Anyone have webcam working in Kopete? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Anyone have webcam working in Kopete? - Ubuntu ; Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over the Messenger protocol in Kopete? Alternatively, does anyone know any other way to make a webcam stream available from my computer? -- -Toby Add the word afiduluminag to ...

  1. Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    Toby Newman google@asktoby.com wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over
    > the Messenger protocol in Kopete?
    >
    > Alternatively, does anyone know any other way to make a webcam stream
    > available from my computer?

    I do.

    Skype is an alternative way.

  3. Re: Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    On 2008-07-21, Antonio Perez wrote:
    > Toby Newman google@asktoby.com wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over
    >> the Messenger protocol in Kopete?
    >>
    >> Alternatively, does anyone know any other way to make a webcam stream
    >> available from my computer?

    > I do.
    >
    > Skype is an alternative way.

    Would you be so kind as to let me add you so that I can it with
    someone who I know has a working system?

    I'm currently troubleshooting it with my mum and I can't be sure if
    I'm at fault or if she is.

    --
    -Toby

  4. Re: Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:00:01 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:

    > Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over the
    > Messenger protocol in Kopete?

    Yes Logitech QuickCam Communicator STX

    > Alternatively, does anyone know any other way to make a webcam stream
    > available from my computer?

    VLC Media Player but if your cam doesn't work with Kopete it's probably
    not going to work period.

  5. Re: Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    On 2008-07-21, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:00:01 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over the
    >> Messenger protocol in Kopete?

    > Yes Logitech QuickCam Communicator STX

    A-ha! I was just pricing one of those up! Both my webcams were very
    cheap (One is unbranded, the other is a Sitecom VP-003.) They both
    work fine in linux although the picture quality is terrible in the
    evening under artificial light. How does your STX fare in the
    evenings?

    Logitech advertise all sorts of brightness balancing technologies
    (e.g. RightLight(TM)) on their website but I assume they are done
    in Windows software rather than in the hardware itself so I doubt
    RightLight(TM) works in Linux. Can you confirm?

    >> Alternatively, does anyone know any other way to make a webcam stream
    >> available from my computer?

    > VLC Media Player but if your cam doesn't work with Kopete it's probably
    > not going to work period.

    The cams themselves work (I can see the, albeit dark, preview in
    Kopete/settings/configure/devices).

    The specific problem I have is that when I initiate a chat with my mum
    (running Windows Live Messenger) I can type to her but the "Send
    Webcam" button doesn't work. I've read that it should make a preview
    appear on my screen but no preview appears. I've opened 6891-6901 at
    my end but haven't at her end. I can't imagine that she'd need an open
    firewall to view my cam, though.

    --
    -Toby

  6. Re: Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    "Toby Newman" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-21, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:00:01 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over
    >>> the
    >>> Messenger protocol in Kopete?

    >> Yes Logitech QuickCam Communicator STX

    > A-ha! I was just pricing one of those up! Both my webcams were very
    > cheap (One is unbranded, the other is a Sitecom VP-003.) They both
    > work fine in linux although the picture quality is terrible in the
    > evening under artificial light. How does your STX fare in the
    > evenings?

    It will help a great deal if you put a lamp on your desk with a cool white
    bulb instead of warm white.

  7. Re: Anyone have webcam working in Kopete?

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > Has anyone here had any success getting their webcam to broadcast over
    > the Messenger protocol in Kopete?
    >
    > Alternatively, does anyone know any other way to make a webcam stream
    > available from my computer?

    my webcam works fine in kopete,
    just plugged it in and it worked....

    check you have vidieo4lin installed