Kalarm - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kalarm - Ubuntu ; I have been using kalarm for a couple of years now. The alarms always popped up on top of all other windows. Recently, the alarms only shows up as icons on my KDE taskbar. How do I get the alarms ...

  1. Kalarm

    I have been using kalarm for a couple of years now. The alarms
    always popped up on top of all other windows. Recently, the
    alarms only shows up as icons on my KDE taskbar.

    How do I get the alarms to pop up as before?

    Kubuntu 8.04

  2. Re: Kalarm

    don wrote:
    > I have been using kalarm for a couple of years now. The alarms
    > always popped up on top of all other windows. Recently, the
    > alarms only shows up as icons on my KDE taskbar.
    >
    > How do I get the alarms to pop up as before?

    I'm not using kalarm, but there is a kalarm handbook^1.

    The handbook sez that the alarm windows display on the kde desktop and
    cannot be covered by ordinary windows. The links to various parts of the
    kalarm handbook do not provide for a reconfiguration in which the alarms
    only show on the taskbar.

    I would say that your kalarm is b0rken, not misconfigured. That would
    seem to require a reinstall.

    http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdepim/kalarm/index.html The KAlarm Handbook

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Kalarm

    On 2008-07-20, Mike Easter wrote:
    > don wrote:
    >> I have been using kalarm for a couple of years now. The alarms
    >> always popped up on top of all other windows. Recently, the
    >> alarms only shows up as icons on my KDE taskbar.
    >>
    >> How do I get the alarms to pop up as before?

    > I'm not using kalarm, but there is a kalarm handbook^1.
    >
    > The handbook sez that the alarm windows display on the kde desktop and
    > cannot be covered by ordinary windows. The links to various parts of the
    > kalarm handbook do not provide for a reconfiguration in which the alarms
    > only show on the taskbar.
    >
    > I would say that your kalarm is b0rken, not misconfigured. That would
    > seem to require a reinstall.
    >
    > http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdepim/kalarm/index.html The KAlarm Handbook

    Thanks Mike. I will reinstall after I figure out where the
    alarm files are kept.

  4. Re: Kalarm

    don wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> don wrote:

    >>> How do I get the alarms to pop up as before?

    >> I would say that your kalarm is b0rken, not misconfigured. That would
    >> seem to require a reinstall.

    > Thanks Mike. I will reinstall after I figure out where the
    > alarm files are kept.

    Kalarm is in the repos. I recently replaced my kub 7.04 with Mandriva, so
    I don't have the same Adept as before; I can't remember exactly how
    kalarm looks in there.

    In Mandriva, the rpm package management looks different than kub's adept.
    Kalarm is installed by default in mandriva and it is just part of the kde
    PIM and doesn't isolate for reinstall. Freespire is kde but its default
    doesn't handle the package management with adept or synaptic, but only CNR
    unless you enhance its package management. Mepis is kde but its default
    handles the packages with synaptic, which turns out to work great on this
    kalarm problem.

    The default config of mepis installs kalarm and synaptic search on kalarm
    shows it as an 'item' which can be reinstalled, and synaptic also shows
    all of its dependencies.

    Sometimes synaptic works a lot better than its alternatives. I'll bet
    that if you installed synpatic into your kubuntu and searched on kalarm,
    it would 'isolate' it for you so that you could reinstall it 'by name'.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread