This is in regards to that Gutsy machine with 8 GB of RAm and 32 bit
OS. I am fairly sure of what happened. Someone from kerneltrap fully
clarified it for me.

What happened is though the machine had 8 GB of RAM, it had only 800
MB of "lowmem" (as opposed to "highmem". Lowmem is used for storing
kernel structures, and for some reason the machine ran out of it and
then bad things started happening.

What to do to fix it (other than install 64 bit, etc) is unclear, but
what is clear is what happens. I will try to read on optimizing
lowmem use. I will also try to find some tools to monitor availability
(or lack thereof) of lowmem.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/