, the meaning is obvious. No
    > cleverness required.

    I dunno; I think Hadron's a little more massive than a
    subatomic particle. :-P

    (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark)

    Generation Weak Flavor Name Symbol Charge Mass
    Isospin (e) (MeV/c^2)
    1 +1/2 I_z=+1/2 Up u +2/3 1.5 – 4.0
    1 -1/2 I_z=-1/2 Down d -1/3 4 – 8
    2 +1/2 C=1 Charm c +2/3 1150 – 1350
    2 -1/2 S=-1 Strange s -1/3 80 – 130
    3 +1/2 T=1 Top t +2/3 170900 +/- 1800
    3 -1/2 B'=-1 Bottom b -1/3 4100 – 4400

    For purposes of comparison 1 kg = about 5.60959 * 10^29 MeV/c^2,
    which is far more than even the OhMyGod particle, which was
    apparently about 3 * 10^14 MeV -- or 51 joules, about the
    same energy as a thrown baseball.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-h...rgy_cosmic_ray

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

  19. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week!Take that Microsoft!

    skydweller wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:36:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Translation:
    >>>
    >>> You don't have your tinfoil suit on and have your antenna's tuned to
    >>> the Roy Schestowitz station.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe Roy Schestowitz will offer Ben the same deal he has apparently
    >>> offered you Linonut?

    >> I call it the "Schestowitz shilling" where "shilling" has a double
    >> meaning. Quite clever I think *brag*.

    > There are six flavors of quark; of these, you might be any of down,
    > strange, or bottom. Whichever it may be, the meaning is obvious. No
    > cleverness required.

    He's not any of those. There is also the Hadron Collider. The collider
    fits better.
    caver1

  20. Re: Get the "world's most usable Linux" working in only a week! Take that Microsoft!

    Ben wrote in news:g650jk$fsr$2@news.mixmin.net:

    > I've never really seen a live CD as a fair trial. My only use of them so
    > far has been to play chess while installing the OS from the live CD.
    >
    > They're slow, don't have full functionality, and leave the person
    > thinking that's what the full product might be like if they know
    > absolutely nothing about Linux.

    Two thoughts on this....

    1) The main reason to try a LiveCD is to make sure your hardware is
    detected and functions.......

    and 2) "Full" functionality ? Other than printers, what is there that a
    typical user doesn't get booting a LiveCD ? (Not saying there isn't
    anything else, just not sure what it could be.)

    OK....3 things.....and 3) If anyone would expect anything running
    completely from a CD to be 'THE' way it runs installed, speed wise, they
    shouldn't even be using a PC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast