Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux? - Ubuntu ; I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse that works fine under Vista, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

  1. Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell
    XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed
    because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right
    border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
    that works fine under Vista, but Dell supplies no Linux
    driver for that mouse. Is there some other brand or
    generic form of driver that I could download for it?

    *TimDaniels*



  2. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell
    > XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed
    > because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right
    > border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
    > that works fine under Vista, but Dell supplies no Linux
    > driver for that mouse. Is there some other brand or
    > generic form of driver that I could download for it?


    Have you tried connecting to it via the icon?

    Right click and select "Browse Device"

    To clear out the "noise" select "mouse" from the drop down type.

    If it doesn't show, you may well be out of luck, but bluetooth is a
    "standard". Anything that doesn't work with it is likely to be
    none-standard anyway.

    HTH

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return
    with a paper clip, which according to your very own latest government
    pentagon spending figures will more than make up for the difference." ~
    Emo Philips

  3. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    "Moog" replied:
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell
    >> XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed
    >> because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right
    >> border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
    >> that works fine under Vista, but Dell supplies no Linux
    >> driver for that mouse. Is there some other brand or
    >> generic form of driver that I could download for it?

    >
    > Have you tried connecting to it via the icon?
    >
    > Right click and select "Browse Device"
    >
    > To clear out the "noise" select "mouse" from the drop down type.
    >
    > If it doesn't show, you may well be out of luck, but bluetooth is a
    > "standard". Anything that doesn't work with it is likely to be
    > none-standard anyway.
    >
    > HTH


    I checked that the Wireless Switch was in the "1" position, then
    I turned on the Travel Mouse and pressed its transmit button and
    it flashed its blue LED, and then I rt-clicked the Bluetooth icon and
    selected Browse Device. "Dell BT Travel Mouse" was the only
    menu entry - which I selected - and then I clicked Connect.
    An error box popped up with the error msessage:

    "'obex://[00:07:61:b8:36;e3]' is not a valid location
    Please check the spelling and try again."

    Any idea what this means?

    *TimDaniels*




  4. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    "Timothy Daniels" wrote
    > "Moog" replied:
    >> Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell
    >>> XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed
    >>> because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right
    >>> border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
    >>> that works fine under Vista, but Dell supplies no Linux
    >>> driver for that mouse. Is there some other brand or
    >>> generic form of driver that I could download for it?

    >>
    >> Have you tried connecting to it via the icon?
    >>
    >> Right click and select "Browse Device"
    >>
    >> To clear out the "noise" select "mouse" from the drop down type.
    >>
    >> If it doesn't show, you may well be out of luck, but bluetooth is a
    >> "standard". Anything that doesn't work with it is likely to be
    >> none-standard anyway.
    >>
    >> HTH

    >
    > I checked that the Wireless Switch was in the "1" position, then
    > I turned on the Travel Mouse and pressed its transmit button and
    > it flashed its blue LED, and then I rt-clicked the Bluetooth icon and
    > selected Browse Device. "Dell BT Travel Mouse" was the only
    > menu entry - which I selected - and then I clicked Connect.
    > An error box popped up with the error msessage:
    >
    > "'obex://[00:07:61:b8:36;e3]' is not a valid location
    > Please check the spelling and try again."
    >
    > Any idea what this means?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*



    I've had some success (with the help of 2 guys in the Ubuntu Forums).
    Rt-clicking on the Bluetooth icon brings up a drop-down menu. Selecting
    Preferences | Services | un-checking, checking "Input service" brings up
    the Add window. With the BT Travel Mouse set to broadcast, the entry
    for the mouse should appear in the window - select it and click the "+ Add"
    button. Then rt-click the Bluetooth icon again, and select "Browse Devices".
    Select the BT Travel Mouse entry and then click Connect.

    For me, that got the pointer and the left- and right-click buttons working.
    Still dysfunctional are the Forward/Back buttons and the Left/Right wobble
    of the spin wheel. Any ideas for those?

    *TimDaniels*



  5. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote
    >> "Moog" replied:
    >>> Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell
    >>>> XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed
    >>>> because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right
    >>>> border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
    >>>> that works fine under Vista, but Dell supplies no Linux
    >>>> driver for that mouse. Is there some other brand or
    >>>> generic form of driver that I could download for it?
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried connecting to it via the icon?
    >>>
    >>> Right click and select "Browse Device"
    >>>
    >>> To clear out the "noise" select "mouse" from the drop down type.
    >>>
    >>> If it doesn't show, you may well be out of luck, but bluetooth is a
    >>> "standard". Anything that doesn't work with it is likely to be
    >>> none-standard anyway.
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >>
    >> I checked that the Wireless Switch was in the "1" position, then
    >> I turned on the Travel Mouse and pressed its transmit button and
    >> it flashed its blue LED, and then I rt-clicked the Bluetooth icon and
    >> selected Browse Device. "Dell BT Travel Mouse" was the only
    >> menu entry - which I selected - and then I clicked Connect.
    >> An error box popped up with the error msessage:
    >>
    >> "'obex://[00:07:61:b8:36;e3]' is not a valid location
    >> Please check the spelling and try again."
    >>
    >> Any idea what this means?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    >
    >
    > I've had some success (with the help of 2 guys in the Ubuntu Forums).
    > Rt-clicking on the Bluetooth icon brings up a drop-down menu. Selecting
    > Preferences | Services | un-checking, checking "Input service" brings up
    > the Add window. With the BT Travel Mouse set to broadcast, the entry
    > for the mouse should appear in the window - select it and click the "+ Add"
    > button. Then rt-click the Bluetooth icon again, and select "Browse Devices".
    > Select the BT Travel Mouse entry and then click Connect.
    >
    > For me, that got the pointer and the left- and right-click buttons working.
    > Still dysfunctional are the Forward/Back buttons and the Left/Right wobble
    > of the spin wheel. Any ideas for those?


    Hi Tim.

    I don't use a bluetooth mouse here, nor have any access to one.
    The following webpage may give you a few pointers.

    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setu...in-ubuntu.html

    Good luck.

    --
    "I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was
    responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was
    conscious from the top of her head to the tag on her toes." ~ Emo
    Philips

  6. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    "Moog" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> "Timothy Daniels" wrote
    >>> "Moog" replied:
    >>>> Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) running on my Dell
    >>>>> XPS-M1330 laptop. Bluetooth seems to be installed
    >>>>> because the Bluetooth icon displays at the upper right
    >>>>> border. I also have a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
    >>>>> that works fine under Vista, but Dell supplies no Linux
    >>>>> driver for that mouse. Is there some other brand or
    >>>>> generic form of driver that I could download for it?
    >>>>
    >>>> Have you tried connecting to it via the icon?
    >>>>
    >>>> Right click and select "Browse Device"
    >>>>
    >>>> To clear out the "noise" select "mouse" from the drop down type.
    >>>>
    >>>> If it doesn't show, you may well be out of luck, but bluetooth is a
    >>>> "standard". Anything that doesn't work with it is likely to be
    >>>> none-standard anyway.
    >>>>
    >>>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> I checked that the Wireless Switch was in the "1" position, then
    >>> I turned on the Travel Mouse and pressed its transmit button and
    >>> it flashed its blue LED, and then I rt-clicked the Bluetooth icon and
    >>> selected Browse Device. "Dell BT Travel Mouse" was the only
    >>> menu entry - which I selected - and then I clicked Connect.
    >>> An error box popped up with the error msessage:
    >>>
    >>> "'obex://[00:07:61:b8:36;e3]' is not a valid location
    >>> Please check the spelling and try again."
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what this means?
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >>
    >>
    >> I've had some success (with the help of 2 guys in the Ubuntu Forums).
    >> Rt-clicking on the Bluetooth icon brings up a drop-down menu. Selecting
    >> Preferences | Services | un-checking, checking "Input service" brings up
    >> the Add window. With the BT Travel Mouse set to broadcast, the entry
    >> for the mouse should appear in the window - select it and click the "+ Add"
    >> button. Then rt-click the Bluetooth icon again, and select "Browse Devices".
    >> Select the BT Travel Mouse entry and then click Connect.
    >>
    >> For me, that got the pointer and the left- and right-click buttons
    >> working.
    >> Still dysfunctional are the Forward/Back buttons and the Left/Right wobble
    >> of the spin wheel. Any ideas for those?

    >
    > Hi Tim.
    >
    > I don't use a bluetooth mouse here, nor have any access to one.
    > The following webpage may give you a few pointers.
    >
    > http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setu...in-ubuntu.html
    >
    > Good luck.



    Thanks for the link. I did what it said (as it applied to a mouse), and
    although it didn't cause any harm, it didn't enable the Fore/Back or the
    Left/Right Scroll Wheel Tilt. My Dell BT Travel Mouse has the most
    functions of any BT mouse that I've seen advertized, so it's not surprising
    that generic Linux mouse drivers don't cover all the functions.

    *TimDaniels*



  7. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Thanks for the link. I did what it said (as it applied to a mouse), and
    > although it didn't cause any harm, it didn't enable the Fore/Back or the
    > Left/Right Scroll Wheel Tilt. My Dell BT Travel Mouse has the most
    > functions of any BT mouse that I've seen advertized, so it's not surprising
    > that generic Linux mouse drivers don't cover all the functions.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*


    Tim.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    It looks like the BT mouse was desgined purely for that other OS.

    You may wish to conact the manufacturer to see if they can supply a
    decent open source driver.

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return
    with a paper clip, which according to your very own latest government
    pentagon spending figures will more than make up for the difference." ~
    Emo Philips

  8. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    "Moog" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated:
    >> Thanks for the link. I did what it said (as it applied to a mouse), and
    >> although it didn't cause any harm, it didn't enable the Fore/Back or the
    >> Left/Right Scroll Wheel Tilt. My Dell BT Travel Mouse has the most
    >> functions of any BT mouse that I've seen advertized, so it's not surprising
    >> that generic Linux mouse drivers don't cover all the functions.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    >
    > Tim.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    >
    > It looks like the BT mouse was desgined purely for that other OS.
    >
    > You may wish to conact the manufacturer to see if they can supply a
    > decent open source driver.


    I wish I knew who the manufacturer was. The only company name
    that I can find on the mouse and in the User Guide is "Dell", and the
    User Guide was printed in China. And interestingly, using the Linux
    version of Firefox or Opera, I can't find any websites which have a
    horizontal slider control, so the "tilt" of the spin wheel so far would be
    useless. "Fore/Back" buttons would be handy, though.

    *TimDaniels*



  9. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Moog" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels illuminated:
    >>> Thanks for the link. I did what it said (as it applied to a mouse), and
    >>> although it didn't cause any harm, it didn't enable the Fore/Back or the
    >>> Left/Right Scroll Wheel Tilt. My Dell BT Travel Mouse has the most
    >>> functions of any BT mouse that I've seen advertized, so it's not surprising
    >>> that generic Linux mouse drivers don't cover all the functions.
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >>
    >> Tim.
    >>
    >> Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    >>
    >> It looks like the BT mouse was desgined purely for that other OS.
    >>
    >> You may wish to conact the manufacturer to see if they can supply a
    >> decent open source driver.

    >
    > I wish I knew who the manufacturer was. The only company name
    > that I can find on the mouse and in the User Guide is "Dell", and the
    > User Guide was printed in China. And interestingly, using the Linux
    > version of Firefox or Opera, I can't find any websites which have a
    > horizontal slider control, so the "tilt" of the spin wheel so far would be
    > useless. "Fore/Back" buttons would be handy, though.


    There must be a way Tim,

    The buttons must send a signal back somehow. All it takes is to
    interpret those signals and act on them.

    The normal way to do this would be via xorg.conf. However, your mouse
    is obviously being controlled through the bluetooth driver.

    Can you post the mouse section of xorg.conf?

    It's a long shot, but we may be able to get you "rocking" (excuse the
    pun).

    --
    On another night, they'd have won 2-2. ~ Ron Atkinson

  10. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Moog wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> "Moog" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Timothy Daniels illuminated:
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks for the link. I did what it said (as it applied to a mouse), and
    >>>> although it didn't cause any harm, it didn't enable the Fore/Back or the
    >>>> Left/Right Scroll Wheel Tilt. My Dell BT Travel Mouse has the most
    >>>> functions of any BT mouse that I've seen advertized, so it's not surprising
    >>>> that generic Linux mouse drivers don't cover all the functions.
    >>>>
    >>>> *TimDaniels*
    >>>>
    >>> Tim.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like the BT mouse was desgined purely for that other OS.
    >>>
    >>> You may wish to conact the manufacturer to see if they can supply a
    >>> decent open source driver.
    >>>

    >> I wish I knew who the manufacturer was. The only company name
    >> that I can find on the mouse and in the User Guide is "Dell", and the
    >> User Guide was printed in China. And interestingly, using the Linux
    >> version of Firefox or Opera, I can't find any websites which have a
    >> horizontal slider control, so the "tilt" of the spin wheel so far would be
    >> useless. "Fore/Back" buttons would be handy, though.
    >>

    >
    > There must be a way Tim,
    >
    > The buttons must send a signal back somehow. All it takes is to
    > interpret those signals and act on them.
    >
    > The normal way to do this would be via xorg.conf. However, your mouse
    > is obviously being controlled through the bluetooth driver.
    >
    > Can you post the mouse section of xorg.conf?
    >
    > It's a long shot, but we may be able to get you "rocking" (excuse the
    > pun).



    He can examine the mouse button events with the xev command. It shows
    all actions of the mouse when the pointer is inside the window it opens.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  11. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?


    "Moog" wrote in message
    news:slrng8pii7.vbu.efcmoog@hardy.invalid...
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> "Moog" wrote:
    >>> Timothy Daniels illuminated:
    >>>> Thanks for the link. I did what it said (as it applied to a mouse),
    >>>> and
    >>>> although it didn't cause any harm, it didn't enable the Fore/Back or the
    >>>> Left/Right Scroll Wheel Tilt. My Dell BT Travel Mouse has the most
    >>>> functions of any BT mouse that I've seen advertized, so it's not surprising
    >>>> that generic Linux mouse drivers don't cover all the functions.
    >>>>
    >>>> *TimDaniels*
    >>>
    >>> Tim.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like the BT mouse was desgined purely for that other OS.
    >>>
    >>> You may wish to conact the manufacturer to see if they can supply a
    >>> decent open source driver.

    >>
    >> I wish I knew who the manufacturer was. The only company name
    >> that I can find on the mouse and in the User Guide is "Dell", and the
    >> User Guide was printed in China. And interestingly, using the Linux
    >> version of Firefox or Opera, I can't find any websites which have a
    >> horizontal slider control, so the "tilt" of the spin wheel so far would be
    >> useless. "Fore/Back" buttons would be handy, though.

    >
    > There must be a way Tim,
    >
    > The buttons must send a signal back somehow. All it takes is to
    > interpret those signals and act on them.
    >
    > The normal way to do this would be via xorg.conf. However, your mouse
    > is obviously being controlled through the bluetooth driver.
    >
    > Can you post the mouse section of xorg.conf?
    >
    > It's a long shot, but we may be able to get you "rocking" (excuse the
    > pun).
    >
    > --


    Here are what I guess to be the pertinent sections of xorg.conf:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen "Default Screen"
    Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
    Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"
    Inputdevice "Synaptifcs Touchpad"
    EndSection


    I hope you can glean something from that, Moog. I tried the changes
    to xorg.conf that were given in "Example 4" (7-button Dell mouse) of
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto , but
    neither the tilt nor the fore/back buttons worked, even after a restart.

    *TimDaniels*



  12. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > Here are what I guess to be the pertinent sections of xorg.conf:
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "CorePointer"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Default Layout"
    > screen "Default Screen"
    > Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
    > Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"
    > Inputdevice "Synaptifcs Touchpad"
    > EndSection
    >
    >
    > I hope you can glean something from that, Moog. I tried the changes
    > to xorg.conf that were given in "Example 4" (7-button Dell mouse) of
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto , but
    > neither the tilt nor the fore/back buttons worked, even after a restart.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*


    Tim, was the "f" in syanpatics a simple typo above?

    I'm not sure how to combat this as I only use one bluetooth device (a
    phone). There has surely got to be a way to do this, and you seem to
    have tried everything I could suggest.

    The only thing I can suggest is checking anyone who uses one.

    There seem to be a good number of posts here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87919

    Let us know how you get on, and sorry I couldn't be of more
    assistance.

    --
    "I got some new underwear the other day. Well, new to me." ~ Emo Philips

  13. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    "Moog" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> Here are what I guess to be the pertinent sections of xorg.conf:
    >>
    >> Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    >> Driver "mouse"
    >> Option "CorePointer"
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    >> Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "Default Layout"
    >> screen "Default Screen"
    >> Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
    >> Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"
    >> Inputdevice "Synaptifcs Touchpad"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >>
    >> I hope you can glean something from that, Moog. I tried the changes
    >> to xorg.conf that were given in "Example 4" (7-button Dell mouse) of
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto , but
    >> neither the tilt nor the fore/back buttons worked, even after a restart.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    >
    > Tim, was the "f" in syanpatics a simple typo above?


    Yes.


    > I'm not sure how to combat this as I only use one bluetooth device (a
    > phone). There has surely got to be a way to do this, and you seem to
    > have tried everything I could suggest.
    >
    > The only thing I can suggest is checking anyone who uses one.
    >
    > There seem to be a good number of posts here
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87919
    >
    > Let us know how you get on, and sorry I couldn't be of more
    > assistance.



    Well, thanks for the encouragement, anyway. It turns out that
    there is a small incompatibility between Logitech's "SetPoint" software
    and Synaptic's touchpad driver, so that pointer speed settings for the
    touchpad are erased at the next startup when running Vista So it's
    not surprising that things are more unsorted for Linux - for which
    Logitech does not provide drivers.

    As a point of information, I just got off the phone after 2 1/2 hours
    with Dell tech reps, and we proved the incompatibility under Vista,
    so now Dell is "researching" it since they don't want to say that the
    incompatibilty exists even when the laptop and mouse are bundled as
    a single purchase. It's a small incompatibility, but it means that you
    can't use the Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse (made by Logitech) and
    the touchpad of several Dell laptops with equal ease.

    As for running the Dell BT Travel Mouse under Linux, it may be
    of help to someone to see that Logitech's recent MX900 Bluetooth
    Optical Mouse is just a bigger version of the Dell mouse, and if anyone
    was able to get the MX900 working under Linux, the Dell mouse
    could just follow suit. But as far as I can tell, no one has gotten all
    the features of the MX900 working under Linux. Does Microsoft
    "own" Logitech or something to prevent Logitech from opening up
    the Linux market for its products?

    It's easy now for me to see what the big obstacle is to getting
    Linux better adopted by Joe Average - it's the driver issue. Joe
    just wants to plug something in and see it work. He doesn't want
    to cobble together a suitable config file that adapts a driver from
    some other similar device (that he first has to find). I hope the driver
    situation improves - maybe w/drivers coming from Europe or Asia?

    *TimDaniels*



  14. Re: Bluetooth mouse driver for Linux?

    Timothy Daniels illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > It's easy now for me to see what the big obstacle is to getting
    > Linux better adopted by Joe Average - it's the driver issue. Joe
    > just wants to plug something in and see it work. He doesn't want
    > to cobble together a suitable config file that adapts a driver from
    > some other similar device (that he first has to find). I hope the driver
    > situation improves - maybe w/drivers coming from Europe or Asia?


    The driver situation will only improve if people keep requesting them
    from the manufacturer. The penny will drop one day.

    As an aside, the manufacturers are obviously driving their hardware in
    none-standard ways. This is the issue for Linux. Unless someone is
    bothered reverse engineering an open source driver for it, we have to
    rely on what the manufacturer supply. Which is, for a lot of
    manufacturers, nothing.

    Manufacturers that do supply drivers, such as HP, should be supported
    wherever possible.

    --
    "So I rang up a local building firm, I said 'I want a skip outside my
    house.' He said 'I'm not stopping you.' ~ Tim Vine

+ Reply to Thread