where are firefox's temp files? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on where are firefox's temp files? - Ubuntu ; There are times when I'd like to move to my home directory one or two of the graphics files the browser has retrieved when presenting a web page. Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files? I can retrieve youtube ...

  1. where are firefox's temp files?

    There are times when I'd like to move to my home directory one or two of
    the graphics files the browser has retrieved when presenting a web page.

    Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files? I can retrieve
    youtube mp4s from /tmp but ordinary jpgs aren't found there.

    I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and Firefox 3

    Thanks.

  2. Re: where are firefox's temp files?

    John Savage schrieb:

    > Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files?

    In the ~/.mozilla/firefox//Cache folder.

    Martin.
    --
    OS: openSUSE 10.2 (i586)
    Kernel: 2.6.18.8-0.10-default

  3. Re: where are firefox's temp files?

    John Savage wrote:
    > There are times when I'd like to move to my home directory one or two of
    > the graphics files the browser has retrieved when presenting a web page.

    Right-click --> 'save image as'?

    What am I missing?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: where are firefox's temp files?

    >> Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files?
    > In the ~/.mozilla/firefox//Cache folder.

    It's called a profile directory. A profile contains your bookmarks,
    passswords, history, cache, ... "firefox -p" would bring up the profile
    manager.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26

  5. Re: where are firefox's temp files?

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:52:08 +0200, Martin Schnitkemper wrote:

    > John Savage schrieb:
    >
    >> Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files?

    > In the ~/.mozilla/firefox//Cache folder.

    However finding anything in there is not easy, filenames are just a hex
    string. If jbb's suggestion doesn't work for some reason open about:cache
    in a new tab and list your disk cache from there.
    You can also look at Page Info , look in the Media section.

  6. Re: where are firefox's temp files?

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" writes:
    >>> Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files?

    >> In the ~/.mozilla/firefox//Cache folder.

    >It's called a profile directory. A profile contains your bookmarks,
    >passswords, history, cache, ... "firefox -p" would bring up the profile
    >manager.

    $ firefox -p
    run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin.pure.

    Maybe this means that my firefox is not correctly installed?

    But you prompted me to go looking for a profile file, and this
    looks like it:

    $ cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

    [Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=zika351z.default

    Thanks.

  7. Re: where are firefox's temp files?

    Martin Schnitkemper writes:
    >John Savage schrieb:
    >
    >> Where could I find Firefox's temporary graphics files?

    >In the ~/.mozilla/firefox//Cache folder.

    Exactly what I wanted.

    It's ~/.mozilla/firefox/zika351z.default/Cache here I discovered, but
    I see how I can change that.