Problems with Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage) driver Ubuntu 8.04: TVtime, XAWTV, mplayer - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problems with Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage) driver Ubuntu 8.04: TVtime, XAWTV, mplayer - Ubuntu ; I get a very crazy picture with these apps. I think its because of the video driver. How can I set another video driver. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work. There is also no proprietary driver for this card. Yours Hans...

  1. Problems with Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage) driver Ubuntu 8.04: TVtime, XAWTV, mplayer

    I get a very crazy picture with these apps. I think its because of the video
    driver. How can I set another video driver. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    does not work. There is also no proprietary driver for this card.

    Yours Hans

  2. Re: Problems with Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage) driver Ubuntu 8.04: TVtime,XAWTV, mplayer

    J.M.Goebel wrote:
    > I get a very crazy picture with these apps. I think its because of the video
    > driver. How can I set another video driver. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    > does not work. There is also no proprietary driver for this card.
    >
    > Yours Hans

    http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/problems.html#undetected
    9. XVideo initialization problem with the savage driver

    We've investigated a bug where the savage X driver does not
    initialize its XVideo subsystem unless it starts on a modeline where
    the resolution equals the virtual resolution. That is, if you have a
    virtual resolution of 1600x1200, make sure you start on a 1600x1200
    mode, otherwise XVideo won't initialize.

    This bug was noted on the XFree86 devel list.

    HTH

    --
    Bob
    Calling alcoholism 'a disease' is

  3. Re: Problems with Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage) driver Ubuntu 8.04: TVtime, XAWTV, mplayer

    I use a resolution of 1024x768. I didn't adjust the virtual resolution. I
    think that overlay does not work with the installed driver so I would like
    to try another driver, but I don't know how to change the driver....!

    Hans
    "Bob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > J.M.Goebel wrote:
    >> I get a very crazy picture with these apps. I think its because of the
    >> video driver. How can I set another video driver. dpkg-reconfigure
    >> xserver-xorg does not work. There is also no proprietary driver for this
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Yours Hans

    > http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/problems.html#undetected
    > 9. XVideo initialization problem with the savage driver
    >
    > We've investigated a bug where the savage X driver does not initialize its
    > XVideo subsystem unless it starts on a modeline where the resolution
    > equals the virtual resolution. That is, if you have a virtual resolution
    > of 1600x1200, make sure you start on a 1600x1200 mode, otherwise XVideo
    > won't initialize.
    >
    > This bug was noted on the XFree86 devel list.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Bob
    > Calling alcoholism 'a disease' is
    > the politically correct substitute for 'a self induced insanity.'

  4. Re: Problems with Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage) driver Ubuntu 8.04: TVtime, XAWTV, mplayer

    Ich habe jetzt ne Geforce2MX installiert, die funktioniert einwandfrei....
    "J.M.Goebel" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I use a resolution of 1024x768. I didn't adjust the virtual resolution. I
    >think that overlay does not work with the installed driver so I would like
    >to try another driver, but I don't know how to change the driver....!
    >
    > Hans
    > "Bob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> J.M.Goebel wrote:
    >>> I get a very crazy picture with these apps. I think its because of the
    >>> video driver. How can I set another video driver. dpkg-reconfigure
    >>> xserver-xorg does not work. There is also no proprietary driver for this
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> Yours Hans

    >> http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/problems.html#undetected
    >> 9. XVideo initialization problem with the savage driver
    >>
    >> We've investigated a bug where the savage X driver does not initialize
    >> its XVideo subsystem unless it starts on a modeline where the resolution
    >> equals the virtual resolution. That is, if you have a virtual resolution
    >> of 1600x1200, make sure you start on a 1600x1200 mode, otherwise XVideo
    >> won't initialize.
    >>
    >> This bug was noted on the XFree86 devel list.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob
    >> Calling alcoholism 'a disease' is
    >> the politically correct substitute for 'a self induced insanity.'

+ Reply to Thread