install thunderbird - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on install thunderbird - Ubuntu ; After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz I think the installer did it's job. Not sure which executable to run, but the only two that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing. I have ...

  1. install thunderbird

    After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried
    to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz
    I think the installer did it's job.
    Not sure which executable to run, but the only two
    that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing.

    I have tried to google for
    "simple step-by-step thunderbird installation"
    but I have failed to find it.
    QUESTION1: is there a simple thunderbird installation?

    In my previous installation, there existed
    /home/ccashion/.thunderbird
    QUESTION2: Would running setup create this
    subdirectory and the associated profile?
    QUESTION3: What is the name of the setup?

    Thank you,
    Charles

  2. Re: install thunderbird

    Thunderbird is part of Ubuntu distribution and should be downloaded
    from the repository where the rest ofubuntu resides.

    you need to open Programs/Accessories/terminal

    and type

    sudo aptitude -y install thunderbird

    You can do the same thing by starting System/Administration/Synaptic
    package manager and searching for Thunderbird there.

    On 2008-07-21, charles cashion wrote:
    > After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried
    > to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz
    > I think the installer did it's job.
    > Not sure which executable to run, but the only two
    > that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing.
    >
    > I have tried to google for
    > "simple step-by-step thunderbird installation"
    > but I have failed to find it.
    > QUESTION1: is there a simple thunderbird installation?
    >
    > In my previous installation, there existed
    > /home/ccashion/.thunderbird
    > QUESTION2: Would running setup create this
    > subdirectory and the associated profile?
    > QUESTION3: What is the name of the setup?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Charles

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: install thunderbird

    charles cashion wrote:
    > After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried
    > to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz
    > I think the installer did it's job.
    > Not sure which executable to run, but the only two
    > that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing.
    >
    > I have tried to google for
    > "simple step-by-step thunderbird installation"
    > but I have failed to find it.
    > QUESTION1: is there a simple thunderbird installation?
    >
    > In my previous installation, there existed
    > /home/ccashion/.thunderbird
    > QUESTION2: Would running setup create this
    > subdirectory and the associated profile?
    > QUESTION3: What is the name of the setup?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Charles

    You can find T-Bird in Applications / Add/Remove.

    Alias

  4. Re: install thunderbird

    charles cashion wrote:
    > After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried
    > to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz
    > I think the installer did it's job.
    > Not sure which executable to run, but the only two
    > that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing.
    >
    > I have tried to google for
    > "simple step-by-step thunderbird installation"
    > but I have failed to find it.
    > QUESTION1: is there a simple thunderbird installation?
    >
    > In my previous installation, there existed
    > /home/ccashion/.thunderbird
    > QUESTION2: Would running setup create this
    > subdirectory and the associated profile?
    > QUESTION3: What is the name of the setup?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Charles

    apt/synaptic.

  5. Re: install thunderbird

    i,
    good info.
    It worked! THANKS!
    Now I have a new problem.
    Everytime I bring up the address book,
    Thunderbird crashes.

    The reason I installed ubuntu was because FC4
    kept crashing. FC4 crashed at unpredictable times.
    Now... ubuntu 7.10 crashes when I open Thunderbird
    and access the address book.

    I have searched alt.os.linux.ubuntu to see if this
    is a known problem (no luck). I wonder if I could
    catch this bugger in the act and ... and ... what?

    My alternative is to run memory diagnostics and
    cpu diagnostics and hard drive diagnostics. and you
    get the picture.I am hoping that this desktop is
    still ok if I fix one thing.
    Charles

    Ignoramus14558 wrote:
    > Thunderbird is part of Ubuntu distribution and should be downloaded
    > from the repository where the rest ofubuntu resides.
    >
    > you need to open Programs/Accessories/terminal
    >
    > and type
    >
    > sudo aptitude -y install thunderbird
    >
    > You can do the same thing by starting System/Administration/Synaptic
    > package manager and searching for Thunderbird there.

    > On 2008-07-21, charles cashion wrote:
    >> After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried
    >> to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz
    >> I think the installer did it's job.
    >> Not sure which executable to run, but the only two
    >> that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing.
    >>
    >> I have tried to google for
    >> "simple step-by-step thunderbird installation"
    >> but I have failed to find it.
    >> QUESTION1: is there a simple thunderbird installation?
    >>
    >> In my previous installation, there existed
    >> /home/ccashion/.thunderbird
    >> QUESTION2: Would running setup create this
    >> subdirectory and the associated profile?
    >> QUESTION3: What is the name of the setup?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Charles

  6. Re: install thunderbird

    On 2008-07-22, charles cashion wrote:
    > i,
    > good info.
    > It worked! THANKS!
    > Now I have a new problem.
    > Everytime I bring up the address book,
    > Thunderbird crashes.

    Did you install any system libraries from any websites, as part of
    your attempt to do a DIY Thunderbird install? Would it be correct to
    say that you never installed anything? Or did you install something
    (outside of package manager, that is)

    please clarify

    > The reason I installed ubuntu was because FC4
    > kept crashing. FC4 crashed at unpredictable times.
    > Now... ubuntu 7.10 crashes when I open Thunderbird
    > and access the address book.
    >
    > I have searched alt.os.linux.ubuntu to see if this
    > is a known problem (no luck). I wonder if I could
    > catch this bugger in the act and ... and ... what?
    >
    > My alternative is to run memory diagnostics and
    > cpu diagnostics and hard drive diagnostics. and you
    > get the picture.I am hoping that this desktop is
    > still ok if I fix one thing.
    > Charles
    >
    > Ignoramus14558 wrote:
    >> Thunderbird is part of Ubuntu distribution and should be downloaded
    >> from the repository where the rest ofubuntu resides.
    >>
    >> you need to open Programs/Accessories/terminal
    >>
    >> and type
    >>
    >> sudo aptitude -y install thunderbird
    >>
    >> You can do the same thing by starting System/Administration/Synaptic
    >> package manager and searching for Thunderbird there.

    >> On 2008-07-21, charles cashion wrote:
    >>> After I installed ubuntu 7.10, I downloaded and tried
    >>> to install thunderbird.2.0.0.14.tar.gz
    >>> I think the installer did it's job.
    >>> Not sure which executable to run, but the only two
    >>> that try to run indicate that libstdc++.so.5 is missing.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to google for
    >>> "simple step-by-step thunderbird installation"
    >>> but I have failed to find it.
    >>> QUESTION1: is there a simple thunderbird installation?
    >>>
    >>> In my previous installation, there existed
    >>> /home/ccashion/.thunderbird
    >>> QUESTION2: Would running setup create this
    >>> subdirectory and the associated profile?
    >>> QUESTION3: What is the name of the setup?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Charles

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: install thunderbird

    charles cashion wrote:
    > i,
    > good info.
    > It worked! THANKS!
    > Now I have a new problem.
    > Everytime I bring up the address book,
    > Thunderbird crashes.

    Did you install Thunderbird after downloading it from the thunderbird
    homepage? If so, where did you install it? Under /opt/thunderbird?

    What's the output of

    dpkg -s thunderbird

    ?

    --
    Niklaus

  8. Re: install thunderbird

    Ignoramus14558 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Thunderbird is part of Ubuntu distribution and should be downloaded
    > from the repository where the rest ofubuntu resides.
    >
    > you need to open Programs/Accessories/terminal
    >
    > and type
    >
    > sudo aptitude -y install thunderbird

    There's no advantage to running aptitude anymore. Apt-get has caught
    up. It manages dependencies as well (some say better) than aptitude.

    In fact, aptitude is about to be marked as depracated.

    So the best way of installing is
    Open a terminal and type
    $ sudo apt-get install thunderbird.

    This will at least keep you "current" with the proper ubuntu way and
    not some advice based on dapper drake.

    --
    "Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
    people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or

+ Reply to Thread