How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers? - Ubuntu ; All, I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions, but only the old drivers are in the system. GK...

  1. How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    All,

    I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions, but
    only the old drivers are in the system.

    GK

  2. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    GrailKing wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    > error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions, but
    > only the old drivers are in the system.
    >
    > GK

    Use Sudo, or just log in as root to install it.

  3. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:11:31 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    > error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions, but
    > only the old drivers are in the system.
    >
    > GK

    dont even try. don't d/l things from the web. use what's in the
    repositories. in this case use enyng to install nvidia/ati drivers. you
    are still thinking like a windroid.

  4. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:46:57 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:11:31 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    >> error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions,
    >> but only the old drivers are in the system.
    >>
    >> GK

    > dont even try. don't d/l things from the web. use what's in the
    > repositories. in this case use enyng to install nvidia/ati drivers. you
    > are still thinking like a windroid.

    sorry to follow up to myself, bad form and all that.

    That should have read Envyng. Alternatively try glx-new from the
    repositories.

  5. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    Derek Turner schrieb:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:46:57 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:11:31 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >>
    >>> All,
    >>>
    >>> I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    >>> error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions,
    >>> but only the old drivers are in the system.
    >>>
    >>> GK

    >> dont even try. don't d/l things from the web. use what's in the
    >> repositories. in this case use enyng to install nvidia/ati drivers. you
    >> are still thinking like a windroid.

    > sorry to follow up to myself, bad form and all that.
    >
    > That should have read Envyng. Alternatively try glx-new from the
    > repositories.

    You mean nvidia-glx-new.

    --
    Markward Kufleitner ( http://mkufleitner.homepage.t-online.de/ )
    Tel: +49 441 9601993 | Fax: +49 1805 06034866400

  6. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:39:18 -0400, Derek Turner
    wrote:

    > Envyng

    When I did a search for Nvidia last night using SPM nothing was found, I
    typed in Envyng and get a synopsis for ATI and Nvidia drivers; qestion now
    is whats the difference between core,gtk and qt I have 3 choices but the
    synopsis dosn't change for either of them.

    GK

  7. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:15:19 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:39:18 -0400, Derek Turner
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Envyng

    > When I did a search for Nvidia last night using SPM nothing was found

    probably because *nix, unlike windoze, is case-sensitive try nvidia.

    > typed in Envyng and get a synopsis for ATI and Nvidia drivers; qestion
    > now is whats the difference between core,gtk and qt I have 3 choices but
    > the synopsis dosn't change for either of them.
    >

    > GK

    qt and gtk are merely alternative GUI front-ends for envyng. Choosing
    either in synaptic will automatically ask to install core as a
    dependency. As you're using gnome go with GTK, if you choose qt you will
    pull in all the qt dependencies, if you haven't already got qt installed.

  8. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:13:38 +0200, Markward Kufleitner wrote:

    > You mean nvidia-glx-new.

    mea culpa, so I do

  9. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:45:44 -0400, Derek Turner
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:15:19 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:39:18 -0400, Derek Turner
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Envyng

    >> When I did a search for Nvidia last night using SPM nothing was found

    > probably because *nix, unlike windoze, is case-sensitive try nvidia.
    >
    >> typed in Envyng and get a synopsis for ATI and Nvidia drivers; qestion
    >> now is whats the difference between core,gtk and qt I have 3 choices but
    >> the synopsis dosn't change for either of them.
    >>

    >> GK

    > qt and gtk are merely alternative GUI front-ends for envyng. Choosing
    > either in synaptic will automatically ask to install core as a
    > dependency. As you're using gnome go with GTK, if you choose qt you will
    > pull in all the qt dependencies, if you haven't already got qt installed.

    Almost there, I got my resolution the way I want it, I got some sound, I
    ticked ES1371-DAC2/ADC, so I get my MP3 to play, but videos from CNN or
    BBC will play with no audio so thats my next task to get them to play, I
    thought flash had sound with it.

    GK

  10. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    GrailKing illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > All,
    >
    > I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    > error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions, but
    > only the old drivers are in the system.
    >
    > GK

    No. You have no need to do this.

    Select
    System -> Adminstration -> Hardware Drivers

    Drivers that match your Nvidia card are already available. You just
    need to place a tick in the box of the relevent section of the
    "Hardware Drivers" box to enable them.

    --
    "I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children
    jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know

  11. Re: How do I install Nvidia x86-177.13-pkg1 drivers?

    Derek Turner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:11:31 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I double click the package and terminal gave me a must be run in root
    >> error, I looked that up using google and try to follow instructions, but
    >> only the old drivers are in the system.
    >>
    >> GK

    > dont even try. don't d/l things from the web. use what's in the
    > repositories. in this case use enyng to install nvidia/ati drivers. you
    > are still thinking like a windroid.

    There's absoltely no need for Envyng. "Hardware Drivers" will handle
    it all seamlessly.

    --
    "So I got home, and the phone was ringing. I picked it up, and said
    'Who's speaking please?' And a voice said 'You are.'" ~ Tim Vine

+ Reply to Thread