libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it? - Ubuntu ; I tried to install a piece of software (Pro/Engineer Wildfire 3.0 for Linux, it's a 3D CAD), but the installer failed and complained about missing file: lisbstdc++.so.5 This seems to be the "standard" C++ library. Anyone knows if it exists ...

  1. libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it?

    I tried to install a piece of software (Pro/Engineer Wildfire 3.0 for Linux,
    it's a 3D CAD),
    but the installer failed and complained about missing file: lisbstdc++.so.5

    This seems to be the "standard" C++ library. Anyone knows if it exists for
    Ubuntu?
    Can tell where to find it? Perhaps other version of this library would work,
    too.
    Is there a Ubuntu package containing this library?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it?

    KW wrote:
    > I tried to install a piece of software (Pro/Engineer Wildfire 3.0 for Linux,
    > it's a 3D CAD),
    > but the installer failed and complained about missing file: lisbstdc++.so.5

    > This seems to be the "standard" C++ library. Anyone knows if it exists for
    > Ubuntu?
    > Can tell where to find it? Perhaps other version of this library would work,
    > too.
    > Is there a Ubuntu package containing this library?

    $ apt-cache search libstdc
    lib64stdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (64bit)
    libstdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  3. Re: libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it?

    Użytkownik "Niklaus Kuehnis" napisał w
    wiadomości news:4883b0e8$0$16177$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch...
    > KW wrote:

    (...)
    >> Is there a Ubuntu package containing this library?

    > $ apt-cache search libstdc
    > lib64stdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (64bit)
    > libstdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    > libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    >
    > HTH,
    > Niklaus

    Thanks. It really helped, I could install the older version of the package.
    The newer was already installed, but I could not find it before.
    I like this "apt-cache search" command, will be useful many more times.

    My Pro/Engineer setup proceeded a bit, but it stopped again - complaining
    about another missing shared library. It needs libXm.so.3.
    I tried your command (searching for libXm), but this did not give me any
    good hint.
    It listed many XML related packages, which are probably not related to that
    file.

    I'll try to search for it in a different way...
    Chris

  4. Re: libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it?

    "KW" wrote:

    > Użytkownik "Niklaus Kuehnis" napisał w
    > wiadomości news:4883b0e8$0$16177$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch...
    >> KW wrote:

    > (...)
    >>> Is there a Ubuntu package containing this library?

    >> $ apt-cache search libstdc
    >> lib64stdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (64bit)
    >> libstdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    >> libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Niklaus
    >>

    > Thanks. It really helped, I could install the older version of the package.
    > The newer was already installed, but I could not find it before.
    > I like this "apt-cache search" command, will be useful many more times.
    >
    > My Pro/Engineer setup proceeded a bit, but it stopped again - complaining
    > about another missing shared library. It needs libXm.so.3.
    > I tried your command (searching for libXm), but this did not give me any
    > good hint.

    Use apt-file to search for file names:

    diesch@scenic:~% apt-file search libXm.so.3
    libmotif3: /usr/lib/libXm.so.3
    libmotif3: /usr/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2

    Florian

  5. Re: libstdc++ for Ubuntu. How/where to get it?

    Uzytkownik "Florian Diesch" napisal w wiadomosci
    > "KW" wrote:

    (...)

    >> My Pro/Engineer setup proceeded a bit, but it stopped again - complaining
    >> about another missing shared library. It needs libXm.so.3.
    >> I tried your command (searching for libXm), but this did not give me any
    >> good hint.

    > Use apt-file to search for file names:
    >
    > diesch@scenic:~% apt-file search libXm.so.3
    > libmotif3: /usr/lib/libXm.so.3
    > libmotif3: /usr/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2

    Thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime I tried to search for the package
    name
    and came to similar results, i.e. it probably belongs to Open Motif.
    I used the Debian web page to search packages' contents
    - http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages - it's a nice and simple
    multilanguage site.

    However some other web pages suggested also that this libXm library can
    belong
    to Java runtime. I will check first the Motif library if it works.

    Chris