Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird - Ubuntu ; I need a calendar that can sync with my Google/Yahoo calendars. Can either Evolution or Thunderbird (with Lightning installed) do this? Also what is Evolution like when working with imap accounts - I know T'bird is pretty good due to ...

  1. Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    I need a calendar that can sync with my Google/Yahoo calendars. Can either
    Evolution or Thunderbird (with Lightning installed) do this?

    Also what is Evolution like when working with imap accounts - I know T'bird
    is pretty good due to the folder options available.

    Thanks
    Colin

  2. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    Skipper wrote:
    > I need a calendar that can sync with my Google/Yahoo calendars. Can
    > either Evolution or Thunderbird (with Lightning installed) do this?

    I don't know about yahoo, but google calendar can only directly sync w/ OL
    outlook.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    Skipper wrote:
    > I need a calendar that can sync with my Google/Yahoo calendars. Can either
    > Evolution or Thunderbird (with Lightning installed) do this?
    >
    > Also what is Evolution like when working with imap accounts - I know T'bird
    > is pretty good due to the folder options available.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Colin

    I'd say try them both out and see which one you like best. Only you can
    decide which one is best for your needs.

  4. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:16:02 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > 'd say try them both out and see which one you like best. Only you can
    > decide which one is best for your needs.

    True, but calendar syncing is quite important so I just wondered if
    anyone had cracked it. It seems that Lightning can sync with Google via a
    T'bird plug-in so I'll try that.

    Thanks
    Colin

  5. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    Colin wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:16:02 +0100, Ben wrote:
    >
    >> 'd say try them both out and see which one you like best. Only you can
    >> decide which one is best for your needs.

    > True, but calendar syncing is quite important so I just wondered if
    > anyone had cracked it. It seems that Lightning can sync with Google via a
    > T'bird plug-in so I'll try that.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Colin

    If you can find a plugin for what you need, sure, go for it. My only
    problem with Thunderbird and Firefox addons is that they tend to make
    your memory footprint go waaaay up.

  6. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    Skipper wrote:
    > I need a calendar that can sync with my Google/Yahoo calendars. Can either
    > Evolution or Thunderbird (with Lightning installed) do this?
    >
    > Also what is Evolution like when working with imap accounts - I know T'bird
    > is pretty good due to the folder options available.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Colin

    Yes, had this working here for some time - thunderbird with the
    lightening plugin. Syncs seamlessly both ways.

    The only downside is that it slows down thunderbird starting while it
    contacts google.

  7. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    In article ,
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > I don't know about yahoo, but google calendar can only directly sync w/ OL
    > outlook

    See here:

  8. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    On 2008-07-21, Skipper wrote:
    > I need a calendar that can sync with my Google/Yahoo calendars. Can either
    > Evolution or Thunderbird (with Lightning installed) do this?

    I am not sure if it "syncs" but the latest Evolution is supposed to
    work with google calendars.

    If you really want syncing, there are some frameworks out there that
    can do this. I forget the name of it, but there was one that more or
    less ran as a service on your computer, and then T-bird used it as a
    local resource. It looked good.

    hope that helps,

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

  9. Re: Ubuntu - Evolution/Thunderbird

    Colin Grant wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I don't know about yahoo, but google calendar can only directly sync
    >> w/ OL outlook

    .... "directly" ...

    > See here:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4631

    "This extension allows Sunbird and Lightning to read and write events to a
    Google Calendar."

    Here's what google sez:

    http://www.google.com/support/calend...y?answer=98565
    Introduction to Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Sync allows you to
    sync events between Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook Calendar. -

    http://www.google.com/support/calend...y?answer=37111 Export
    your calendar data - Import data from iCal or CSV files - Migrate events
    from other applications - What is an iCal file? - Migrate events from
    other applications - Microsoft Outlook Calendar - Apple iCal Calendar -
    Yahoo! Calendar - To migrate events from other calendar applications,
    export your events in either ICAL or CSV format and import the file into
    Google Calendar.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread